Thread: Feedback needed about Volvo Pentas

Default Feedback needed about Volvo Pentas

I am considering the purchase of a SeaSport. There are a few used ones out there to choose from. Some come with the Volvo diesel, others with the 5.7 V8, and others with twin 4 cyl. Pentas. I know the new SeaSports come with the outboard option that I would go for if I could afford it. Right now, however, I'm opting for something used.

Any thoughts about reliability, suitability, and general reputation of the three different Volvo Penta engines?
    Thanks for your response!

Owned mine for three years now. The only thing I had to repair was a bellows that leaked water into the gimball bearing.
    No fault of VP or SeaSport. It was installed incorrectly when new by Alaska Mining and Diving.
    Mine has the 8.1 gas so I am unable to comment about the other engines.
    Tennessee

If its powered with the 41 series diesel(no longer made) i'd be real careful and have the engine well checked out by a good mechanic(who that is i don't know). A lot of those engines have had the poop run out of them by owners who follow the advise of the little metal plate volvo gives you with the engine that states to run the engine at 10% under WOT, well do that and maybe you'll get 3000 hours out of the engine. If your not getting 36-3800RPM at WOT the engine is either under or over propped. Another big problem with those engines has been with the intermediate housing on the drive being eaten out by the high sulpur fuel we had, its a hole in the exhaust passage in the outdrive. Check the turbo for wear or seizing, pull the aftercooler apart and see if the core is eaten up with electrolosis(sp), raw water pumps tend to wear out quickly(about a $450 fix), vovlo doesn't supply a grease jerk on the bell housing to grease the intermediate bearing so lots of them will be worn and you may have to pull the engine to fix/replace the bearing.
    I don't know much about the gas engines but i commercial fish in Cordova & PWS and i'd bet there are more volvo packages there than anywhere else in Alaska and with all that use you see the whole scale of users & abusers of the engines. If its gonna show up as a problem it will show up there quicker and more than anywhere else (like almost all of the 42's blowing up). I used to walk the docks after fishing peroids and hear of all the stuff that happened to the engines & drives. One of my pet peeves about volvo is that they put a product on the market and then let the public to the research & testing by buying the product and when it breaks they don't stand behind the warranty but do have the "new & improved" parts to sell you. Yeah i have a 41P diesel in my bowpicker but i've learened how to make it last & have done many things to it to make it run easier.
    Good Luck with your hunt for a new rig
    Steve

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default We have a VP 5.7 gas with DPS outdrive

The 5.7 gas is a GM marine power block (350 chevy) and have had only a couple of glitches in the last three years and 100+ hours. With SS props the engine feels happy at about 3400 rpm. VP has put a hose connection up near the exahust manifold at first I used this to fresh water flush the engine but soon discovered that if you hook it up with out the engine running you will fill a cylinder with water. My mechanic said it was a dock side feature only to be used with the engine running and it only flushes 1/2 of the system, strange? Now I just flush from down on the out drive with a muff. We also had to fix the heat exchanger as it sprung a leak. And, oh yea, the chip on the engine failed once and we had to come back on the kicker. Over all, I am pleased, I wanted diesel but the deal on the boat was too good to pass up so I settled for gas, so far no regrets.

I bought a used 30' SeaSport Voyager with twin KAD44's last spring and brought it up to Juneau through the Inside Passage. Only problem I've had with the engines so far is with the electric shifters--I've had the port engine stick in forward on me a couple of times. Other than that, they've been good--at least so far.

Potbuilder,

WOT on my KAD44's is around 3800 rpm. I've been running them at around 3200 rpm. What would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by bhollis View Post
    Potbuilder,

WOT on my KAD44's is around 3800 rpm. I've been running them at around 3200 rpm. What would you recommend?
    Running them at 32 sounds good to me & i'd bet you'll get a lot more time out of them that way. You must be flying around at a good clip at that rpm?
    What type of electric controls to do have ? volvo or are they after market? I've heard of some of the after market, think it was Mathers(sp) brand ones, going into reverse when the boat was up and crusing not very good for the transmissions!!! Some of the guys in cordova that had them used to put cut off bouy ball covers over them when they were not fishing to keep the water off them.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I get about 27-28 kts at 3200 rpm with full fuel, water, gear and passengers. This year I'm thinking about throttling back to 3000 rpm (should still give me about a 25 kt cruise) and see if I get better gas (diesel) mileage. At 3200 rpm, I get around 1.4 mpg.

About the electric shifters, they're the VP shifters. Like them real well for the most part, and at this point, I've gotten pretty good at unsticking the port actuator.

Default Volvo

I tested a new Off Shore Sea Sport with twin D-4's in it and it preformed real good. At the time they said that they would not build it with the twin D-6 that I wanted. Cost was $256000. I purchased a new Cold Water 34 ft with twin D-6. Cruise is 30Kt at 3000 rpm. Fuel 1.4 mpg. So far the engines have been great. I am running G-5 props and plan on going up to G-6 props. The G-6 props will increase my top end from 36.5Kt to 39.5Kts so I can lower my cruise RPMs to 2800 RPMs which should decrease my usage fuel. est fuel mileage 1.7 mpg.

Thumbs up Volvo 5.7 EFI

I have had zero problems with my VP 5.7L EFI since I bought my Seasport back in 2001. I change plugs once per season along with routine maintenance and that's it. I'm religous about flushing the engine after every trip. The outdrive has been trouble free as well. I may be living on borrowed time, but that's the facts so far. The EFI is a huge improvement over the carb models IMO. Better fuel mileage and no hesitation on starting. I'm beginning to sound like a VP salesman so I'll leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by bhollis View Post
    I bought a used 30' SeaSport Voyager with twin KAD44's last spring and brought it up to Juneau through the Inside Passage. Only problem I've had with the engines so far is with the electric shifters--I've had the port engine stick in forward on couple of times. Other than that, they've been good--at least so far.
    We had the same problem with our 30' OffShore with twin D-4's. The vents in the back of the cockpit would let saltwater in them and when we would use the raw water wash down to clean up blood the vents would allow saltwater to get on the shifters. Sea Sport designed a catch and problem was solved. We love our D-4's and have had no other issues with them at all. Burns about 13-14 gallons an hour between both motors @24-26 knts.
    Boatless