Thread: Sleeping Pads

Default Sleeping Pads

Hey guys,

What is everyone's thought on length of sleeping pads. I am going to upgrade to the pro-lite 4, but was wondering about the length. I am doing a sheep hunt and am trying to balance weight/comfort. I am trying to decide whether to get the short or regular pad. I there any value to the extra length? I am thinking that I can get the short and put my jacket/fleece under my feet to provide insulation. This will ultimately save weight and space.

Thank you in advance to my hunting friends.

sully

I have the Prolite 4 short pad. That thing is a pleasure to carry, but if the ground is cold my feet can get a little chilly. It's still my pad of choice, but if you're doing late season hunts you may want to consider a longer pad. For an August sheep hunt, it's great.

Personally I will not compramise comfort over weight. I use a Cabela's guide air matress, 1 1/2" full length. I tried one of those foam fold up ones on a sheep hunt once and it about killed me, every morning was a chore to get up and going. Pro Lite 4 is a nice pad, I would go full length.

Check out the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Mummy. 18-23 oz depending on length, Primaloft, and 2 1/2" thick. Was very pleased on our hunt last year, it was amazing how much that 2 1/2" smoothed out the tundra.

Default full length...

A full length pad could make you more comfortable. Likely to keep your feet warmer as well. The pads are for comfort and warmth as they insulate you from the ground. If it is going to be very cold, I would take a full length pad for that reason alone. I would save weight somewhere else personally.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I 2nd the big agnes mummy. I used it on my REX trail hunt @ 20 below. In my opinion the pro lite is not even in the same league! Lite weight, insulated and packs small. Finally something I don't have to compromise on.