Thread: New Gun?

Default New Gun?

I will be going on a float trip for Moose/Bear with my brother from Alaska. He will be carrying a 338 win mag. I need a new gun From what has been posted on this site a 338 looks quite adequate or should I consider a 375 for back up, stopper etc? I am working on an africa plains hunt in the next 5yrs. I would buy 2 guns if I thought there would a place to stay when i came home from the gun store.

If I was only going to buy one gun and your brother already had a .338 I would buy another .338. This is good enough for both trips. I have friends who have shot all their plains game with a .300 win mag. Good luck.

Yes, 338 will due and so will a 375 H&H. Either one would be a good one gun for big game. Use a different load in the 375 H&H for plains game and a heavier load for the bear. Same with the 338.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Many areas of Africa require a 375HH as the minimum caliber. You need to know what your African hunt will require by regulation. If there is no requirement, the 338 Winchester Magnum will do anything that you need to do with it. You can't go wrong with either, as long as you master the rifle.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Thumbs up

The ability to borrow your brothers ammo and vice versa makes a lot of sense and the 338 will work for both trips. I hear people have actually killed bear with such a caliber. I've taken a 338 on a couple of plains game hunts and it has served me well on everything from spring buck to eland. There is no caliber restriction in any of huntable Africa for plains game, only for dangerous game, lion, buffalo, etc.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Talking

Thanks for your comments and I have bought a Ruger Hawkeye synthetic and stainless in a 338. I would appreicate your comments on scope selection for this moose float. 1.5 - 5 or 2 - 7 Leupold

I'd put a Leupold Vari-X III 2.5x8x36 with Boone and Crockett reticle on it.

Default consider

The Zeiss Conquest 1.8-5.5x38 or the Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8x32 as a alternate to leupolds.

Leupold 3-9x40. Always thought that was the perfect scope for the 338 win. mag.

Default Leupold VX III 2.5-8x

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    I'd put a Leupold Vari-X III 2.5x8x36 with Boone and Crockett reticle on it.
    X2 - That is what I have on my 338 WM, except I like the Leupold Post and Duplex reticle. The perfect match for the 338 in my opinion.

Woody

Thanks again, new gun is almost better than a new truck I ordered the 2.5 - 8 lupy. I think that will give me a great scope for both elk and moose. I might need to get a new 375HH for that Zeiss mentioned below. Now there's a thought

One more question- 338 loads for Moose float hunt? What do you all like? I will need to shoot factory loads for awhile. From what I have read I'm leaning toward 225 Swift A Frame load by Rem. This will be my camp gun as well.

Thumbs up Swift A-Frame Bullets

Quote Originally Posted by ldh1187 View Post
    One more question- 338 loads for Moose float hunt? What do you all like? I will need to shoot factory loads for awhile. From what I have read I'm leaning toward 225 Swift A Frame load by Rem. This will be my camp gun as well.
    It's been quite a while since I've shot factory ammo. When I used to buy factory loads to acquire brass for reloading I usually went with Federal. My .338 WM shot Federal Premium loaded with Nosler Partitions exceptional well. I tried the Federal's with the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullets, which I think is an excellent bullet, but they didn't group well in my rifle. I would try the Remington's loaded with the Swift A-Frames too. I think the Swift A-Frame is an exceptionally well constructed bullet. I handload the Swift's now in Federal brass. I load 225 grains bullets for elk and 250's for moose.

http://www.federalcartridge.com/ball...mo_Search.aspx

Woody

federal has three 225 grain bullet loads and the 210 and 250 partitions. Remington has 3 225's and a 250 that would be good.

There are so many good choices for the 338 factory ammo.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".