Thread: Growling Lab

Default Growling Lab

I adopted a 2 year old lab. He was trained for hunting but he has some issues.

He totally freaks around other dogs wineing,barking, just goes nuts

and he growls at my wife especially early in the morning when she comes up stairs and we he and I are still snoozing and if she puts her face near him.

Any suggestions on breaking these behaviors? I think he was beat up some by previous owners so really getting on him with physical punishment is really not in the equation. He's a nice dog loves me.. I take him to obedience (although he doesn't need that kind of training) to socialize him with other dogs but now he has been 86ed from the main class as no one could get anything done with his carrying on.

Default wife....

Have your wife be a part of the training....obedience sessions etc. He sees her a threat...its a hierarchy issue. Or.. he was mistreated by a woman. He has to know he is lowest in the social order but your wife has to be apart of the equation.

I would suggest getting him around other dogs.....not many at one time. I think to many dogs at once in your class. Hopefully you have friends that would be willing to spend the time as a group. Maybe just one or two that are good natured well trained. Do it often..he will see that the correct behavior is rewarded. It will take ALOT of your time but worth it....you are right not to give up. I had a two year old femal lab with issues. I never gave up and she turned out to be one of my best dogs ever.
    Last edited by coastal ghost; 02-12-2008 at 09:56. Reason: adding comments
    Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.

How long have you had this dog?
    A lot of problems can develop over time from the lack of "proper" socialization. It could be with dogs or with people or any strange situation. These particular dogs never learn to cope because there wasn't a leader or a teacher to show them how to behave or the proper way to respond in varying situations. They learn on there own and when they do they put up fronts that appear as fear or aggression to us.
    What these dogs need to properly rehabilitate is someone with patience and a skilled hand. To be able to show proper discipline when they do wrong and praise when they do right. A pack leader corrects subordinates in its pack for unwanted behavior. The same holds true in your home or "your" pack.
    Your wife certainly needs to handle this dog. If she is too fearful of him then your dog has an upper advantage over her. Growling is a big "NO"!!!
    Your wife needs to feel comfortable about handling this dog when you aren't there. The problem isn't just your dog. With dogs like yours you yourselves need to learn how to be proper leaders.
    I find it amazing that your trainer threw you out of the class. It's obvious that you need the most help. It takes a different approach that some trainers just don't realize.
    I'd like to talk with you further if you wish.
    I certainly need to know more about this dogs history.

Wetland, I have had gus for almost 3 months now. The owners before had him for 3 months also and gave up on him as he growled at there children. Before that his owners trained him for hunting. He does know commands well and is a great retriever in the yard with dummies. Starting to work well with hand signals. I think that they trained him the hard way and he got alot of beatings as he really cowers if you raise your hand. Slowly he is warming up to the wife it's just a day by day affair She is not afraid of him and works with him daily but he still does growl at her daily, she even is the one that feeds him.

coastal ghost, thank you also for your input.

Sounds like he was punished but wasn't trained on what he was punished for. Unfortunately, it was in excess.
    Now, the growling, is him making the rules. Whether he likes the circumstance or not he has to learn to submit. If you want the couch and he is on it. He had better get off. There is a build up of obedience to get to this point.
    I think the best way to help you is if you and I can meet. You can see and learn what to do. I could go on for many paragraphs but nothing works better to explain things than to see it first hand.

I would suggest taking Wetland up on his offer, as the issues you're having don't really make sense, and likely need to be seen to be properly evaluated. Dogs properly trained for hunting would likely have no social issues, especially to the point of getting kicked out of obedience class. And if improperly trained or even abused, his aggresion doesn't seem directed at the evident culprit-I doubt the last owners children abused him, nor has your wife. What scares me most is the fact when her face gets close, it triggers his aggression-please be careful. His issues are either man made, genetic, or a combination-and a visit to Wetland's would identify which, then a plan made to address it. Genetic aggression is hard to overcome, and rare in labs, even abused ones.
    Good luck..

Default Bird Wing training

The pic above is gus GRRRRR the growling lab. He was beat up? I hear previously, to me adopting him, after he growled at his new famalies children and a previous expierence killing the neighbors rabbit and a previous guess that he was not a hunting dog.. As you see he is shying and afraid. I took him out and killed him this rabbit.

(He hunt's them hard (rabbits) without me.. when he runs off;
    Came back lambe on a rabbit chase $700.00!!!!!!!! )

he's all scared up, must've had a rabbit under the snow that kicked his ***** his pecker is all scared up.

but you see he's shying from the rabbit. If you strike him for a disipline reason, it doesn't faze him, he'll go, get his stuffed moose toy and screw around.

Got a nose though.. So my uncle sent some pheasant wings, I want gus to find them. (I know.....drag them to a hideing spot) I've trained dogs before. ANY Good tips? he's been pointing at sents, Can i get him to be a pointing lab & how?

Also, he is a English Lab, any one know the differance between English and American Labs. He is papered.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by martenpine View Post

Also, he is a English Lab, any one know the differance between English and American Labs. He is papered.

Do a search for Wildrose Kennels. They specialize in UK Labs. They were at one time the owners of Drake, the Ducks Unlimited Mascot.