Thread: Thinking about a sheep hunt - has anybody gone with Wrangell Outfitters ?

Default Thinking about a sheep hunt - has anybody gone with Wrangell Outfitters ?

HELLO

I was thinking about booking a sheep hunt with Dick Peterson who runs Wrangell Outfitters. Has anybody gone hunting with Mr. Petersen, or know anybody that has ? Even if you have hunted around him and watched how he runs his operation, that would be helpful.
    I am not a rich man and this mite be my only sheep hunt. So I am taking my time picking an outffitter. Thanks I am looking forward to reading your posts.

Default he is in nice country

I don't know him personally, just through a friend. He took over Ray McNutt's area. Very beautiful country that used to hold a good # of sheep. Not sure how it is now. Might ask him the success rate. Look at shooting a 34" ram. That is pretty much the norm out there.

I've heard great things about him. I last hunted the area with Ray McNutt in '96. Killed a 41" ram, but mostly saw 34"-36" rams. My buddy shot a 38". Great area... like the previous poster stated... really beautiful.

Default Good Sheep

Pioneer Outfitters owned by Terry Overly. Tell him you want to hunt the Medicine Man Drainage, I shot a 39" and passed up several 34-37". You need to be in shape and no vertigo, there are some cliffs. I hunted two days and counted at least 10 shooters. We had one guy at main camp who had a bad knees and a triple by-pass, he killed a 36" ram and a Griz in 4 days. I have hunted with many guides around the world, this guy is tops!