Thread: New Hunter

Default New Hunter

My name is Nick and I live on the Kenai. I am wanting to learn more about moose hunting on the Kenai Peninsula. I have only been on one big game hunt and that was up on the Ivashak River for Bou. What I am looking for are suggestion on location where I can hike or boat in?

Also, resources for learning how to properly clean and harvest the meat. Suggestions such as classes or books.

Plus, if you happen to want a extra hunter partner along with a hunt in the future. I can haul meat and work hard.

Default Great offer

I'm not planning any hunts soon and am near Fairbanks or I would surely be happy to have you along on a hunt, As hunts aways seem much more interesting with a partner along. Hope you find a great partner and learn a great deal about the wonders of the outdoors, hunting especially.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Eagle River/ Juneau

ADF&G offers a video for rent about butchering moose, check it out.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Soldotna, ALASKA since '78

Default Hunting the Kenai

Nick, I would suggest 2 general areas for hunting the Kenai. The south peninsula from Tustumena lake down through the Caribou Hills is one. You can boat in via the lake and get to some more remote areas to avoid the crowds or you can go into the Caribou Hills via wheelers on the trails or even via foot from the road system along the western side. I've taken moose via boat from the lake side, but I avoid the road access to the Hills due to the crowds.

The other area is between Sterling and Cooper Landing. You've got the Swanson River area north of Sterling. I've taken moose out of there years ago, but it is easy access road system, so there are crowds. You also have the Mystery Creek area near Cooper Landing that gets a lot of hunters. There are restricted areas in between, like the Skilak Loop area, so check the regs and the maps. Those are mostly hike in hunting areas.

One thing to remember about the Kenai is that there is a huge amount of hunting pressure. Your chances of success are slim when you compare the harvest rate vs. the number of hunters. The good thing is that there are a lot of lazy hunters (e.g. road hunters) who won't get off the beaten path very far. If you don't mind packing hundreds of pounds of meat over miles of rough, wet terrain, you can increase your chances quite a bit.

I would suggest heading over to the Fish & Game office on K-Beach road. If you're not familiar with it, it's in the professional building 1/4 mile to the Soldotna side of the Poppy Lane intersection. On your right coming from Soldotna; left coming from Kenai. They will have all the info about hunting and harvesting that you can imagine. They've got videos and knowledgeable folks to point you in the right direction.

I would definitely suggest tagging along with a partner who has harvested moose before so you can learn the ropes first hand. If August rolls around and you still haven't hooked up with anybody, drop me a PM and we'll talk. I'll probably be boating the Tustumena in September at my "secret spot". Depending on the size of our party, there is a possibility of room for 1 more, but I can't make any promises this far out.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Welcome

Get some info from Fish & Game on moose populations. Read about what moose eat and when they are the most active. Read about the different stages of the rut and learn to call moose. You have to learn what a legal moose is, so study antlers and brow tines. We have taken a bunch of moose off the Kenai, none were very big. Some friends have taken some big ones though. Buy the most expensive pair of binoculars you can afford and be patient. Spend more for them then your rifle scope. I know a lot of guys that get a jump on the other hunters by hunting with bows starting Aug. 10th. Lots of small "urban bulls" on the Kenai. Give that some thought. I have lived on the Kenai for a long time but it is not my favorite place to hunt moose due to all the restrictions on ATV use and the amount of hunters. The moose hunting further north in late Sept. is more interesting to me. There are books and films on this forum that will give you some ideas. This may sound stupid but hunting an area that has little hunting pressure, and a good moose population in late Sept. increases your odds of success. Never give up, they can appear at any time of the day.

Nick, I started over a decade ago new like you, never hunted in my life. Grabbed all the books i could find. Buy them used, save some $. Read all AKDF&G has, watch their videos on antler sizing and meat care and chat with the area biologists. Do all that, then talk to a good butcher in your area about meat care and butchering. (a guy who has his own shop) ...For meat care, check out Indian Valley Meats web site for meat care instructions, never, ever use mesh bags, you can wash and re-use the heavy cotton ones, we have for years. The bible is "cool, clean and dry" for meat care, do that and you'll never have a bad steak, ever. there are also good meat care articles in this directory which I've found to be right on..

Lastly, do check out, "Ecology and Management of the North American Moose", it's a beast, but worth the investment and time. Amazon has it...though Title Wave Books in Anchorage usually has a copy or two, they might mail it to you...

Best of luck.