Thread: Coghill River/Lake 08

Default Coghill River/Lake 08

I was hoping to gather some information for Coghill Lake and the surrounding area for late June. Im looking for some quiet fishing. Does Coghill offer an escape form the combat fishing ive heard so much about? How about the topography around the lake. Is it absolutely necessary to have a boat or kayak to reach other areas of the lake? And what kind of run can I expect towards the end of June?

Thanks for your help in advance,

Check the PWS gill net annoucements, when the reds are in I'm sure the drifters will be right up to the 150 fathom line.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Float plane into Coghill lake

Im actually going to float plane into the Coghill Lake cabin. Is most of the action at the inlet and bay? Any info on congestion up river or on the lake? How are mosquitos that time of year?

Thanks again for your reply.

Default No Combat there

Would concider calling Coghill any COMBAT fishing at all. Great place good fishing.
    Bugs oh my god!

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

i havent fished the lake but ran my jetboat up a ways and fished and camped. we had the area to ourselves except the black flies were horrible. not sure if they are that bad at the lake but on the river they are terrible. bring a head net.

Default Any luck?

Any luck on the river? Is it pretty accessable? Thanks for your help.

when i was there we didnt hit the run at the right time. we seen a few small schools swim by but they were in a hurry to get to the lake. the place you will want to be in the river is as close as you can get to the weir legally. the water is shallower so sight fishing will be available. never been to the lake though so not sure what kind of hike it is from the lake-cabin to the weir. quite a few black bears too so it wouldnt hurt to bring some bear spray.

http://alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/Sonar/coghill.html

here is a link to run timing good luck

When that ice comes out of the arm be careful
    P2200011.JPG

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default A Little info

Glaicier Ranger Booklet PDF
    Last edited by alaskapiranha; 04-27-2008 at 15:10.

Do most people anchor then take a raft or smaller boat to shore? I see on the map it's like a flat mud tidal area.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I fished the river about 4 years ago and you are correct Alaska Gray, it is pretty much a tidal flat, the fishing wasn't any good and the bugs were horrendous. We tried to run the skiff upriver but it was to shallow for a prop. Might have to try that again someday.

it is sketchy gettin in there but can be done at low or high tide with a jetboat. lots of flats and easy to get turned around until you get in the main channel. too bad the bugs cant be trained to lead a guy in. if i am to go back id probably try snagging at the mouth. less bugs and if you could find the ball of fish it would probably be more productive for me anyway. ive been going to main bay the last few years. less bugs and more action if you dont mind snagging your fish. ive seen guys anchor up and take a zodiac with a jet up in there. (coghill that is)

another thing to think about is reds rarely bite and its illegal to snag in the lake so the fishing in the lake for reds anyway is going to be slow going. unless the hike is worthwhile to the weir or if silvers run up in there lake fishing is goin to be slow i think. or maybe you could get a small boat to the outlet of the lake with some currrent you could drift some flies possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by akriverrat View Post
    it is sketchy gettin in there but can be done at low or high tide with a jetboat. lots of flats and easy to get turned around until you get in the main channel. too bad the bugs cant be trained to lead a guy in. if i am to go back id probably try snagging at the mouth. less bugs and if you could find the ball of fish it would probably be more productive for me anyway. ive been going to main bay the last few years. less bugs and more action if you dont mind snagging your fish. ive seen guys anchor up and take a zodiac with a jet up in there. (coghill that is)

another thing to think about is reds rarely bite and its illegal to snag in the lake so the fishing in the lake for reds anyway is going to be slow going. unless the hike is worthwhile to the weir or if silvers run up in there lake fishing is goin to be slow i think. or maybe you could get a small boat to the outlet of the lake with some currrent you could drift some flies possibly.

That is likely me. It is a fun trip.