Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 WSM loading data

Default 300 WSM loading data

Just picked up a winchester 70 in 300 WSM and am thinking about working up a few loads for it. So far I have shot federal premium 180 tsx and fusion 165. It shot the fusions very well, sub MOA. but wouldn't do any better than 1.5-2" with the 180 TSX. looking for any good loads with 165 tsx/accubond/partition, or 180 accubond/partitions. Thanks.

Default 300 Wsm

I use a win 70 also in 300 WSM.

4 good powders I have used are:

IMR 4831, Reloader 19 and MagPro.

Best accuracy occured with Mag Pro and best vel occured with IMR 4831.

Bullets the 165 TSX worked great @ 70.1.......along with 180 Nosler Part with RL19 @ 69.0.

WLRM primers in WW cases

Thumbs up

My Win 70 300 wsm likes the following:
    180 Hornady Interbond with 69grn of RL-19 @ 2.885"oal with an average velocity of 3050

another good shooting load was the 168 tsx with 68.5grn of RL-19, I can't remember the oal.

I finally got a chance to do some reloading friday and took the 300 WSM to the range today. I loaded up 5 each from 62-63.5gr of H4350 in .5gr increments with 180gr Partition. To be honest I wasn't that impressed with 62, 62.5 was a little better but still not good, and 63 was really bad. I was about to just give up on this powder but decided to shoot my last batch. 63.5 must have been the sweet spot because it went from 3" group to 1/2" group in that half a grain. After the first three shots went into a tight little cluster I decided to save the last two for the chronograph. Clocked in at 2923fps. I'm going to have to load some more of these up and do some accuracy testing at longer rangessd. So far it shows a lot of promise.

I would be real interested in hearing what your follow up testing shows. I was talking with a salesman at a gun store who uses and strongly recommends H4350 in the 300 WSM. He has one and loads it with 168 TSX's and 65 gr of H4350 and he is getting 3000 fps and he really likes it and he is all about accuracy. I'm hoping to get a good accurate load at 3100 - 3200 fps in my Sako.

Also have you thought about 168 Tipped TSX's? I've read a couple of reviews from guys who have switched from TSX's to Tipped TSX's and have seen a signicant improvement in accuracy. The Tipped bullets also have a better BC.
    Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 03-13-2008 at 06:34. Reason: add info

Thumbs up 165 and 168 TSX

The 165-grain TSX incorporates a shorter tangent ogive into the nose profile. Its designed for cartridges with short magazines such as the 300 WSM and 300 Win Mag. The 168-grain TSX BT has a tangent ogive which lengthens the nose profile and has shown superb accuracy downrange. It offers the best of both worlds because its also a premium hunting bullet offering exceptional terminal performance. It is best suited for cartridges such as the 308 Winchester, .30-06 and 300 Weatherby.

Default grooves

Another difference is the 165gr TSX has four grooves in its shank, while the 168gr TSX has three.

Bushman, have you seen any problems with 168's in a 300 WSM magazine or chambering. I've read where a couple of guys use them in their 300 WSM's as well as the gun store salesman here. They didn't seem to have a problem with them, Sure wouldn't want to order a 100 bullets to find out they dont fit.

Here's a product review i got off of Cabella's. He's using it in a TIKKA, and I dont believe the TIKKA action was shortened in the 300 WSM, but it was in the SAKO?

"I PURCHASED THE BARNES .30 CAL 168 GR. TIPPED TSX TO SEE HOW GOOD IT WOULD BE NEXT TO THE PLAIN 168 GR. TSX. I HAVE USED THE REGULAR TSX WITH GREAT RESULTS, LESS THAN 1" (USUALLY 3/4" GROUPS) OUT OF MY TIKKA T3 300 WSM WITH 70 GR'S OF IMR 4831 @ 3060 FPS. THE VERY FIRST LOAD I TRIED WITH THE 168 GR TTSX WAS 68 GR'S. OF IMR 4831, AND WOW... I AM NOT KIDDING, SUB 1/2" GROUP @ 2950 FPS. I THINK I WILL TRY TO GET A LITTLE FASTER, BUT I THINK I HAVE FOUND MY PET LOAD ALREADY. BECAUSE OF THE DIFFERENT SHAPE I DID MOVE THEM A LITTLE CLOSER THAN THE REGULAR TSX BULLETS. INSTEAD OF STARTING AT .05, I WOULD START AT .03. IT SEEMED TO WORK FOR ME. THESE THINGS REALLY SHOOT GREAT. WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEM. IT WOULD BE GOOD IF BARNES SACKED UP AND POSTED A GOOD BC FOR THIS BULLET."
    Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 03-13-2008 at 13:07. Reason: add info

OK, I just called Barnes and this is what i was told. The 168 bullets are longer and they dont load them for Federal because they wouldn't meet the SAAMI specs. They do load the 165's for Federal. However, Black Hills Gold does load the 168's in a 300 WSM, apparently they dont care about the SAAMI specs for that load.

Did some more shooting with the 180gr partition load at the range this weekend. Overall it shows excellent accuracy. I think I will just stick with this load as a do all loading. I can't think of anything I would ask this 300 WSM to do that this load wouldn't accomplish with ease. Here are a couple more good 100 yard groups and a decent 300 yard group.

Smile 300 wsm

I thought I would add to the thread as I got off the phone with Hodgdon today. I was asking for data on IMR 4831 as I have always used it in my other rifles and I have seen numerous references to guys loving it in the WSMs. I wanted data on 165 grain noslers which I shot this weekend. I got into an argument with the guy who insisted it wouldnt work thats why they dont publish it. I said I shot it this weekend and it looked promising. He said H4350 was fast and better I said no it wasnt in my rifle this weekend as I tried that. The loads were so slow they dropped off the page. He said the 4831 would not do as well in temps I said it was blowing snow and freezing and it did well. He said impossible. So although its not recommended by Hodgdon/IMR below 180 grains, my Tikka t3 seems to like the IMR 4831 for 165 grain bullets. I used the same data as for H4831 which again worked great although its "not recommended." Everyone on the internet likes the upper loads of 4831 (68-69 grains) but my gun did best with the lighter loads (64-65).

Does anyone have a manual with data for IMR 4831 at 165 grains in the 300 wsm?
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Howdy Sollybug, you might try this link, it's not manual data, but it's something.

http://www.reloadersnest.com/query_p...der=IMR%204831

The Bear 78,
    That is outstanding accuracy from a factory rifle. I wouldnt change a thing nor would I ever sell it!
    Has anything been done to the rifle at all?
    Randy
    Tennessee

Snowwolfe-

I had Stan Jackson go over the rifle, blueprinted the action, recrown, setback the barrel and rechamber, and bedded into this wild dog stock. It went from shooting factory 180 TSX at 1.5-2" to 3/4". This is the first 5 shot group for accuracy I shot out of it after getting it back from stan, 180gr TSX fed premium load.

The weird thing is that federal premium loads are really hot, primers are flat. I wouldn't want to shoot any hotter of a load.

Default Clean Barrel

Remember to clean the barrel real good before using TSX.......with a good solvent.

IMR 4831 @ 69.5 with 165gr

Alaska Bush Man,

Why is it so important to clean the barrel before shooting the TSX? Are they that sensitive or what?

As far as I have heard they are that sensitive.

A friend of mine that really liked the first barnes X bullets swore by the "outers foul out" machine. He said it made a huge difference with the X bullets.

By the way I just found a homemade foul out machine plans.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/copperout/index.asp
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Two comments:

First, I read the new TSX bullets dont foul as much...

Second, a friend of mine molly coats his TSX bullets for increased velocity and fouling protection...

Any comments?

Thumbs up 165 Tsx

The 165 TSX are made for the 300 WSM.....

Coating.....this stuff gets in your bore.........seem to work better in SS barrels for me.

Remember to start with good clean bore before using TSX and Barnes Cr10 is good bore cleaner.......
    All copper bullets like the TSX at least in my rifles group best when a good clean bore is used.

Reloader 19 or IMR 4831 works good

Reloader 17 the new powder made for WSM.....should work good also!

From Barnes Bullet Tech:

The 165-grain TSX incorporates a shorter tangent ogive into the nose profile. It’s designed for cartridges with short magazines such as the 300 WSM and 300 Win Mag. The 168-grain TSX BT has a tangent ogive which lengthens the nose profile and has shown superb accuracy downrange. It offers the best of both worlds because it’s also a premium hunting bullet offering exceptional terminal performance. It is best suited for cartridges such as the 308 Winchester, .30-06 and 300 Weatherby.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast