Thread: Quickest way past Tanana on Yukon

Default Quickest way past Tanana on Yukon

Looking at doing a fall moose hunt on the Yukon down past Tanana. I drew a tag. What is the quickest and most efficient way to get down there..

Option #1-Put in at Nenana and take tanana river down to the yukon
    Option #2-Drive to Manley hot springs and put in there and take tanana down to yukon.

Option #3-Drive to yukon bridge and take yukon down past the tanana.

Any Advice....oh yeah...I will be running in a sportjon with a 200 Sport jet...2 guys....

Thanks

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by fk 107 View Post
    .....Any Advice....oh yeah...I will be running in a sportjon with a 200 Sport jet...2 guys....
    Shortest way is from Manley. The problem is that water levels in Manley Slough can be too low for props, the "launch" area into the Tanana near Manley is undeveloped and usually a mess, and Squaw Crossing at the lower Tanana can be tricky for props.

You don't have the prop troubles.........

We started using the Yukon Bridge launch, especially after the road got paved all the way because it was easier for prop driven boats.

The one time we launched at Nenana our trucks got vandalized. Never again.

I have parked in nenena for the last 2 years for different hunts and havent had a problem but have seen plenty of broken glass on the ground from other trucks being broken into.

I was kind of thinking that was why I see so many boats driving up to the yukon bridge. Approx. how many river miles down to tanana from the bridge?
    Any problems in manley with your trucks being broken into?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by fk 107 View Post
    ....Approx. how many river miles down to tanana from the bridge?...
    I can't remember for sure, but 95 miles seems to come to mind. I don't think it's over 125.

....Any problems in manley with your trucks being broken into?
    Nope. We parked in the grassy lot next to the roadhouse. I can't remember if we paid the roadhouse to park there or not.

No break in problems at the bridge, either, and we've used that lot for several years now.

This is the 1st year I won't be going as far. We've hunted in the Koyukuk region, but this time I applied for DM808 (between the Ruby-Poorman Road and the Nowitna drainage) and got the permit. My brother-in-law will drop me and my Zodiac Mk II off at Ham Island on his way to the Koyukuk. I'm going to hunt that area on the Yukon. Upon hunt completion I'll float down to Ruby or Galena (depending on air cargo opportunities) and fly everything out from there. If prices are too high, I'll just wait for my brother-in-law to come back through.

We wont be going to far past tanana either. I drew a an DM802 which is everything until the nowitna on both sides of the river. Dont know exactly where we are going yet. Got a party tag with my dad!

Thats good to know about manley. If the water is good, that sounds like the way to go for my boat. Still got lots of looking into it though...

Nenana - Longest and Toughest boat ride with the easiest and shortest Truck ride on paved hiway and decent boat launch.
    Yukon River - Easiest boat trip while being the 2nd longest of the 3 routes, 2nd longest truck ride but on good roads, a boat ramp that is normally good - Low water can make it tougher.
    Manley - Shortest boat trip by far, longest truck drive and the road can be very bad, launch in the slough with lots of weeds and tough getting in and out of the mouth or off a steep mud bank into the Tanana.

Best drive - Nenana
    Easiest boat ride - Yukon Bridge
    Most Efficient - Manley

Least wear and tear on vehicle, boat, and the peace of mind - Yukon Bridge

I have never had problems at any of the boat launches mentioned.

PM me if you have specific questions - I live in your area and I have made a lot of trips down the Tanana and the Yukon.

Pretty sure I GPS'd 110 miles from the bridge to Tanana. 4 hours is what it usually takes us and we have never had a problem leaving anything at the bridge. I always stayed away from the other spot as I have heard too many horror stories.

You drew a good tag. There is some sweet hunting spots in that unit on the N side of the Yukon.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by 375ultramag View Post
    Pretty sure I GPS'd 110 miles from the bridge to Tanana. 4 hours is what it usually takes us ........
    I found this. The Dalton Hwy is river mile 1012, and Tanana is 1152........140 miles.

Ruby is 1282 (270 miles from the bridge) and Galena is 1340........328 miles.

Default Chena to Nulato

When I went to Nulato from the Chena I figured 350 miles.

I wish I had that guide when I went down. Somewhere just before the Boneyard I was on the north bank and ran across a gravel bar. The resultant meeting of stone and aluminum was not pretty. I put to shore and tied the boat off. Let the dog out to pee. As I changed the prop he suddenly ran back, hackles up and stated growling at the woods. I finished as quick as possible and got out of there. He only growls at bears and moose. I wasn't going to wait to see which it was.

Great trip but heed the words of everybody.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I just checked my GPS from past trips. 108 miles the way I ran the river to Tanana from the bridge. It is a pretty easy trip down. Especially in a jet boat. Since you will be loaded set your alarm for 10ft of water. Thats what I did as I didn't want to unload crap on a sandbar to get it free if I did stick it.

Then I found the deeper channels. I did a bunch of zig zagging to learn it but it wasn't bad. When going down river and you hit the bouldar patch run toward your left side as all the bouldars are on the right. You will see your depth finder do wild stuff. Then hug the bank at the chute and run near the fish wheel at the bottom. I also pretty much stuck to the right channels going down around all the islands.

When you hit Tanana you need to cut accross from the gas dock to the other side of the river from Tanana and then run that island off the bank at the end of that island you need to shoot accross again to your right in the channel. this is the trickiest area I encountered all the way to Holy Cross. The rest is pretty easy to pick and choose your way. If you run in to Inland Barge he will give you clues as well. I would have Charlie's number with you from Inland barge in case you toast your boat and need to barge it out.

I have had to do that before as well.

Also the whole stretch of the Palisades you will run right up next to the cut bank all the way down. that is 50 ft water there.

At Rampart you will be on the otherside of the river as well.

Mark,
    Ham Island is native land. Thats what the Feds told me about five years ago when I was hunting that same permit. In fact alot of the land in that area is native land. You may want to camp on the north side of river. Good hunting in the slough, it gets hunted some by the locals out of Ruby. Your OK if you stay below high water mark.

Mileage off GPS

Bridge to Tanana is 130 miles
    Bridge to Ruby is 250 miles
    Bride to Galena is 300 miles

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya View Post
    Mark,
    Ham Island is native land. Thats what the Feds told me about five years ago when I was hunting that same permit.....
    Whoops! I checked the Doyon maps here and here. I didn't read them correctly the other day.

Looks like the entire area west of Hardluck Island is Native land. I guess I'll have to move back to the Hardluck Slough area.

....In fact alot of the land in that area is native land. You may want to camp on the north side of river....
    Did you hear that the north side isn't Native land?

Do you know if anybody is living at Horner Hot Springs?

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya View Post
    Mark,
    Ham Island is native land. Thats what the Feds told me about five years ago when I was hunting that same permit. In fact alot of the land in that area is native land. You may want to camp on the north side of river. Good hunting in the slough, it gets hunted some by the locals out of Ruby. Your OK if you stay below high water mark.

Mileage off GPS

Bridge to Tanana is 130 miles
    Bridge to Ruby is 250 miles
    Bride to Galena is 300 miles
    Those are the same mileage figures I have - You can subtract 60 miles by leaving from Manley but you have to contend with the lower Tanana, Manley boat ramps, and the Elliot hiway.

Thanks alot guys. A lot of great advice. It seems to make sense to drive to the bridge and boat from there. That road has only gotten better and better over the years. Is it paved all the way to the bridge yet? I was up it 2 summers ago and they were working hard and gettting it done.

Go to Doyon's website to find out what is private or not. That is your best way. I do know people that have been in trouble from the troopers for camping on Doyon Land

Just make sure you camp on state of Fed Land and your good.

Doyon won't give you the time of day either on permission so don't waste your time.

No one lives at Horner. It may even be hard to find unless you have been there before. There is a trail going up to Horner, but it may be difficult to find.
    Just upstream from the trail, right off the river is a fairly large meadow. Moose are occaisionally in that area. Across the river are the mouth of 2 slougs, June slough and Twin slough, both huntable if you get into them. The mouths are shallow.
    I have killed moose twice, back in the 80's at the lower end of hardluck slough. If the water level is low enough, there will be a large gravel bar at the mouth of hardluck. Hardluck is shallow and difficult to navigate with a boat. The mouth of hardluck, and the associated area across the river is a commen river crossing spot for moose supposedly.
    If you want to ship anything, even your boat, back to Anch. area, then Galena is the choice, over Ruby. I think Evert's flies to Gal. from Anch. NAC does not.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

For sure on the shipping Martentrapper.

You can ship out of Tanana as well but what the point really as your only 4 hours from the bridge.

The people that own the Tanana store are great. If you roll in after they are closed they live up stairs and will get you supplies if you need. Also there is a little house a church owns next to the store that you can sleep in on the floor if you need to. You just leave a tip for the kids that clean it. No furniture nothing but a roof but sometimes you need that in your bag of tricks.

Mark

Thanks for those tips, MT. I figured you'd comment.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    No one lives at Horner. It may even be hard to find unless you have been there before. There is a trail going up to Horner, but it may be difficult to find....
    The Doyon maps show it as Native land. I'll contact them to see if I can wander about and see what's there. No hunting, just looky-loo stuff.......I love historic places.

....I have killed moose twice, back in the 80's at the lower end of hardluck slough. If the water level is low enough, there will be a large gravel bar at the mouth of hardluck. Hardluck is shallow and difficult to navigate with a boat. The mouth of hardluck, and the associated area across the river is a commen river crossing spot for moose supposedly....
    We've had good luck there, too, even just as passing through. We took a 64 incher there, then as we were leaving after boning and packing the moose in wax boxes for shipping out of Galena, a black bear popped up.

He flew out of Galena, too............

....If you want to ship anything, even your boat, back to Anch. area, then Galena is the choice, over Ruby. I think Evert's flies to Gal. from Anch. NAC does not.
    Great tip. Thanks!

As I think of it more, I'm thinking I'll just wait for my brother-in-law to come back through from downstream and pick me up..........