I have an option to upgrade to 150 hp for what seems to
    be a reasonable price. is 150hp enough?

Quote Originally Posted by quakerwhacker View Post
    I just purchased a 2008 22' ocean pro
    The 115 hp yamaha 4-stroke is standard.
    How much motor do I really need?
    I have an option to upgrade to 150 hp for what seems to
    be a reasonable price. is 150hp enough?
    I have that boat with a 150. That is minimum in my opinion. The 150 top end is 38mph but you can cruse at 30 mph burning the same fuel as the 115 and not be running your motor at wide open.

If I had to do it again the 225 would be real nice. The 150 is a good motor for that boat though. Upgrade the motor. You will not regret it!!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Fuel Consumption?

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    I have that boat with a 150. That is minimum in my opinion. The 150 top end is 38mph but you can cruse at 30 mph burning the same fuel as the 115 and not be running your motor at wide open.

If I had to do it again the 225 would be real nice. The 150 is a good motor for that boat though. Upgrade the motor. You will not regret it!!
    What are you getting for fuel consumption at cruise?

... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Get the 150 or more

I currently own a 22 pacific cruiser with the 150 and have also owned a 22 ft searunner with a 140 on it and a 20 alumaweld with a 115. If anything I wish I had gotten a 200-225 for the new boat. THe 150 runs great but when you start to make those longer runs out to the fishing grounds often you wish you could spend less time getting there and back. Also we were fighting some good waves and the tide this summer and the 150 was working really hard to keep the boat plowing through the waves. I would even consider the evinrude etec to keep the weight and costs down. But I have the Yamaha 150 so that is where I will stay.

Don't under power it. I have a 2000 22' Sea Runner with twin 115 Johnsons on it. I would go with the Max the boat will handle.

Default Go bigger

I have a friend with a regular 22' Hewescraft w/ a single 115. To be blunt, it is a dog. 33 mph or so wide open and low end power is marginal. I would definatly go with the 150 or bigger.

Default Go bigger

I have a 2007 220 Ocean Pro - HT - ET. With a 200 hp. Honda. Upgraded from a 150 Hp. Honda
    . Glad I did. 150 hp was adequate but glad I went with the 200.
    115 hp. in my opinion is not enough motor for the Ocean Pro.

Default Bigger is better- Got it!

OK, I read you all loud and clear. I'll be going with the 150 as a minimum.
    I appreciate all the good input.

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

Default Don't forget the trailer

Be sure to order a trailer that is 10 to 15 % larger then the weight you will want to tow,some dealers will sell you a brand new boat with a trailer that is to small.

Old thread but similar topic. I am looking at a 220 OP and most likely going to have them put the 250 Yamaha on it. Is this motor going to lug in the bigger seas? Is it going to sit the back down with the added weight?

I have an 18' sea runner with a 90 on it. It is adequate and works very well but sometimes I like to go faster. I put 150 miles on it with my son and camp gear last weekend and we used 38.5 gallons of fuel.

Just like some of the old college girlfriends - sure am going to miss her when she's gone!

That motor will not lug on that boat unless it is propped incorrectly. I had a 150 on mine and it was adequate. It may make the boat a little stearn heavy, I'm not sure what weight difference is from 150.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I am looking at a 220 OP and most likely going to have them put the 250 Yamaha on it.
    A bud has a 220 OP mounted with a 250, his a Honda rather than a Yami. Zounds! Lots of power and speed in general, and excellent performance in big seas. He has to switch to his kicker to get speeds as low as we like for king trolling, but other than that it's the perfect all around engine for that boat.

The 4.2l Offshore DEC controlled Yamaha F250 only needs 87 octane fuel and has a gear ratio of 1.75:1
    The 3.3l Yamaha F250 is less expensive but requires 89 octane fuel and has a gear ratio of 2.00:1

I am at the same point as you Bullelkker, but I am looking at Raider 2284s, the OceanPro, and Hewes Alaskans with short cabs. But I am just about settled with the 4.2l F250.

Lots of folks are trying to sell the inline four F200 Yamaha with the OceanPro but it too requires 89 octane. I had a new OceanPro with a F150 Yamaha and it was by no means underpowered, even when loaded, but I sold it for another project (big mistake BTW), but after living with a medium cruise speed, I am getting max HP for a much faster cruise... time is money and precious to me now more than back in 2007.

Sobie2

They quoted me the 3.3L it weighs 602 pounds. I think the 150 is 500ish.

What are the bennies of the DEC ?

Looks like the 4.2 is about $4K more - this floater is already pushing my budget limits......also see where guys are getting same mph at 400ish rpm lower with the 4.2 vs the 3.3. With "at max" HP the boat should move along plenty good I think. Heck - they are selling them with the 150 on em and folks are buying them.

Specs on the 4.2 are 562 pounds. The 150 inline 4 is 480.

Engine size comes down to use, how much weight will you normally carry and how far are you running. If your normal use would be fishing within 1/2 hour of port with two people, a 150 would be more than enough power. If however you're looking at multi day trips, several hours from port with 3 or 4 people, or day trips with 6 people an hour plus from port, then more power will definately be useful and appreciated.

If it were me and I were deciding between the 4.2l and 3.3l I'd opt for the 4.4, both because it's lighter and with the added displacement the engine doesn't have to be revved as high i.e. worked as hard to make that hp.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I like to travel it seems. If the fish are close - I'll go far.

To get more time for our buck - we will mostly be doing overnighters far out or day trips with a full boat. I definitely want to go with the 250 - - now just not sure that I want to spend another 4K (rough guess - don't know what they are going to quote me) for the 4.2 with DEC.

I am leaving to go down in 20 minutes to buy this thing.....hoping they will throw in the first oil change kit, spare prop, extended warranty - and maybe sharkhide. I'll let you know.

randy

Amazing how often prop selection is overlooked
    Very few boats I see at the harbor ever get into experimenting with different pitched props, that alone makes a HUGE difference, it's not always just about the horsepower. See my previous posts on this subject. I just repowered my 24 Alaskan with a set of low hour used long shaft 115's. Put some weight back on the boat which I'm not a fan of but the newer motors, fuel injection, longer shaft length and what I paid for them outweighed the only con which was a weight penalty.
    With the same pitched props (19's) as I ran on the old motors, I get 4 kts faster cruise at the same rpm's (4200) and still hit the upper rpm range.
    Experiment with this stuff and you'll be pleasantly surprised. Just about every Honda I see is running 15's which is what they come with I think but most of these boats could run 17's with a higher top speed, lower cruise rpm & better mpg.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast