Thread: non residen aliens getting fishing licenses cheap

Default non residen aliens getting fishing licenses cheap

This summer I had friend visiting. They have dual citizenship in Canada and Switzerland. They were in the yukon on the way up here. They had some friends near Haines with a boat and went fishing. He told me he got fishing licenses for the family for $15 each. I was confused. He wanted to possibly try for a black bear and thought he would get a bear tag cheap too. He checked with fish and game here in anchorage and he told them about the fishing licenses down there and that he wanted to check on a black bear. They could not believe what they were hearing and they had to call down to believe it he said.

I was talking to another canadian who is living in anchorage now waiting for her papers to clear Immigration. She mentioned she fished some river in Haines. So I asked if she got a cheap license and she said yes. The guy from this fall said all the canadian residents in the yukon area keep their boats in the Haines harbor and they get the licenses as a regular resident. It still makes no sense to me. Not sure on exact cost of a non resident alien but seems like it was around $100 for a season.

I will bite my tongue for now. Some on here will know why. Just want to know what you all think.

yukon residents get in state fishing licenses by showing their yukon fishing license, we get yukon licenses for resident price by showing our Alaska licenses. Pretty nice arrangement IMO the yukon has some good fishing
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default If True

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    yukon residents get in state fishing licenses by showing their yukon fishing license, we get yukon licenses for resident price by showing our Alaska licenses. Pretty nice arrangement IMO the yukon has some good fishing
    If this is true would you please quote the DF&G regulations stating so and the corresponding Canadian law.

Nonresident license fees*
    1-day sport fi shing license . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $ 20.00
    3-day sport fi shing license . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $ 35.00
    7-day sport fi shing license . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $ 55.00
    14-day sport fi shing license . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $ 80.00
    Annual nonresident sport fi shing license . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $145.00
    * Residents of Yukon Territory are entitled to Alaska resident license fees.
    Found it. But it is not as you stated. It says, they are "entitled to Alaska resident fees".
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 02-10-2008 at 21:02. Reason: added info.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

this is from here
    http://www.environmentyukon.gov.yk.c...gulations.html

Fishing Licences for Alaskan Residents
    Alaskan residents fishing in the Yukon may purchase their licences at Yukon resident rates. To qualify, they must produce a current Alaska Resident Sport Fishing licence and government issued photo identification.
    pretty good deal if you ask me

yea you're right of course they don't get resident liscences they just pay resident costs...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Good deal, yes!

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    this is from here
    http://www.environmentyukon.gov.yk.c...gulations.html

pretty good deal if you ask me

yea you're right of course they don't get resident liscences they just pay resident costs...
    Now if we can only arrange it for the poor Mexicans we'll be on the road to greater parity.