Thread: new to the site, looking for insight

Default new to the site, looking for insight

I have a 1976 24' Fiberform Cuddy. I've done some extensive work to it in the last couple years. Has twin Volvo penta AQ130's, with 280 outdrives. I've had a hard time getting this thing up to the cruising speed in the manual. Any ideas? I did jump from 15knots to about 18knots. Currently running 10 inch props. Not sure of the pitch. Could find no numbers stamped on it and didn't know how to measure. It'll do 18 knots no matter what I have in the boat though, empty or completely loaded. Any help getting her dialed in would be nice. It's a little disheartening seeing 22 foot hardtop fiberform cuddy's claiming 20-22 knots with 1 AQ130.

Default Wot

There are a few things to consider when trying to figure out what prop is "perfect." One, what is your WOT RPM per the engine manufacturer? This is basically what you want, can't reach it you are overpropped, exceed your WOT RPM you are under propped. For me I swing a 24" wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBroncoII View Post
    I have a 1976 24' Fiberform Cuddy. I've done some extensive work to it in the last couple years. Has twin Volvo penta AQ130's, with 280 outdrives. I've had a hard time getting this thing up to the cruising speed in the manual. Any ideas? I did jump from 15knots to about 18knots. Currently running 10 inch props. Not sure of the pitch. Could find no numbers stamped on it and didn't know how to measure. It'll do 18 knots no matter what I have in the boat though, empty or completely loaded. Any help getting her dialed in would be nice. It's a little disheartening seeing 22 foot hardtop fiberform cuddy's claiming 20-22 knots with 1 AQ130.
    What RPM is this thing running at full throttle?

RPM reading is crucial at WOT as said. Also, what about tune-ups? Have the motors been serviced (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc, etc, etc,)? If everything's in order that way, try the Props/RPM readings. Also, while motors are shut off and keys out of ignitions, access your engine box and make sure that when someone else works the throttles, that you are not getting any binding in the throttle cables. Also make sure that the cables/throttles are working the carb (I think those models have carburetors) linkage to it's maximum potential. You could disconnect the throttle/cable linkage at the carb and work it manually to see actually how much travel on the linkage you have vs. how much the cable actually works it. This same principle would apply to fuel injected motors as well.
    Just seems that for a 24' boat and twins, if the motors were in great running order you should be getting more mph, like you've stated.
    Not sure if you can lube the cables.
    Jim

one motor is completely new, other has good compression and nothing wrong. Both have been converted to electronic ignition. Both outdrives rebuilt last year. Both get tuneup once a year. Cap, rotor, plugs, wires. Currently I run them both at around 3500-3650 cruising. That seems a little high to me. I'd like to get that down a hair and pick up some speed if possible. These engines have twin single barrel solex carbs. Both of the carbs run great and are timed. Have checked vacuum on both of them. 1 throttle cable was replaced last year. Other will probably get replaced this year. Both will rev to the moon if I let them. I don't know about RPM range, but I'd like to get more speed at the same RPM range if possible. Nothing mechanically wrong with either engine. With the electronic igntion both distributors were replaced completely.

Sorry, I meant 15" prop, not 10. That was a typo and I didn't know how to edit. Just not sure on the pitch.