Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: direct vent heaters

Cool direct vent heaters

Looking for information on direct vent heaters. Looking at Webasco vs newport direct vent heaters.... anyone have knowledge? We have a 24ft Trophy Bayliner hardtop... limited on room for installation but in need heat for spring hunt....

Default Ahh, heat

Check out toyotomi, nice, compact, fan, and you can vent throughout the cabin.

I have the espar airtronic in my boat (see glacier craft build thread) and I am impressed. We were sitting in it this afternoon and it kept the cabin in shirt sleeve temps.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Check out the repair shops

A friend of mine went to the Seattle boatshow last yr, mainly to research heating & water heating upgrades for his 34ft Tollycraft. I've been in the heating business for over 30yrs, so he obviously picked my brain for advise, but boat-type direct vent heaters are a specialized group. While down there, he did a very smart thing: he found out who the repair shops were that worked on these heaters, then found which ones had the best reputation for knowing thier stuff. He dropped in and talked with them.
    All 3 previous mentioned brands are mentioned as very good products: Espar, Webasto, Toyotomi.

However, he asked one very key question: which ones do you work on the least? Thier answer: the Webasto units. They thought all the mentioned brands were good quality units. But they mentioned they work on the Espars the most, and the Webastos the least.
    The majority of the heaters they see on the boats down there are the Espars and the Webastos.

Not trying to point anyone in any direction here. But I thought it was interesting information.

I bought a Webasto do-it-yourself kit last year - the AirTop 2000 - and did it myself. That was bad. The kit showed up with about a thousand little bitty parts in little bitty bags - but no parts list.

I wound up talking to Sure Marine Services in Seattle quite a bit - they talked me through the worst of it - and I bought several hundred more dollars of parts from them that were necessary to make the DIY kit actually work the way I wanted it to.

That said, the thing works great - one full season with perfect performance. Quieter than my Wallas stove, thermostat controlled, uses very little fuel.

Yup they all work great, but remember they all need a battery to make them run so if your going to be somewhere for awhile? well remember about the battery If it were me i'd only have a diesel fired stove/heater, always works and doesn't need a battery & if it takes a fit well its easy to work on & almost always some tinkering with the carb will get it up & heating again.
    I have the Dickenson Bristol model on my boat but they do make a small heater style model.
    P5060043.JPG

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I really would like to have one of those - but there is no place to fit one in my boat. Also, the Webasto is forced air, and comes with all kinds of duct work, so now I have windshield defrosters.

how about one of these? one burns diesel & the other propane. A friend has one of those hightech battery powered stoves yeah the ducts are nice but he installed a diesel heater last season and well he loves it, nice even heat.
    heaters-newportP-TH-small.jpg

Newport1_small.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

The Dickinson "Alaskan" burns diesel and provides a lot of heat. It's one of the smaller ones that potbuilder posted above. They are great little stoves and you can get a stack radiator kit that provides even more heat to the cabin. The stove runs about $650. My only recommendation would be to get the non-adjustable fuel pump, they are WAY quieter, you barely hear the small "tick" every 15 seconds or so.

For forced air, I work on a boat with the Webasto 3500, it's ok, but very loud. It has worked flawlessly and cranks the heat out, unfortunately it's just undersized for our boat. Two of my buddies have the Toyotomi cabin heaters and they are a really good heater. If I ever install a forced air system, it will be one of the Toyotomi, theirs seem to heat their Hewescraft up until it's HOT. Even running around in 20 degree weather it is very comfortable.

Thumbs up Espar

My vote has to go to the Espar Airtronic 4. Almost 14,000 btu's, forced air, very quiet and very efficient. I have installed about 150 of these over the years and have only seen one come back.

http://www.espar.com/html/applications/marine.html

(This is the heater I was running at the boat show at -20 deg.)

Unhappy Need a new cabin heater too

I had a Wallas 1300 installed by AK performance marine and RV last fall and it doesn't even keep the nip off, so after dumping over 2K on a cabin heater for my 22' hewescraft HT, I am again looking for a heater that can perform in the 30 degree range. The replies on this post are helpful, thanks, Men.

one word, Dickinson

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default Trade Secrets. Destroy after reading.

Run4yours:
    Did your Wallas 1300 EVER eventually heat your boat up at 30 deg. outdoor temp? The cabin area of a 22ft Hewes HT is 6.417 ft. x 7.83 ft x 6 ft height = approx 302 cu. ft. Your Wallas heater is 1.2KW heat output which equals 4095 Btu ( 3413 btu per KW ). That comes to just over 13.5 btu per cu. ft of you cabin space. If that is not doing it at all, I'd say something in the realm of 20-25 btu per cu. ft. should suffice.
    That would mean 302 cu ft. x 25 = 7550 btu.

Don't know Spoiled Ones cabin dimensions ( 'care to chime in here, Spoiled One? ) but I looked at his pics and if I had to take a guess, I'd say his cabin area is probably twice as big as a 22ft. Hewes. So- GlacierCraft mentioned he put an Espar D4 unit in there-- those are a 4-step ( boost/high/med/low ) unit--- boost is 13,650 btu. Doing the calcs here would mean 13650 / 600 cu. ft = 22.75 btu per cu. ft. And he was heating his boat outdoors in -20F. If he can heat the interior of his cabin to +70deg at a -20 deg. outdoor temp ( a 90deg. rise )------there is a very workable rule-of-thumb you could use. Key point here, however:-- that would be fine for a unit with step-down capacity such as the Espar has. At 30 deg. outdoor temps, the "boost" setting capacity of that unit might cook you out of there. You'd want the ability to step down the heat output.

That being the case, the Espar Airtronic D2 is a smaller version: 7500 btu at "boost". Right in line with your numbers. No matter what brand or model type you choose, the 7500 btu range is probably the one you want to hone in on for max capacity.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Run4yours:
    Did your Wallas 1300 EVER eventually heat your boat up at 30 deg. outdoor temp? The cabin area of a 22ft Hewes HT is 6.417 ft. x 7.83 ft x 6 ft height = approx 302 cu. ft. Your Wallas heater is 1.2KW heat output which equals 4095 Btu ( 3413 btu per KW ). That comes to just over 13.5 btu per cu. ft of you cabin space. If that is not doing it at all, I'd say something in the realm of 20-25 btu per cu. ft. should suffice.

Don't know Spoiled Ones cabin dimensions ( 'care to chime in here, Spoiled One? ) but I looked at his pics and if I had to take a guess, I'd say his cabin area is probably twice as big as a 22ft. Hewes. So- GlacierCraft mentioned he put an Espar D4 unit in there-- those are a 4-step ( boost/high/med/low ) unit--- boost is 13,650 btu. Doing the calcs here would mean 13650 / 600 cu. ft = 22.75 btu per cu. ft. And he was heating his boat outdoors in -20F. If he can heat the interior of his cabin to +70deg at a -20 deg. outdoor temp ( a 90deg. rise )------there is a very workable rule-of-thumb you could use. Key point here, however:-- that would be fine for a unit with step-down capacity such as the Espar has. At 30 deg. outdoor temps, the "boost" setting capacity of that unit might cook you out of there. You'd want the ability to step down the heat output.

That being the case, the Espar Airtronic D2 is a smaller version: 7500 btu at "boost". Right in line with your numbers. No matter what brand or model type you choose, the 7500 btu range is probably the one you want to hone in on for max capacity.

Hope this helps.
    Spoiled one's cab is 9 X 11 1/2 I do believe for reference. Very impressed with the Espar D4...
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Thanks Mr. Bill, that's a lot of data, but puts me in the market for a 7500 btu heater. The Wallas never did heat the cabin up, just the lucky guy sitting directly across from it while I battled the condensation on the windshield while driving. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Run4yours:

Hope this helps.

I would estimate the cabin is 12'x9'+or- not including the v-birth. The cabin is fully insulated and very tight. My 24 foot hewes was not insulated and was not tight. I had the wallas 1300 in it and it worked okay when we were anchored up, but a lot of outside air flowing in when underway. Look under the gunnels behind the seats of the hewes and you can see outside. I plugged these up and it helped, plus added weather stripping to the walk through and that sure helped. It would not smoke you out, but it kept it warm and dry during spring bear hunts during both April and May. I would say the airtronic D 2 would be a good fit if you "tightened" up the cabin and maybe even carpet it or insulate it.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I use a Toyotomi NS-2800 in My 220 Ocean Pro. Works quite well.
    Not to say if I had carpet on the entire insde of the hard top than just on the ceiling it would most likly improve the over all heat up effeceincy time of the cabin.

On high output is 9800 btu/Hr. and on Low 4900 btu/hr.
    The unit fits nicley up under drivers side dash and is vented out through front of cabin. See attached picture of heater attached. I have used in 15 F temperatures with out difficulty.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Wallas 800

I installed a Wallas cook top with the cover/fan unit and last October in PWS there was Ice out on the out side deck so it had to of been 32 outside and it kept the cabin at 45 to 50 for $1400 bucks.
    Last edited by alaskapiranha; 04-27-2008 at 15:10.

Fish Hammer, who did you go through to get that Toyotomi heater installed?

I installed it my self. Wasn't very dificuldt but you need to be a contortionist. Took me about 8 hrs. Here is a few more pics to show how it was installed. I will send another thread with a couple more pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast