Thread: silvers??

Default silvers??

Would it pay to head out of Seward in search of Silvers, lings, butts. I have a 16ft Zodiac with a 40hp. would mostly like to put some silvers in the boat
    There's plenty of room for all Gods creatures; right next to the mashed potatoes!

Yes, yes, and yes. But you have to go out of Resurrection Bay to catch/keep Lings. And if you do, then you can't fish for anything once you get back into the bay.

I have to assume that you either haven't been out in the salt water or at least Seward based on your post. If you have experience than you can disreguard my post. As Skydiver said yes yes and yes. I would have to agree. Seward is an awesome fishing ground and a beatiful bay full of sealife. I would most importantly like to advise you that most of the fishing is being done out towards Pony Cove at this time. This is 25 miles out of the Seward harbor. The wind almost always blows to some degree or another so it is important that you listen to the marine weather report before you depart. I personally never took my small craft more than 10 miles out and although people do visit fox island with zodiacs I would strongly suggest you watch the weather. As for using your zodiac in the inner parts of the bay you will have a blast. The fishing is very good for silvers there but it is still a bit early. The best fishing in close to town starts about the middle of August or around the derby time.

I'll add just a little more. I used to have a 16-ft inflatable with a 35 horse. On occasion, I would take it as far out as Resurrection Point. I eventually bought a 24-footer because I wanted to get out to Pony and beyond. That was about 5 years ago. Now that I look back, I believe that I would have had no problems going to Pony in the inflatable. You basically can't sink them, and they're very stable. You'll likely have only one motor, but there are many boats out there that have only one (although a majority probably have kickers, too). It will, however, take you longer to get to Pony than most other boats. So in an inflatable that's in good condition, with a good motor, in good weather, I would go to Pony. HOWEVER, I would never (and besides, you could be ticketed by the CG) go out without the required VHF, flares, sound device (air horn), PFDs, gps, common sense, etc. If you're new to boating, I would suggest that you stay closer in until you gain some boating experience.

Default Thanks

Well I'm not the authority on boating in the salt but I do have experience i've taken 8 to 10 foot swells in march with whiteout condtions and no fish, that aside I just wanted to take my mother out and land a few silvers not pummel her to death in the chop but if its to early for silvers in closer then we will just run out of Anchor point and hit the Butts. thanks for the info I guess i'll just wait until I here of silver being caught closer.
    There's plenty of room for all Gods creatures; right next to the mashed potatoes!

Default Silvers

Just thought I would add that we caught Silvers and pinks inside the bay last weekend in a 14 ft. zodiac. We did pretty well over by fourth of july creek heading south towards Thumb Cove. We also ran into a school on the other side of the bay before you get to Caines Head. The funny thing is that we just used hoochies with herring and our 2-3 ounce weights trolled behind the boat about 60 back. I guess whatever works is what you stick with. Good Luck, we will be there again this weekend.