Thread: Knoxx Recoil reducing Rifle Stock

Default Knoxx Recoil reducing Rifle Stock

I have been looking at these stocks. I have a dislike for recoil.
    I won a Howa 1500 in a raffle, so I want to upgrade the cheap feeling factory stock. The Knoxx stock for shotguns is getting great reviews. However, my concern with the rifle design is that it may flex back and hit me in the eye with the scope. They have a video on their website that is impressive. Anyone have any knowledge to share???
    http://www.knoxx.com/kSTORE/viewProd.php?id=10
    http://www.knoxx.com/action_videos/Axiom.php
    http://www.knoxx.com/action_videos/Axiom.php

Thanks for looking.

Steve

Default Knoxx

I've shot a couple shotguns with them and one rifle. I thought they worked great. The best way I can describe how they work is like a reverse spring. It springs in during the peak of the recoil cycle and then out as the recoils lessens. The rifle was a 378 Weatherby without a muzzle brake and with the Knoxx it was manageable, but I still wouldn't want to shoot a full box of ammo through it from the bench. I shot it offhand a couple time first to get the feel and then from the bench. I never felt like the scope was getting too close during recoil even with the considerable muzzle lift of the 378. I does seem like the gun moves around during the recoil cycle quite a bit though. I've shot shotguns with the mercury recoil reducing cylinders and I felt the Knoxx spring system reduced the recoil more than the mercury setups. The biggest drawback with the Knoxx system is it's heavy, but that isn't always a bad thing on big guns.

Woody

Default My experience...

Cannot speak to the rifle as I've never tried one. I did get to shoot a Rem 870 12g with both 00 Buck and slugs that was fitted with a Knoxx stock. It was the pistol grip adjustable stock (AR style). I didn't like it at all in that application. I personally couldn't tell if the recoil was reduced over a fixed stock and I was shooting both standard and Knoxx stocked-guns one right after the other. Some small stature shooters trying it out at the same time said it fell "a little less".

One big disadvantage I found right away was that the stock made it very difficult to get to the safety button on the 870. A right-hander could get the safety off ok, but had to take a hand off the gun to put it back on. A leftie had to break grip to get the safety off, which is a huge deal if you're using the gun for defensive purposes.

My final big complaint was the fit of the collapsible stock components. The butt section moved A LOT relative to the forward portion. Holding the gun to your shoulder, the "wiggle" in the stock made accurate shooting impossible. My final opinion of that stock in that application was that it was a piece of junk and I'd never buy one.

That said, I've heard from a couple people who have used the Knoxx standard stock version (non collapsible & non pistol grip) and they report that it is a good stock that does reduce felt recoil significantly. I have yet to try one, but would like to see for myself someday.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Knoxx System

I thought about this a bit more last night and I wanted to clarify a couple things. The system I'm familiar with is the complete stock system. The spring system does compress, which would cause problems with the scope if it was getting close prior to installing the Knoxx system. Knoxx used to advise a longer length of pull if scope eye is an issue. I don't like a longer length of pull, in fact I almost always reduce the standard LOP on my rifles. On the big guns I go with scopes with the most eye relief and mount them as far forward as practical. This works for me. With that said, I would go for a Knoxx system before I installed a muzzel brake.

Woody

Bought the stock and shot it today. WOW what a difference it made in recoil. EZ to adjust. Here are a couple shots of it.

Steve

Looks like the Cushman range is starting to get busy...I'll wait until the snow is gone and I can go out there with shorts and T-shirt....hehehe

whats the wt. on that rifle with the knoxx???

They were out in Tee shirts yesterday. That Howa weights 9.5 as is.

Steve

Default weight factor

I take it, your not going to use that set up as your sheep rifle at 9.5 lbs.?

I won the Howa in a raffle. I'm just playing with it and thought that it would make a good boat or wheeler gun or something to loan friends. That Remington Alaskan TI I bought the wife would be my pick for a sheep gun or my ole trusty Benelli R-1 in 300 Win Mag. Taken many animals with it even my Ram. Shot him at 400 yrds.