Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Popcorn for bears?

Default Popcorn for bears?

Who of you, uses popcorn for bait? How do you pop large quanties of it for bait use? To me, it would be the ultimate bait: light to carry, you can make it sweet, large quanties, it mixes well with other sweet ingredients. What your thoughts?

I used some last season, it seems to work. Im not altogether convinced that it will replace dog food.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Make sure you use butter and salt, I've never seen a bear that doesn't like buttered popcorn !!! Most people I know that use popcorn use it as a supplement to other things in their bait...i.e. dog food, syrup, grease, donuts.

A friend of mine in Valdez swore by it. He had to hike over mile back to his station so it was the only thing he could viably use. He would set a big plastic garbage can next his hot air popper and just kept putting in corn. As it popped he would put corn syrup on it along with some other flavoring. He would take in a bag at a time.

The only problem I had while using it was that I could smell it up in the tree. Man, it sure made me hungry!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Hotair

I tried the hot-air and burned the sucker out. Try pouring the popped corn into a 5 gallon pail and sprinkling a little raspberry jello on it while warm. NOT sugar free. Fatten them bears. Bears loved it. But the time to produce it was consuming.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Popcorn

Years ago I was on a hunt in Canada & all they used was popcorn in drums. The set up consisted of 55 gal drum with about a 1 in hole in the bottom. They would chain the drum down & I spents many hrs watching those bears shake that drum trying to get that corn out. It seemed to work very well in that area. Light to pack as well.

Default Popcorn in rain

SOnds like a great idea, but how does it last in the weather? Seems like the rain and dew would make it all but disolve?

Mix anise oil and molasses as a topping. The problem though is similar to making jerky, hard to have any left over after you make it.

Default quanties?

How do you pop a large quantity? I can't picture myself in the kitchen with a 5qt pot trying to pop popcorn.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

It sounds corny...pun intended, but you may have luck calling around to various movie theatres to see if they sell popcorn in bulk. If they inquire as to the use and they seem hesitant, tell them its for your kids birthday party!

Default popcorn

Popcorn , rotted fishguts and liquid anise , can't lose .

Here is my recipe, works well.

55 drum, pour 40lb bag of O'l roy, 1 gallon of MRS BUTTERWORTH SYRUP,then a bag, syrup, bag, syrup. Then a mixture of anis oil and vanilla extract in a spray bottle and hose the tree down with it. Take large marshmellows and stick them to the branches.

When I go into the stand I spread out 2 bags of marshmellows around the ground so when they come in they take the time to suck every one up, you get a good look at the bear from all sides this way too. Popcorn works in the same way to, they can't resist!

You can get the syrup in 1 gallon jugs from costco on sale for cheap!

Default carmel corn

Back in the day when it was legal in Wa, we used carmel corn.

I had a customer who we sold butter to give me huge sacks of reject product.
    All I can say was it was the secrete weapon ! Bears would wipe out a huge pile of it, and leave a big hole for us to look at when we put out the new stuff.

I used carmel corn back in the 70's when I used to bait.
    I never found anything better. Combined with a honey burn and sometimes I had bears in on a new bait station within an hour.
    Tennessee

I use to bait with a guy off the Tek that used only popcorn, Ihe shot some real nice bears using that stuff. I have to admit, it is light and easy to restock the bait station with popcorn. Personally I use to use the cheapest dogfood I could find, pour a gallon or 2 of syrup over it and mix it real good. We used old fisheads, carcass's, and moose parts we would store in a 30 gallon drum over the winter, by the time spring rolled around that stuff was nasty. We would put some in burlap sacks and drag it around the bait site, probably 500 yards or so then hang it in a tree while spraying an anise/water mixture from a spray bottle. That system worked pretty good for us over the years.

When I went on a bear hunt in Manitoba, the bait used there was used Kentucky Fried Chicken grease and oats. Apparently the KFC stores there would sell the old grease cheap to the guides. It saved them having to get rid of it. The guide would haul the bait in 55 gal barrels to the blind in the winter for a spring hunt. The bait worked well too, the week I was there we took 2 Pope and Young bears out of the 6 if us.

Default Popcorn

Use popcorn as an attractant only not as a bait(food) source. I take 2 microwave bags full, put them in a 1gal tin can, put a kerosene lite block underneath (lit of course) and let the popcorn burn. Brings them in from miles!! As a food source I use the oats and restaurant grease. And like the other fellow mentioned K.F.C. grease seems to work the best.
    Give-em heck!!

Cannery Creek Hatchery, Prince William Sound

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I tried the hot-air and burned the sucker out. Try pouring the popped corn into a 5 gallon pail and sprinkling a little raspberry jello on it while warm. NOT sugar free. Fatten them bears. Bears loved it. But the time to produce it was consuming.

I have a buddy back in Michigan that has his wife pick up every popcorn popper she can find when she goes garage sailing. he usualy goes through 3 or 4 popping corn for bear bait

Pop your popcorn right in your barrel. Use a 55 gallon drum with a removable lid. Put it over a fire and pour in a ton of the cheap popcorn from Costco. Use old restraunt grease for the oil. Stir with a canoe paddle until done. I have it written down around here somewhere how much popcorn kernals makes 30 gallons of popped corn. I drill several holes all around the barrel and chain it to a tree. It works great. For attractant I boil water/a bag of marshmellows and a box of cherry jello in a big pot over a thing of sterno. Let it boil until it turns to cherry tar. Smear it all over the trees around your bait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast