Thread: Chitna For Dummies

Default Chitna For Dummies

I was thinking about heading to the Chitna for some DN next week. I have never been DN on the Chitna. If anyone has an info ie where to, how to get there, it would be greatly apprecatied. Thanks az
    There's plenty of room for all Gods creatures; right next to the mashed potatoes!

Default Cooper Dipnetting...

You will be dipping in the Copper; the Chitina is off limits to dip netting. I would suggest going with someone who has made the trip before, I have friends who have dipped both Chitina and Kenai, and said they are two different animals. The river and the technique are a little intimidating the first time you try it. Watching someone is in my mind the best thing. If you spend 10 hrs with out a fish you will regret the trip, the hike, and the amount of effort you put in to nothing.

Last year I spent 8 hrs and walked out with 11 fish. Went back to work and told a co-worker of my results, and he said, “you were in the right spot, just move to the right 10 feet and hold your net a little bit farther out." Went back 2 days later and a friend and I had 50+ fish in 2 hours.

Location and timing are everything. Find a back-eddy and a "boil" and you should find fish. If the water is a little high, you will spend all weekend getting your limit. If the water is lower...you should be done in 2-3 hrs if you are in the right spot. (61 minutes for 30 reds this year)

Most people go down past the land slides... If you are going alone, I would suggest using Hems to get into a good spot, ask them for the specifics of where they are dropping you off.

Good luck.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Default safety first

I have only done it once and learned that you need a way to tie yourself off. The river is cold and fast. Some people even had life jackets on.

Default Take a boat and drift

The best way to limit out is by boat drifting if you have a capable boat.
    We went this weekend and got 120 in 5 hours and that's filleting what we have after every 30 fish.
    To get there take the Glenn Hwy to Glennallen and turn right at the intersection (yes there is only one) (if you need gas get it at the tesoro on the corner in Glennalllen) Take the Mccarthy turn off to the left and follow that until you get to a small town. Go through the town and you will go through a cut in the mountain and accross a bridge. lots of parking on the otherside upriver of the bridge. You can dipnet for fish anywhere below the bridge down to the signs above halley creek 11 miles downstream.
    If you don't go by boat then don't cross the bridge and take a right before you start down the hill towards the river. Follow the gravel road as far as you dare and then bale off the side of the mountain and tie yourself off and get your fish on.

P.S.
    Make sure the net is on the bottom or you aren't catching fish.
    Justin

For first timers you will be best off chartering down into the canyon. They will drop you off on a rock that is producing for what the water level is. As far as the bottom goes I disagree if you are fishing the boils in the powerful back eddies. The boil will bring the fish to the top and into your net. If you are fishing a calmer back eddy then you probably want to be near the bottom. The problem with the bottom is that those rocks are sharp and they hook your net tearing holes in it when you tug it free. Take a rope and tie yourself off as it is very dangerous in some of those spots.