Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone buy guns at Elmendorf AFB?

Default Anyone buy guns at Elmendorf AFB?

How much of a discount buying on base? Do they stock an inventory or special order?

they do stock an inventory, i don't know about the prices. Have gotten some good deals there before though.

I do believe you can spec. order through them.

Jon

Never saw a steal in there. Got better prices at Great Northern Guns. Without a tax adavantage there really isn't much advantage at this BX.

In six plus years I have never seen a "good deal". I have done well at Great Northern Guns.

Default Great deal at the Base Exchange

A few years ago (you will have the information to figure out how many years shortly) I managed to get an unbeatable deal at the Elmendorf Exchange.

Unbeatable because the gun was not available anywhere in Alaska at the time.

One dozen Ruger Redhawks in .44 Magnum, 5.5" barrel came to Alaska, six to Ft Richardson and six to Elmendorf.

I believe they were the first to come to the State.

They made it to the counter at Ft Rich, I think on Wednesday or Thursday. Elmendorf stocked new inventory only on Wednesdays and Saturdays if I remember correctly, and they were not there on Wednesday, so a friend and I got up early on Saturday and waited from about 6:45 to opening time. By then there was a crowd of guys with the same idea we had. I cannot say they were well behaved. Before I discovered that they thought we were in a race rather than an orderly procession. They almost ran over a hapless salesclerk.

I wound up with the fifth and last gun to be sold over the counter that day.

Your math is not incorrect. The twelfth gun was not in inventory that day, or ever as far as I can tell. I figured it was sold to a spouse of an employee, especially since there was one serial number missing from the sequentially numbered guns that sold that day. The last 3 digits were 429.

Anyway, who better to buy firearms from than a military store?

Years ago they had some good deals back when Fort Richardson and Elmendorf had two seperate exchanges.
    I have not seen any real show stoppers since they merged a few years back. Plus the guys working the counter seem to know nothing about much of anything.... The folks at GNG have cut me better deals and they like to talk about guns. The guys at the PX/BX act as if you are bothering them.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Float Pilot,
    I agree with your comments 100%. Over the last 20 years or so I have found maybe two great deals where something was marked down and I managed to combine a Christmas coupon to it.
    At different times over the last three years I "special ordered" three LH Ruger stainless rifles. None ever came in, or if they did no one ever notified me.
    When I need anything I just give Boondocks a call and they order it with no muss or fuss and unless it is something really strange they usually have it in a couple of weeks and they call me to pick it up.
    Tennessee

One thing the BX will do is price match other stores in town but they have to be the exact same gun. I've also found that their ammo is cheaper than anywhere else in town. For example, I paid $44 for a box of 375 H&H 300 grain Federal Premium NP's, everyone else wanted $65 or more. That was last year so things might have changed. I also like Boondocks, they can get pretty much anything you want and are very reasonably priced.

3 or 4 years ago I bought a Howa 1500 300 WSM from the BX on Elmendorf because they had it marked down way too low for me too pass up ($325). In 4 years of being stationed there and being in there once or twice a week that was the only "steal" I ever came across.

And I agree about the counter-guys, act as if they are too busy to help you out or answer questions.

Tim
    If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.

At the Great Alaskan Sportsmans Show I've seen Boondocks have some good deals on a few select guns and pistols.

Default not too bad

I recently bought an M1A with a walnut stock and the few places around town I went to said the cheapest they could get me was 1550ish. So over all sometimes they're some good deals.

Just curious do they still sell reloading components at the BX at Elmendorf? I know back in the middle 70's they used to have some powder and primers and bullets, but not a real large selection.
    Doe's Elmendorf have a rod and gun club where you can order guns and reloading supplies> Just a couple questions.

Gun Runner

Yes on the reloading stuff, not sure about the rod and gun club.

The main deals USED to be their reloading supplies. They quit carrying most everything, so I buy my stuff at the Boondocks in Eagle River and the Sportsmans Warehouse.

I buy guns there on occasion, but you need to be careful if you place a special order. I ordered a T.C. Encore RIFLE 3 times, and 3 times I got called that my PISTOL frame was ready for pick up. Each time I told them I ordered a rifle, had rifle spelled out on my order form and they were quite miffed at ME because they mis-ordered. Didn't want to send it back the 3rd time and I wasn't about to buy something I didn't want. Went to Sportsmans Warehouse, and save nearly $75.00 over the P.X. price, anyway.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default I agree

Great northern guns has some good deals, so does boondocks(sometimes) I prefer those shops mainly due to the fact that they are always extremely helpful. I haven't seen any deals o base that I couldn't find elsewhere in local shops.

I have bought 4 guns from the BX, and 2 of the guns I bought had a problem. I bought a baby eagle with a broken ejector, and a marlin 45-70 with the wrong sights on it. They sent the baby eagle back and got it fixed, and I went to WWG to get new sights. I don't think it is thier fault, but I am kinda supersticious about buying guns from there now. I have noticed Sportsmans usually has better prices. I have a friend that tried the price match thing, and they wanted an add or some kind of proof that the other store had a lower price, before they would match it. Which makes sense. Usually they are about the same price as you would pay anywhere else.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Default no deals

Sportsman's warehouse and Wal-mart have much better prices on firearms and ammo than the BX/PX, and the BX doesn't price match on firearms but will on ammo. I wouldn't waste time at the BX/PX.
    Quote Originally Posted by FORTUNATESON View Post
    How much of a discount buying on base? Do they stock an inventory or special order?

Quote Originally Posted by OKElkHunter View Post
    Sportsman's warehouse and Wal-mart have much better prices on firearms and ammo than the BX/PX, and the BX doesn't price match on firearms but will on ammo. I wouldn't waste time at the BX/PX.
    Sorry, I talked to them last week and they told me that they DO price match firearms but they must be the exact same firearm. I don't know about the price match on the ammo but the ammo I have bought there was considerably cheaper than downtown. A box of Federal Premium Vital Shok 375 H&H in 300 grain Nosler Partition was running over $75 at Wal-Mart, I bought mine for $44 at the BX. I would at least check there first before driving all over town trying to save $2 on a box of bullets.

Guess it depends on who is working the counter for a price match, and for ammo I guess it depends on what you are buying because the BX has Hornady 375Ruger for $65 and Sportsmans has it for $46, thats almost a $20 difference for the exact same ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Sorry, I talked to them last week and they told me that they DO price match firearms but they must be the exact same firearm. I don't know about the price match on the ammo but the ammo I have bought there was considerably cheaper than downtown. A box of Federal Premium Vital Shok 375 H&H in 300 grain Nosler Partition was running over $75 at Wal-Mart, I bought mine for $44 at the BX. I would at least check there first before driving all over town trying to save $2 on a box of bullets.

Never did understand why anyone would find a best price on something and then drive to the BX to see if they would sell it for the same price. Just a waste of gas, frustration, and time.
    Tennessee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast