Thread: ADF&G News Release. . .

Default ADF&G News Release. . .

Just in from ADF&G Sport Fish Division, July 25, 2006:
    Kenai River Sockeye Salmon Fishery Closure Includes Catch And Release

This closure prohibits the targeting of sockeye salmon for catch-and-release fishing.

Sockeye fishing remains open in the "fly-fishing only waters" at the confluence of the Russian River

Not that I doub't you, but do you have a link to this on the adf&g website?

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Web site address. . .

The Web address posted above by AKmud is correct. Here's the text of the release:

Region 2-Southcentral News Release
    (Released: July 25, 2006)
    KENAI RIVER SOCKEYE SALMON FISHERY CLOSURE INCLUDES CATCH AND RELEASE

Anglers are reminded that the sport fishery for sockeye salmon is closed in all waters of the Kenai River open to salmon fishing except in the Russian River and the Kenai River “fly-fishing-only waters” at the confluence of the Russian River, including that portion of the Kenai River from ADF&G regulatory markers located approximately 300 yards upstream of the public boat launch at Sportsman’s Landing downstream to the power line. This closure prohibits the targeting of sockeye salmon for catch-and-release fishing. Any sockeye salmon accidentally hooked while fishing for other species in the area closed to sockeye salmon fishing must be released immediately.

The Alaska Department of Fish and Game will continue to monitor the run with all tools available in upper Cook Inlet, including, but not limited to, sonar projects, test fishing, and harvest monitoring. Information from these projects helps guide the Department’s management actions on Kenai River late-run sockeye salmon. In general, sockeye salmon stocks throughout Alaska have been returning later than normal and the Department hopes that the Kenai River sockeye salmon run is also late, rather than as weak as it currently looks. If the run strength unexpectedly and significantly increases, management options may include the lifting of certain restrictions in the commercial, sport, personal use, and educational fisheries. If not, management actions may include continued restrictions to the commercial, sport, personal use, and educational fisheries.

For additional information contact George Pappas, Area Management Biologist, (907) 262-9368.

I automatically assumed it included catch and release in the closure, guess it's a good thing Fish and Game released that info.

Default Sockeye Closure

Looks like the reds are starting to pile in the Kenai. Fifty thousand came through the sonar yesterday, and 43,000 the day before. Total (cumulative) fish in the river is at 271,000. I hope the fish are just late, and ADF&G opens the Kenai back up to fishing in a week or two. How many fish do they need for escapement?

500,000 to 1,000,000 spawning sockeye is the goal.

Default Don't quote me...

Don't quote me on this, but I think minimum escapement is 650,000.

Straight from the EO.

The Kenai River Late Run Sockeye Salmon Management Plan (5 AAC 21.360) directs the Department to achieve an in-river sonar estimate of 650,000 to 850,000 sockeye (red) salmon as well as an optimum escapement goal of 500,000 – 1,000,000 spawning sockeye salmon.

The title of this thread got me all excited! Thought they were gonna open it................I just can't let go........

Default Kenai Reds....again

Can anyone tell me if the Commercial Terminal Fishery at the mouth of the Kasilof intercepted many Kenai Reds? Talk about alot of boats and nets in one place. It had quite an impact on the Kasilof King fishing.

Default Kasilof Commercial Fishery

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag.
    Can anyone tell me if the Commercial Terminal Fishery at the mouth of the Kasilof intercepted many Kenai Reds? Talk about alot of boats and nets in one place. It had quite an impact on the Kasilof King fishing.
    I DON'T USUALLY FEEL BAD FOR GUIDES, BUT I HAVE TO SAY THAT THIS MUST BE HITTING THE 2ND RUN CHINOOK ON THE KASILOF HARD, AND I DON'T KNOW HOW THE GUIDES ARE DOING BUT I WOULD GUESS THIS HAS REALLY AFFECTED THEIR BUSINESS.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Escapement Goals

For the record, there are multiple goals for the Kenai River late-run sockeye salmon.

1) Sustainable Escapement Goal (SEG) 500,000 - 800,000. SEG means a level of escapement, indicated by an index or an escapement estimate, that is known to provide for sustained yeild over a 5 to 10 year period, used in situations where a biological escapement goal (BEG) cannot be estimated due to the absence of a stock specific catch estimate; the SEG is the primary management objective for the escapement, unless an optimal escapement (OEG) or inriver run goal has been adopted by the BOF, and will be developed from the best available biological information; the SEG will be determined by the department and will be stated as a range that takes into account data uncertainty; the department will seek to maintain escapements within the bounds of the SEG;

2) Optimal Escapement Goal (OEG) 500,000 - 1,000,000. OEG means a specific management objective for salmon escapement that considers biological and allocative factors and may differ from the SEG or BEG; an OEG will be sustainable and may be expressed as a range with the lower bound above the level of Sustained Escapement Threshold (SET), and will be adopted as a regulation by the board; the department will seek to maintain evenly distributed escapements within the bounds of the OEG;

3) Inriver Run Goal 650,000 - 850,000 (at run strengths of less than 2 million). Inriver run goal means a specific management objective for salmon stocks that are subject to harvest upstream of the point where escapement is estimated; the inriver run goal will be set in regulation by the board and is comprised of the SEG, BEG, or OEG, plus specific allocations to inriver fisheries;

So for the commercial fisheries this year, they are managed to put 650,000 - 850,000 past the sonar. For the sport fisheries and the PU fisheries, they can be open subject to the requirement of achieving the lower end of the OEG. The board basically allocated 150,000 sockeye to the inriver user above the sonar at run strengths of less than 2 million.

The inriver run goal range varies depending upon Kenai River run strengths. At run strengths of 2 to 4 million, the inriver run goal is 750,000-950,000. At run strengths greater than 4 million the inriver run goal is 850,000 - 1,100,000.

Remember when you are looking at past reports that only show what the sonar estimate was, you still need to subtract inriver harvest above the sonar to get the final escapement estimate. This harvest can range from 150,000 to 250,000.

Smile some minor but important corrections

akkona has it right for the most part but there are a few corrections. According to the management plans the commercial, sport fisheries, and PU fisheries are to be managed for the inriver goal of 650-000 to 850,000. Following are the words from the plan.

The Kenai River late-run sockeye salmon commercial, sport, and personal use fisheries shall be managed to

(1) meet an optimum escapement goal (OEG) range of 500,000 - 1,000,000 late-run sockeye salmon;

(2) achieve inriver goals as established by the board and measured at the Kenai River sonar counter located at river mile 19; and

So the Department should close the sport fisheries and PU fisheries below the counter to acheive the in-river goal of 650,000 to 850,000.

Second, the minimum inriver sport fish allocation above the sonar counter is 150,000. The maximum harvest can be 350,000. So the Board did not allocate only 150,000 fish to the sport fisheries - they allocated up to 350,000 fish if the Department were to put in 850,000 sockeye past the counters.

This is not to take akkona to task. The reason I point this out if for people to understand why certain fisheries must be closed or opened according to the plans. In addition when making allocation comments everyone should know exactly what has been allocated.

These plans are complex and in a number of cases not consistent between the plans. Everyone has a hard time understanding them.