Thread: Tolovana Hot Springs

Default Tolovana Hot Springs

I was wondering if anyone has ever went into Tolovana Hot Springs in the winter .any info on the trail would be great.

Default hit the library...

and find a copy of last month's Alaska Magazine...there was an article in that issue about some skiers who did that trip.

good luck!

I'm hiking in the weekend after next. Will post back about it afterward.

Default tolovana

was there last weekend but went in on snowmachines, quite a hike in the winter especially if there's lots of wind. trail is easy to follow though. I think I would rather ski it than hike it in the winter but good luck, that hot water will certainly feel good after that hike!!!!!

Actually we're snowshoeing it not hiking it - is there going to be enough snow? I'm in Calgary Canada at the moment so haven't really been following the Fairbanks weather patterns.

Default snowshoes

The trail is pretty well packed down from snowmachines except on top of tolovana dome where the snow drifts quite a bit, the trail is a little over 11 miles long and there is an emergency shelter on top of tolovana dome. the cabins are well stocked so that should help keep your pack load down. Enjoy......................

Tolovana was awesome, and we were even blessed with temps in the +20s while we were there. Although I question the distance in... my GPS, which tends to read about 20% high, showed it as 10 miles even. And we were able to burn it up in under 5 hours with packs.

Hey NorthernAlberta,
    Thanks for the info! I'm hiking it in two weeks and I've been told to anticipate a 16 hour hike - did you do it in 5 because you are super-human or do you think that it will take that long for a generally-fit-but-new-to-snow-shoeing group to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Saskie View Post
    Hey NorthernAlberta,
    Thanks for the info! I'm hiking it in two weeks and I've been told to anticipate a 16 hour hike - did you do it in 5 because you are super-human or do you think that it will take that long for a generally-fit-but-new-to-snow-shoeing group to do?
    Haha. Well there's a longer route into Tolovana, something like 26 miles, so if someone told you 16 hours on snowshoes or skis, I can only assume they're referring to that route. But if you take the mainstream 10 mile route in, assuming an average pace of 2 mph (reasonable even for beginners), you'll be there in 5 hours give or take. I made it into there in five hours with my girlfriend who's 5'2" and a stiff breeze would blow her over and she had a 30 pound pack. Of course she was saying things on the uphills that'd make a redneck blush.

Now of course that depends on weather... we had temps in the +20s and no wind and the snowmachine path was well beaten down. If it had snowed heavily or drifted over (possible with all that wind & exposure), then definitely it'll add some time, but barring extreme cases I can't see why it'd take you any longer than from morning till late afternoon.

There was a report in the logbook in the cabin of one couple who'd taken 2 days to get in on skis by the 10 mile route... but if you read their description, everything that could have gone wrong, went wrong for them.