Thread: Sitka in June for Kings

Default Sitka in June for Kings

Hi,
    Trying to go to Sitka for some kings in June, how is the last week in june usually suited for kings? Went to Kenai last year on same weekend and was not too psyched only bringing home 1 kings out of our group. Also if anyone has a good reccomendation for guide/charter would really appreciate it. Looking for 3 day fishing for 4 guys.

Eric

The last week of june is great, never go the first week of july as that is the commercial opener. I guided there for 8 years.

It varies from year to year, but late June is definately stacking the odds in your favour! Last year, early June was good out on the coast, and Father's Day weekend was the best once you get a bit inland.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

well I disagree about the first week of july but I wouldnt get to far into july....the first few days of July can still be good.

But I'd agree the last week of june is usually pretty dang good! I also have skippered out of sitka, though I'm not sure where I'll be this summer, ugg!

Quote Originally Posted by martenpine
    ...never go the first week of july as that is the commercial opener
    I guess I'm just a naive rookie at this saltwater sportfishing thing, but in my 33+ years of experience, I've never had a bad time fishing during a commercial opening... I've had near-misses with drifting gillnets and longline gear, but what's the "bad experience" that so many people seem to have with fishing on a power troller's drag or within a few miles of a bunch of gill netters?

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

There is lots of quality boats in Sitka. The problem is by this time in the game most of the "good" guides are booked. If you google Sitka Kings a lot of different lodges and non -lodge operations will come up.

I disagree completely on July. In my opinion it can be one of the best months to fish and tends to have some very large Kings caught during that month. The weather is generally the best of the summer as well.

The King opener slows things down for a few days but it generally bounces back pretty quick.

My reconmendation is to make a few phone calls. Find somebody that you can trust and has a good first impression and that you will get along with. Also decide wether you want to stay in a lodge or hotel or B&B. There is a lot of different options

I didn't mean don't go in July at all, heck the Coho also show up in July, but if your going to pay for a guide, lodging and travel to sitka I suggest not the first week. Like I said I guided there for a while usually over 100 days in the summer. I caught thousands of kings in Sitka, yes I could catch them during the opener and during the troll season and that came from years of Fishing there. I lived & fished Sitka for 15 years. But generally as a guide that usually was 1 of the most stressful times to consistently catch Limits of Kings day after day as was during the Salmon Derby if weather held me to inside waters.

CanCanCase, I fished almost every day in the summer for years, I can't say I have had extreme amounts of bad experiences fishing within the fleet. I know alot of commercial trollers there but the amount of effort during that 1st week is hard on a guide who is expected to catch a limit of kings then go halibut and bottam fishing every day. In sitka there also is a lot of charter bashing. A large persent of the commercial fleet does not like the charter fleet there. A popular bumper sticker is "charter fishing an organized crime" I have had troll boats run their stabies right next to my boat while on the hook, and have listened to many a troller yell #$#$$#$ charter nazi out on the drag.

Quote Originally Posted by martenpine View Post
    I didn't mean don't go in July at all, heck the Coho also show up in July, but if your going to pay for a guide, lodging and travel to sitka I suggest not the first week. Like I said I guided there for a while usually over 100 days in the summer. I caught thousands of kings in Sitka, yes I could catch them during the opener and during the troll season and that came from years of Fishing there. I lived & fished Sitka for 15 years. But generally as a guide that usually was 1 of the most stressful times to consistently catch Limits of Kings day after day as was during the Salmon Derby if weather held me to inside waters.

CanCanCase, I fished almost every day in the summer for years, I can't say I have had extreme amounts of bad experiences fishing within the fleet. I know alot of commercial trollers there but the amount of effort during that 1st week is hard on a guide who is expected to catch a limit of kings then go halibut and bottam fishing every day. In sitka there also is a lot of charter bashing. A large persent of the commercial fleet does not like the charter fleet there. A popular bumper sticker is "charter fishing an organized crime" I have had troll boats run their stabies right next to my boat while on the hook, and have listened to many a troller yell #$#$$#$ charter nazi out on the drag.
    We are planning a trip early August. Can we expect mostly coho, or are there still some Kings out there?? What about halibut? Thanks

I caught limits of kings through the entire season, August can be really good for kings just depends on your guide if he's willing to fish kings or just goes for a limit of coho. Halibut fishing should be really good that time of year. Goodluck

Default Thanks guys

Ended up booking earlier in June for work reasons, Going with Captain Chuck McNamee and Captain Tom Ohaus out of Angling Unlimited. Can't wait to get up there. Might have to go do some blackmouth catching in Puget Sound on sunday!!!!

you should do ok, you'll be mooching if your with ohaus fleet.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Lived in Sitka for 12 years and still have family there. I preferred the end of May and the first couple of weeks of June.

Put my name in the books there during the 1979 Sitka Salmon Derby.

Default Go early for Sitka Kings

If you take a look through the records for the Sitka Salmon derby it will become clear that the biggest kings of the year arrive in late May. Look at the fish mounts in the airport. All of the big kings were boated during the last few days of May. The first week of June for me has always had lots of kings available. Weather aside. The first week of june would be my preference. My dad has lived there during the summer for the last 25 years or so. I've been lucky enough to fish there a lot. One thing I can't tell you is anything about the Charter boats there. I've never been out on a charter in Sitka.

big big kings go late! there ar enumbers of kings early. Later in the year there are toads! It seems most of the big fish I've seen are mid summer to later on in the season. Like big halibut fishing, you may not catch a ton, but when you do finally find a few, they maybe huge!