Thread: Copper river delta information

Default Copper river delta information

I dont know if this is the correct forum or not. A buddy of mine just got a new 27' deep water boat and now has the idea of fishing the copper river delta. Is this somthing worth doing? After looking at charts, this seems a dodgy venture at best. Has anyone been there? Is the fishing worth anything? It seems to me that its a dangerous place to be in even a 27' boat. Id think the weather coming right in from the gulf could hand a guy alot of trouble. Any thoughts??

Stay away from the flats! It can be a real nightmare, lots of shallow water, no channel markers to speak of & big breakers in the inlets. I've commercialy fished there since '91 and still never feel comfortable fishing there. Fishing around Cordova and maybe out in Strawberry channel might be ok but don't venture over on the flats, there are a lot of nicer places to get the sh*t scared out of you.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Yeah, that's not a place to go sportfishing for the weekend. I grew up there and it still scares the p*ss out of me. Like potbuilder said, there are no channel markers, the bars are unforgiving and without good local knowledge, you could get in trouble pretty quick. Shoot, even local knowledge doesn't help sometimes, we lose someone on the flats almost every year.