Thread: Runners?

Default Runners?

I am curious about sled runners, specifically wood. Are they waxed just like wooden skiis? Otherwise finished? Or is there a preferred material for covering runners? What say ye mushers?
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

I found this on the web...

Runners--the skis that slide along the snow and support the rest of the sled. Runners traditionally were made of wood or wood laminate, but aluminum and other composite materials are becoming popular. Contemporary dog sleds have plastic on the bottom of the runner. This provides a slick surface and reduces drag. The plastic slides on and off easily, facilitating quick changing.

Default Raingull...an answer

Most all mushers these days use UHMW (ultra-high-molecular-weight) plastic for runner material. It's also used for toboggan bottoms. When wood alone was used in the old days it was waxed just like skis. If iron was available, that was often used for runner bottoms too.

Thanks, that is just what I was looking for.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

I've seen them change the runners and thought it looked like UHMW plastic. I use that for cutting tables in my shop. My honey is in Nome and has volunteered for the "winner dinner". She said it doesn't matter what time of day or night it happens, when the siren sounds, she's coming to the finish line. She's only 1.5 blocks from there. She went mushing with a lady up there that takes care of dogs for some of the mushers. They were about 12 - 13 miles from town, the snow was deep and the dogs were losing interest in pulling the sled. They sat down on her. It was getting dark and when the lady pulled the dogs around (by the front of the gangline), the wind had blown over the trail and the dogs couldn't find it. I guess they were inexperienced dogs but it was a harrowing 5 hours for my babydoll.

Heh, always bring your headlamp.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?