Thread: 45-70 Guide Gun Bullet

Default 45-70 Guide Gun Bullet

Looking for a tough 400 grain bullet to shoot out of my 45-70 guide gun. Something for close range black bear and moose or as a Brown Bear deterrent. I had been loading some 400 grain Beartooth bullets, but can no longer find them. Seems like none of the big manufacturers make the bullet I'm looking for. Anyone found a good bullet from a smaller company? Hoping to stay with the heavy bullet / moderate velocity theory. Don't want to drop to the 350 grain unless I can't find the 400.

Thanks

beartoothbullets and castperformance are both still making many bullets for the 45-70 and both are still available by U.S. mail. Just add some "w's" and a "dot com" to the above. You'll find them.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I was wrong. I should have said Kodiak bullets out of Juneau. I had been looking at Garrett, Buffalo Bore, and the Beartooth bullets and made the mistake. I was hoping to stay away from lead bullets, and having a difficult time finding a tough jacketed bullet.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

If you change your mind and want to try some lead bullets let me know. I have been casting the RCBS 45-405 gas checked bullets out of a couple of different alloys and have had good results with accuracy and very little if any leading issues. I cant say how they perform on game as of yet, but all indications suggest that they should do quite well. And when you compare the price to that of the specialty jacketed bullets…………well, there just aint no comparision.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I've been really happy with Hawk Bullets. Their 400 grain FN with the .035 jacket has performed beyond all my expectations on game, and if you want really tough they offer the same bullet with a .050 jacket. Haven't tried them, but I haven't felt the need, even pushing the .035's a whole lot faster than you're going to manage while keeping all the pieces of a Marlin in one place.

Kodiak makes great 45-70 bullets, I have some in stock now, but you can order them directly at 907-789-3834. Carl should be back in the shop this week. He and owner Mike Murray are having some health issue but I think things are still going at Alaska Bullet Works. I certainly hope they can stay in business. Buy all you can, they are ideal for 45-70 velocity.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

At moderate velocities, 1,600 to 1,900 fps, even the bulk bag Remington 405 grain slugs do OK. Although I recenty found that when loading them for my friends Marlin Guide Gun we had to load them deeper than the cannelure and use a factory crimp die. My 86 Winchester liked them a little longer.
    I have only fired them thru piles of wet phone books so far, but they seem to hold together just fine.

The live critters I have shot with a 45-70 have been with cast bullets and those worked just fine as well.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Darned tootin!!!!!

I'm real fond of the Remington 405 in 45-70, because that's the velocity range I asign to the round.

If you really want to appreciate the 45-70 and understand why it's stuck around so long, go back and visit the original ballistics, which are even lower. It's a dandy game whomper, even when you aren't loading it hot to ward off your bear charge nightmares.

I'll be using the Garrett 420 grain Hammerheads come this spring for my brown bear hunt. I know a fella that uses the 540 grain Hammerheads and he tells me they just flat out hammer the bears.

Default Only my two cents

Western, here is a short link I had a few weeks back on somewhat a similar question... http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=21982

If it doesn't work just look back to I think page 4 or 5 for the thread which is 45/70 and the 350 grain Kodiak bullet.

I have been told over and over that Kodiak makes a great bullet, and I think they do from what I read, but I don't have any real experience with them. I'll update this spring I hope with some first hand data.

As for a 400 grain bullet, I can't speak to Remington's 405 although I am a die hard Remington fan, I just never killed anything with them. Now the 400 grain speer... different story, 3 moose, 2 black bear myself and a buddy of mine has also downed 3 moose and several black bear. Only issue if you will, all the animals took two shots at less than 75 yards to stop them in there tracks. For Brown bear, I wanted something with a little more bone breaking ability out of my 45/70 guide gun and the hopes to create two holes.

Anyway, just my two cents. Tony

Default Heavy 45-70 Bullets

Jae-Bok Yong makes excellent heavy cast bullets for the 45-70. They are very hard and have excellent penatration ability. I have loaded thier Crater Lite 420 gn bullets to 1800 fps and have had awsome termanal effect. They hold together and have full penatration. The link to the sight is as fallows: http://www.competitor-pistol.com/jbyoung.html Cast bullets of this and the Beartooth type can be pushed to jacketed bullet vellocity with little to no leading of the barrel and will not adversly effect your barrel.
    Train today to succeed tomarrow

US Army Miltary Police

Watch your speed ( Chronographs work great! )

Thumbs up 350gr Hardcast

I like the 350gr Hardcast FNGC @ 2000 fps with Reloader 7 in my Marlin.

Recoil not as bad as 400gr bullets and performance the same on game...with alittle flatter trajectory.

Default Question regarding your cast bullets

Just wondering, have you guy's actually dropped animals with your cast bullets? I would be interested in hearing how they performed with bone, etc. and did they exit out the other side? Not doubting your comments just wondering is all. Also, I would be very interested in any first hand experiences with brown bears and cast out of the 45/70. Thanks.

Thumbs up Bear

Always exited.....aim for for shoulder blade.....no lung shots with Hardcast,,,,because very little expansion. I use Reloader 7 @ 2000 FPS out of GG 45-70 with 350gr FNGC Hardcast Stoner bullets.

405gr kodiaks at 1900fps............hard to beat!

Barnes has a couple of 400 grainers.
    http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/rifle/original/

Steve

Default Great site for Marlin owners...

Tons of info on this website. I have a link to the 45-70 forum. Their are forums for all kinds of Marlins. Check it out.

http://www.marlinowners.com/board/vi...c92a7ddfea9c07
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.