Thread: Best fishing dates!

Default Best fishing dates!

My family and I are going to Anchorage, Seward and Kodiak <-- in that order from July 28th through August 13th.

Were going to do a charter in each city and I need some help deciding what to fish for in each city. (hoping to get halibut, salmon and maybe some rockfish, nothing like a salmon shark lol). And are these alright dates do you think?

I'm the son and I have to plan this trip for the family because I'm the only one that fish's and it sucks.

Thanks. love alaska this'll be my second trip, first one was an absolute blast to the southeast.

Thumbs up Great Time for Kodiak

The first week in August is always great for Kodiak. You will have pinks at almost every river on the road system, kings, silvers, ling, halibut and rock fish offshore. You may even get some late arrival sockeye at Pasagshak and Saltry.

What you need to do is start making arrangements right now for Kodiak. What most people don't realize is, that Kodiak has a limited amount of charter folks. Usually our August is booked 6-7 months in advance and so are most rental car and B&B's.

Good luck and happy fishing.

Awesome thanks for the reply. If there was only one fish you could fish for off Kodiak on August 8th which would it be? (what would be best)

Can you do the same for Anchorage on July 30th and Seward on August 3rd?

Thanks

Default Boat or Shore

Shore is pinks.

Boat, there is no reason a good guide can't get you on silver, kings and halibut. Our run times are only 35-50 minutes so you have the whole day to fish.

Default Don't count out Kenai river sockeyes...

if you have a little time to spend around Anchorage/Seward. You'll be in the prime time for Kenai sockeyes, plus they're arguably the best eating fish in all Alaska. Plus, a day or two fishing sockeyes is cheap fishing, no guides required.
    Going to Kodiak could very well spoil you forever, from what I've been told!
    Jim

Halibut, Lincod, and Silver fishing should be outstanding during this time frame.

Default Pick the better tide for your Halibut trip

Steelieguy, check my tide charts the best Halibut dates are colored green, then plan accordingly.
    http://www.wildroselodge.com/2008CookInletwp.htm
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Those dates will work for you. Silvers will be in, halibut fishing is very good and rockfish are always there to be caught.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default best fishing dates

.......are women who bring thier own beer, and can tie a knot.

Default Oh NO!

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    .......are women who bring thier own beer, and can tie a knot.
    You do not want women that want to tie the knots! Very dangerous to your freedom!

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Lol Dave that was a zinger!!

Default looking for best location for salmon fishing

My two grown sons and I would like to fish for salmon for 3 or 4 days in June. Is this a good time? We are on a budget and need suggestions as to suitable places we can afford. We do not have and thus will need fishing equipment. Please advise.

Default I go to Petersburg

I have been to Petersburg ak and the last time it was very good.
    If anybody reads this what type of spinner/spoons works the best for the rivers. I would love somebody to tell me what type of gear to bring. I would it add it to my list from last time. Last time I used blue foxes red green orange caught pinks in july...on a creek

Ok let's see here....
    One for a 3 or 4 day cheap fishing trip I would say the Pennisula. That would be Kenai, and Kasilof with possilbly Seward or Homer thrown in. Between Kenai and Homer are also deep creek and the anchor.
    June is pretty good fishing for King Salmon in the Kenai, but you need a boat or REALLY heavy tackle. You can also fish Kings in the Kasilof at crooked creek campground and it is easier. The fishing lagoon in Homer is also an good option but it is NOT river fishing but you have a good chance to catch a king and tent camp for cheap. You can also surf cast from the beach near lands end hotel and catch many different species. (none all that great for eating but hey it's catching fish).
    In June I personally fish closer to anchorage in Ship creek here in town, in Montana creek north of town, and Eklutna tailrace though that hasn't impressed me yet. (just started a King run there 3 years ago).

For levard, I use very few lures for salmon. I am not totally sure what run timing is like in Petersburg but Hey I'll give you a run down.
    Kings, I fish either eggs on a bobber or on bottom with a spin-n-glo. For the spin-n-glow I use a three way swivel with one tied to a 2 foot leader for the spin-n-glo and then a weight tied on the other loop, and finally my line tied to the other end.
    I also use big spinners or blue foxes when bait is not legal. Or a spin-n-glo with no bait.
    For Pinks, use small spinners and spoons. any color will do.
    For reds, I use a gamasuka hook in legal sizes and yarn. I will use "russian river flies" but find the hook and yarn is cheaper to lose and has a better hook.

Default Thanks a lot

akbrownsfan:

Thanks a lot if you were going to put together tackle list must have and basic what would you buy please include hook sizes ect.
    I used 20 pound test last time worked fine, ran out of spoons ( loss )
    and a back up rod was important. Yarn worked ok, spin and glows I will bring
    more of how about hot shots or quick fish what you think of those ?

I like kwik fish lures and Hot-n-shots but they are mainly a boat lure. You can fish them from shore but not as effectively.
    I mainly use pixees and Vibrax fox spinners. I use them in size 6 when fishing kings sometimes a 5. I personally like the blue ones and the red/blood colored ones.
    For reds, it all depends on if I am fishing a fly only zone (russian) or not. I use a hook in the fly areas that has a small enough gap between hook point and shank to be legal. I can not remember what size they are. I literally measure them at the fish/gear store. In the lower river where hook size doesnt' matter I use pretty big hooks.
    I carry various weights from small split shot to bigger teardrop weights. I'd guess from 1/8 an ounce to 3/4 an ounce.
    I usually carry 3 different colors of yarn, pink, green, orange.

For Pinks I use pixees and vibrax again just smaller...I think size 2.
    I have a couple other spinners and spoons that I try from time to time. Mainly because they look good or cast further. Let me know if you have more questions or I didn't answer the one you had!!

Default Your quotation...

"I'm the son and I have to plan this trip for the family because I'm the only one that fish's and it sucks."

Not true. The plan is fun and you can already see that the locals are guiding you along. There is plenty for your non-fishing members to do at those locations. Some are excursions that cost, but some are absolutely free.

Kodiak offers up more to do for the non-fisherman for under ten bucks than you could ever imagine; they have two museums right in town that are exceptional. (Barnov House and Alutiq Repository) Pack a lunch and sit and eat on the whalebones! Watch the whales blow right off Ft. Abercrombie for free! Drop into the the B&B Bar (oldest in Alaska) and have a cold one right next to the guys and gals who fish the deep blue!

Your family will certainly thank you once you are in on the plan. The only thing that sucks will be the breath taken out of them once you finish puting this class-act adventure together...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Yep, and the Monks at Monks rock and the bookstore! Or a 4 hour drive and you are at Pashagshack (is that right?) or just outside of town, fish the buskin or american creek for dollies while the family enjoys Kodiak.

Or soldovia acros from Homer.

Or Valdez.

Or Fairbanks and fish some rivers up there.

There are very interesting things to do for everyone all across alaska. Most of our "tourists" spots are also great fishing spots. With some good planning you and your family will truly enjoy it!