Thread: The stars are aligned- maybe

Default The stars are aligned- maybe

Living on the Knik River and watching conditions every year I'd have to say, with this extended cold period, it's finally possible to run all the way up to Lake George on an ATV
    I've been watching for a long time, four years ago it wasn't nearly this cold for this long and I made it across the river and lake to the entrance of the canyon. I turned around and my two partners were still on the bank shaking their heads and saying "no way!"
    I'm pretty sure I made it across the worst spot as I don't think the river in the canyon is deep in winter.
    Three times I've been in the same spot there and no one would follow

I'll admit that I had to break out the topo map to figure out where you were talking about...but it sure looks intriguing! Can you elaborate more on what exactly constitutes the nature of "the worst spot"? (Thin ice, open water, deep snow, etc.)

All the way over to the south side of the glacier is a lake and from this lake the Knik River begins. Look up east and you'll see the opening to a canyon that has a river then drains Lake George. This spot where the Knik starts is almost ALWAYS icefree and when it has ice it's a scary spot. You have to drive a couple hundred yards across it to get to the canyon. If ya bust through it's bye bye machine and maybe your life.

How wide is this canyon, and can I follow you while riding your spare machine? J/K