Thread: Slight list to one side

Question Slight list to one side

Last summer went through the whole vessel with a moisture meter, it registered "wet" on a section of floor on the back deck. Cut a four inch hole for inspection, thinking a good place for a hatch and storage while were at it, but found solid foam and not a drop of moisture, thats a good thing! The meter registered "wet" elsewhere in the back corner of the cabin, a place that doesn't make sense. I am a little more than curious, having ran out of good weather to investigate further, I am waiting until spring to look again. The thing that has me perplexed is that I noticed a slight list to starboard and the kicker is on port and I emptied the sink water and moved things around inside. Flat calm water, at anchor, in the dinghy looking at the stern, its not totally level -we are talking a slight half-inch to an inch at the most, but noticeable to the paranoid. I am hoping moisture meters are not accurate, and there is another reason for the list. This is a SeaSport. Any thoughts?

When I had my boat surveyed a couple of years ago (had some gel coat cracks I was concerned about), it was too damp outside for the surveyor to use his moisture instrument. Maybe it's too damp outside and you're getting bad readings.

Wink

I wish that was the case, but it was bone dry at the time. I plan to drill a test hole I can epoxy over. (Skydiver, you have been on the boat, you know who this is right?)

Why dont you give Scott a call at SeaSport?
    Tennessee

I'm not sure what type of foam your Seasport has, but some of that stuff can act as a giant sponge if its outside "crust" is compromised. Structural foams are pretty good in that regard, but floatation foams can be a detriment there.

Unhappy

I called Scott at SeaSport awhile back hoping to hear something different that I didn't already know or have heard, but no such luck. The information I have to this point is that the water registering on the meter is enough in its location, up high, to cause the list. I had a hard time believing that could do it until I was lifting some pressure treated lumber for a porch; Wood with water in it is heavy! I know I have to open my tools, then the hull, then my wallet, any last ideas before surgery?

Big Water and others, it's registering "wet" in the cabin wall in the back corner. No foam is located there, just the wood that they may have used, I am assuming. What gets me is that it would make sense if the window frame leaked and it tricked down from there, but it doesn't register there. The other mystery is its registering against an area that isn't thick, its the wall of the cabin on a corner. There is a small gel coat crack at the base near the tread way on the gunwhal way below, but seems far away. I had the ceiling panel off once, the plywood is encased in resin and a two inch core on top of that. (Put a hole in for radar once.)

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    Big Water and others, it's registering "wet" in the cabin wall in the back corner. No foam is located there, just the wood that they may have used, I am assuming. What gets me is that it would make sense if the window frame leaked and it tricked down from there, but it doesn't register there. The other mystery is its registering against an area that isn't thick, its the wall of the cabin on a corner. There is a small gel coat crack at the base near the tread way on the gunwhal way below, but seems far away. I had the ceiling panel off once, the plywood is encased in resin and a two inch core on top of that. (Put a hole in for radar once.)
    Yep, I know who you are. I'll tell you what, why don't you just give me that SeaSport of yours and you'll feel much better

Funny thing about water intrusion. I've heard of cases where water is present one place on the boat but entered the boat way over somewhere else. It can travel a distance in the boat before it finally exits. Wish I had an answer for you. Have you thought of having a surveyor look at it? He'll have a moisture meter, thump around, etc.