Thread: Jet Canoe

Default Jet Canoe

Here's a pic of the jet canoe that I've been building. this is only the painted hull without the hardware attached or the amenities like seat covers and cargo cover.
    It's 15'6" long and 40" at the beam. Load capacity 650 lbs.
    The grand kids think it's the neatest thing since Barney.
    Last edited by brav01; 05-17-2008 at 16:03.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Interesting

Very interesting that is for sure. Id love to see some video or pics of it on step on the water. Let us know how it handles and all. Looks like a great project. Oh and let us know how is jumps out of the hole and gets on step. LOL
    Last edited by alaskachuck; 02-09-2008 at 17:55. Reason: more stuff
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Bravo,

What are you using for a power unit and pump?

Vern

Default so cool

That is a great project..
    We have got to hear more information..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default Plan

Plan to do thrust tests tommorrow, then I'll tell you what the power plant will be. Want to use a 6-9 hp, 4 stroke if at all possible for fuel economy. This is a prototype and I've never seen a successful jet driven canoe, YET.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

Nice looking rig...
    Is it spring yet????

Steve

Wink

Install a 115 hp jet unit out of a personal water craft and hang on.

Default Nope

Quote Originally Posted by Contender View Post
    Install a 115 hp jet unit out of a personal water craft and hang on.
    TOO much weight, a 115 hp PWC motor and pump are overly heavy for this size boat.Also, I believe this much power would be unsafe. I also believe that was supposed to be a joke, LOL. The power unit should weigh less than 65 lbs, in order to balance the boat and allow for freight in the canoe.
    But, the flat bottom will improve stability and increase maneuverability due to the sub keels on the bottom.

That's a cool rig. I have thought about building something very similar only about 20 feet long.

Here is the one I keep coming back to... http://www.common-sense-boats.com/columbia_canoe.htm

I would like to hear what you settle on for a power plant and jet unit.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    TOO much weight, a 115 hp PWC motor and pump are overly heavy for this size boat.Also, I believe this much power would be unsafe. I also believe that was supposed to be a joke, LOL. The power unit should weigh less than 65 lbs, in order to balance the boat and allow for freight in the canoe.
    But, the flat bottom will improve stability and increase maneuverability due to the sub keels on the bottom.
    That comment was tongue in cheek but on the other hand I have often thought that would make a heck of a lightweight rig for shallow water.

I know where you can pick up a 300 cc Kaw motor and jet if interested PM me.

Default Something about wooden boats

Very nice canoe, I've been toying with the idea of a creation like that only slightly larger for duck hunting. I sure would like to hear how your boat performs.

Mokaiman I sent you a pm.

Steve

Default jet canoes

I one saw 4 guys moose hunting with 20' grumman square sterns and 15 hp outboards with jet units. These rigs hauled the mail! I would have no problem running that setup if I had the chance.

Question jet canoe

Many folks on this forum run 15hp 2 strokes w/ a lift and prop on their 19' Grummans. I'm curious about the idea of a jet unit for the 15hp motors. Where can info on such a setup be found?

Default bravo1 done yet?

bravo1 - been quite a while since you posted anything about your canoe. Did you finish it and how about your maiden voyage?

Default Well

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    bravo1 - been quite a while since you posted anything about your canoe. Did you finish it and how about your maiden voyage?
    I have done a few thrust tests. But am not completely satisfied with the results.
    In order to have a baseline I took the 18lb thrust Minkota trolling motor off my bass boat and placed it on the je canoe. Then I tied the canoe to a spring scale like you weigh stuff with.
    This gave a performance baseline capable of pushing the canoe around under power. Then I engaged the jet unit and at full thrust it had 7 times the thrust of the (18lb thrust) Minkota.
    So far, this is the extent of the field tests. NO speed trials have been run yet. It hasn't had a maiden voyage yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Many folks on this forum run 15hp 2 strokes w/ a lift and prop on their 19' Grummans. I'm curious about the idea of a jet unit for the 15hp motors. Where can info on such a setup be found?
    don't know where to find out any info on this but I will tell you this... they were fast and they looked like a nice setup. If I had one of those canoes I would definitely try to find out more.

I think smallest jet unit they make is for a 25 hp powerhead, so about 15 at the pump

I've gotta agree w/Contender...alright, maybe not a 115 hp j-ski motor, but a j-ski motor and pump...mounted in a square stern canoe, trim-tab off the back. Easy enough to mount a "cataraft" pontoon or two as outrigger/s...Alaska back country tri-mirane (sp?). Anyways, been thinking about it myself, but am a littlt limited for resources and $ out here in Behtel...seems like everybodys' junk is made of gold...

Default Don't Do It

The hull on a canoe really isn't designed for use with a motor especially a jet/pump.
    A jet hull should have square chins, a flat bottom and a keel for straight running and navigation. These are not the standard configurations of a canoe.
    My boat was purpose built and has these traits incorporated into it's design. As well as 3 1/2" of rocker in the bottom.
    Attached Images Attached Images