Thread: Stream Fishing PWS

Default Stream Fishing PWS

Last year was my first year cruising and fishing Prince William Sound. We had some great saltwater fishing and had a magnificant Summer. I am a stream fisherman at heart and am looking for outlet streams to explore and fish in the Sound. We fished the creek in Pigot Bay, explored Eshamy creek (closes because of late run), and I am aware of the Coghill River. I was looking at the outlet stream in Jackpot Bay going up to Jackpot Lakes. Is this a fishable stream and does anyone have any experience in this area. Are their any other streams that are fishable within a weekend run out of Whittier? Primarily looking for reds or silvers but a good day catching and realeasing dollies is hard to beat. Have really tried to study my charts and maps and expect to keep paying my dues but any help would be appreciated.

pretty much every stream has pinks and dollies.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Just thought I'd try this again. I know there are a bunch of you PWS cruisers out there. Any information on the Jackpot drainage or any other fishable streams would be appreciated. Thanks

Default native silvers

As was stated above, almost any fresh water creek will have small runs of pinks. I never seem to get enough time to chase dollies, but I love it when I can.

Because the streams are short and spawning habitat relatively minimal in the Sound, you don't see big runs of other species. Something I try to avoid is hitting the few native coho runs too hard. There are a few small native runs that, I believe, are fragile. This is the reason for the 3 coho limit exept in terminal areas. We have tons of put and take hatchery fish, so I try to hammer those and leave the natives alone.

I went into Eshamy lagoon and hiked up to the lake in June before the red run started and we hammered the dollies and the cuts. Bead head on a 4 wt fly rod got the cuts, buddy with a small spinning rod 6# test and a silver Mepps wacked the dollies. Fish right in the log jam where the lake dumps into the creek.

Had a friend that floated the Jackpot years ago during Sept, said the silver run was great!! the floating was a little tough in the upper end he said the pilot that flew them in has long ago retired and he doesn't know if anyone else has the know how to land on the upper lakes, pretty tricky. I plan to go in and hike up from the lagoon and try for some dollies and cuts this year in June so I will let you know.

Default Dug this one up

while searching threads for Jackpot - we are thinking about camping in that area in late June this summer.....

Any more info on this bay?

Is it campable?
    Is there fly fishing for trout?
    Shirmp in the bay?
    How far to halibut holes?

Any info would be good - it is still winter - ..............

Default Jackpot bay

I am a fishing guide in PWS and know it like the back of my hand. There really is nothing special about Jack Pot area as far as fishing goes. Going up into 7 and 9 fathom hole is very nice, no special camping areas, low lands are swampy. Very few Silvers, and Dollys, snow can remain a month later than other parts of the sound, little hiking areas. Good fishing has been gone for years in that area. There are better areas than Jackpot for fishing, hiking. I take out clients so won't give away my spots, but I would go other places, as mentioned Eshamy is much better and Main Bay is just around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by old maverick View Post
    I went into Eshamy lagoon and hiked up to the lake in June before the red run started and we hammered the dollies and the cuts. Bead head on a 4 wt fly rod got the cuts, buddy with a small spinning rod 6# test and a silver Mepps wacked the dollies. Fish right in the log jam where the lake dumps into the creek.

Had a friend that floated the Jackpot years ago during Sept, said the silver run was great!! the floating was a little tough in the upper end he said the pilot that flew them in has long ago retired and he doesn't know if anyone else has the know how to land on the upper lakes, pretty tricky. I plan to go in and hike up from the lagoon and try for some dollies and cuts this year in June so I will let you know.
    +1 to all the Eshamy info. It's great fun on really light gear for the cutts. We'd caught a zillion reds in the lagoon, so we decided to hike up to the lake and give the cutthroats a try. Because of the salmon, there were lots of bears around (and they loved the Fish and Game weir which corralled all the fish for them). I did the classic move, too. I set my rifle against a tree, then walked out to the end of one of the logs on the log jam to fish. I turned around to check for bears, and sure enough there's a big old black bear standing right at the other end of my log, between me and my rifle. Luckily, he just checked me out and kept moving. The only way I could have gone would have been into the lake...lol.