Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaskan Holster makers?

Default Alaskan Holster makers?

Was wondering what peoples opinions where on these two guys products. I have a Ruger Redhawk 5.5" 44, that I need a holster for. I would prefer somthin' I could change from strongside to crossdraw if I wanted to.

http://www.simplyrugged.com

http://www.davidjohnstonleather.com/Pages/Holsters.html

Thanks, Jake

Thumbs up Simply Rugged

I have purchased two holsters from Rob at Simply Rugged. One of these is for a Ruger .454. Quality is outstanding, and his prices are great. His pancake holsters can be worn strongside or crossdraw.
    ..."Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions." - G.K. Chesterton

Dave Johnsons holsters are really well built and comfortable. Good guy to deal with. akraven

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

http://www.alaskasportsmanproducts.com/

I use one of these for my 500 S&W.
    Allen Glore

Default Johnston

Have one of Dave Johnston's holsters. Very happy - quality, price, and service!

Chris

Default Dave Johnston

Have two of his chest holsters to carry the Ruger blackhawk and S&W mountain gun. Top quality product. I use them several times each month hunting for the past 2 years. Dave is a great guy to talk with.

Thumbs up Dave's for sure

Dave's products are first class, just purchased 2 more from him this morning. Leather expert for sure.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default I recommend Dave Johnston too.

He'll make whatever you want, help you decide, and do a great job.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Thumbs up Picture of a S&W 500 4in

Thought I would leave you a pictures of Dave's setup.

Enjoy & give him a call,
    Attached Images Attached Images

akflyer:
    Yeah, and you can wear it a cupla different ways too.

I was in there today, to pick up some other stuff, like a holster for her little Colt, and a Bandoleer to carry it. It's really neat, both the holster and bandoleer. She doesn't have to have a belt around her waist, just put the bandoleer over her shoulder.

Anyway, I ordered one like in your picture for my 44.
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

The Alaska Sportsman is a nice holster but there's a night & day difference between it & Dave's rig.

Dave makes exceptional holsters.

Quote Originally Posted by akflyer View Post
    Thought I would leave you a pictures of Dave's setup.

Enjoy & give him a call,
    akflyer,

Thank you for posting these pictures!

That's a really nice setup -- it looks like something that will work for the way I intend to carry S&W 460V (the 5" version). I was wondering if you could tell me what is that strap seen over the hammer? Is that something that came with the holster and if so how do you like it? If I wanted to remove it how secure is the gun in the holster without it?

Does anyone know what happened to David Johnston's website (it's gone):

http://www.davidjohnstonleather.com

I also tried to email him to no avail..

looks like his website is back online ...

Default Alaska Sportsman Holster

Personally I think the leather holster is not comparable to the Sportsman for 3 primary reasons: (1) The Sportmans is lighter; (2) It has more capacity for additional rounds, 15 to be exact; (3) It's half the prices ($60 compared to $140). There are several other reasons but these are basically my reasons for getting the Sportsman. Both seemed to give you plenty adjustments and both are of good quality craftsmanship. It seems like the leather holster would need to be broke-in based on my handling of it. When I put the 460V in the leather holster & tried drawing it seemed to take more effort, but I did not have it completely adjusted. I also do not like the hammer guard on the leather holster. I would much rather press the clip on the Sportsman to draw my sidearm then try to take off a leather loop from the hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Live2HuntAK View Post
    I would much rather press the clip on the Sportsman to draw my sidearm then try to take off a leather loop from the hammer.
    I don't like the hammer loop either -- I'd much rather have a tight fitting leather holster that doesn't require additional retention device or a thumb break instead of a loop. I also can't seem to figure out the design of the clip on the Sportsman, how does it work?

Obviously, I'm a fan of Dave Johnstonís holsters.

They hold the gun tight in the holster, so it canít move around, and wear out the bluing.

They are stiff enough, that the gun stays put, and the holster stays put, plus it offers more protection for the gun.

The ones I have all have an adjustable tension screw, and the hammer loop, snap, or whichever, is not even needed. Just a quick jerk and my guns come out slicker than Owl Poop.

Iíve not used an Alaska Sportsman holster, but they should, be cheaper, because they use cheaper materials, and would require little skill to assemble. From what Iíve seen, they are more like a ďBagĒ than a holster.

I donít think there is any comparison, really, as far as quality is concerned, but yeah they are cheaper, and that can be an important issue too.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Obviously, I'm a fan of Dave Johnstonís holsters.
    Does anyone know how do his holsters compare to DeSantis Terminator -- for example this one:
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...roductId=45979

Default choices

Simply rugged.....
    "SUA SPONTE"
    "Illigitmati non Carborundum"

I'm 51..... thats 12 in man years.....

Default Dave Johnston again

Have two chest holsters and they are tops. Initial fit was tight, but once broken in the leather formed exactly to gun in a short time. The fit was perfect. Adjust the tension screw down a bit after initial break-in to hold gun snug. I've used other cordura chest holster mentioned, including the Blackhawk, and Dave's works best for me. Fit, comfort, security, speed, and service that is outstanding.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast