Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: extended transom

Default extended transom

am going to the boat show this AM to look at a 22' hewescraft pacific sport ,they come stock with the extended transom, anyone regret having the extended transom?? have read a couple of threads withs guys that think they are a pain. right now i,m thinking it,s a good challenge for the guy driving to keep the fish to the side of the boat, but am looking for opinions, also plan on using the boat for abit of skiing at the lake, don,t know if thats a issue or not

I have a 20' Aurora sea skiff with the extended transum and would not have it any other way. In fact, I wouldn't purchase a boat without one. Provides more space for coolers, etc., especially when camping, and it also provides significantly easier access to the water (i.e. raft, cleaning fish, etc). Personally, I think the "issues" it creates when fishing are significantly over-stated. The benefit of the extension far exceeds the potential minor inconvenience during landing a fish.

Hope this helps - good luck.

I agree, I wouldn't own one of these boats without an extended transom. I've really only heard a couple people on here who dislike them and they have their own good reasons for the way that THEY like to use their boats. Personally, I would like the ET. I have three friends in town with 22' Hewes with the ET and they all swear by extra room. Besides, the ET actually makes it fairly easy to slide a big halibut onto vs pulling it over the rail.

You won't regret the ET. Love mine!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I have fished them all and here is a photo of my boat last week if that gives you an idea. I vote for the ET.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I posted this in another thread when the topic of extended transoms came up. You might've already read it. It is just my opinion for how I use my boat.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...7&postcount=49

I owned a Hewescraft Searunner without an ET. That is one of the reasons I decided to trade it for another boat. I love the ET. I also use mine for a little skiing and wake boarding. The ET is fine there also. Actually a little easier to get back on board.

The pros far outweight the cons . . . I love mine. In fact, I saw at the boat show I think the Fish Rite (beautiful boat BTW) had non-skid either paint or adhesive strips on his - have to think that one through, but when you're trying unwrap the braided fishing line your son wrapped in the props for the second time that day in four foot seas . . .

I'm thinking it might be a good idea . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Hotel View Post
    The pros far outweight the cons . . . I love mine. In fact, I saw at the boat show I think the Fish Rite (beautiful boat BTW) had non-skid either paint or adhesive strips on his - have to think that one through, but when you're trying unwrap the braided fishing line your son wrapped in the props for the second time that day in four foot seas . . .

I'm thinking it might be a good idea . . .
    It is sprayed on "Reflex" ~ the same stuff that Alaska Sales uses for bedliners.

Default drowning

dumb question but i gota ask if anyone ever had a following sea drown their motor , my only hang up is the motors seem to hang quite low, maybe i,m being too cautious just i,ve never had an outboard , I,ve always had the doghouse in my way and would love to get rid of it, my boat would probably seem 2' bigger without it they are a pain in the but

That would depend on the type of boat, style of extended transom, and outboard shaft length.

Almost all extended transoms I have experienced rely heavily on the outboard's cowl seal.

I'm not a fan of extended transoms, mainly for advantages when fishing, trolling, and beaching. I like knowing I have a double, full-height transom and my outboards are high, dry, and accessable. Plus I designed my boat with enough deck space for a town hall dance.

Just curious as to whether I'm missing something here. The motor on an extended transom doesn't/shouldn't sit any lower in the water than on a non-ET boat - it simply sits further back. For example, Hewescraft's Sea Runners and Ocean Pros are available in both versions and the motor bracket is as high on the ET bracket as it is on the non-ET bracket and the lower leg and prop sit in the same place relative to the bottom of the hull. Are there ET boats out there with brackets that sit lower? If not, I'm not sure how either would be different in a following sea?

Cheers, Ray

Thumbs up Just the facts

Here are some of the facts of a cantilevered engine transom or "CET".

1. A CET increases the length of your keel providing a smoother ride.

2. Longer Keel, longer boat, More lift, More plaining surface.

3. Increased plaining surface equals better efficiency, equals better fuel economy up to 28' after 28' it starts to produce more drag.

4. Increased flotation and the ability to carry more weight.

5. Engines are at the exact same hight for either a CET or conventional transom. (a 25" shaft is a 25" shaft) They are not closer to the water.

6. A CET deceases the ability to fish directly off the back a boat.

7. A CET hull will require a longer trailer.

8. A CET hull is more expensive to build.

9. A CET allows a builder to increase the boats side hight for a taller cockpit area.

10. A CET moves the engines farther from the cockpit area for an increased safety factor in case of fire.

These are some of the facts of the CET. For most people the pro's far out weigh the con's. For others the ability to fish directly off the back of the boat and other factors make the CET undesirable. You must look at your own pro and con list to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    You won't regret the ET. Love mine!
    Have to second that. makes life easier having one.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thanks Glacier Craft - that list certainly sums it up nicely! And as I don't fish off of the back of the boat, the pros definitely outweighed the cons for me.

Cheers, Ray

Quote Originally Posted by There and Back Again View Post
    Just curious as to whether I'm missing something here. The motor on an extended transom doesn't/shouldn't sit any lower in the water than on a non-ET boat - it simply sits further back. For example, Hewescraft's Sea Runners and Ocean Pros are available in both versions and the motor bracket is as high on the ET bracket as it is on the non-ET bracket and the lower leg and prop sit in the same place relative to the bottom of the hull. Are there ET boats out there with brackets that sit lower? If not, I'm not sure how either would be different in a following sea?

Cheers, Ray
    Hey Ray, maybe this will help. No boat sits, or runs, level. The stern will have less freeboard, and the bow will sit higher. This is, in part, due to the design of the way the hull "lifts" the boat, but also due to the rear weight of the propulsion.

An extended transom puts the weight of your outboards further back from the bow. This "cantilevers" the boat (tips the scales), causing the stern to sit even lower and the bow to rise more. As the stern sits lower, so do your outboards. It's much like adding weight to an extended length receiver hitch on your truck rather than throwing the weight in the bed over the axle. If you are still having problems understanding, imagine an exaggerated example of an extended transom 50' out there with twin 300's on it.

Weight distribution and balance is critical on a boat. Be aware that if the same exact Hewescraft is optioned with or without an ET, each version will be balanced completely different, and handle, completely different.

Glaciercraft made some great comments. But they hold true only to certain boats. Many of the same advantages of an extended transom can be achieved with a conventional transom by slightly increasing a boat's width. A wider boat displaces more water (planing surface), provides more lift, and generally provides better efficiency. A wider boat will provide more floatation and carry more weight. Width allows for increased stability, and a higher center of gravity for things like taller cabins and cockpits. Increased width has several other advantages like unsurpassed manners in rough and confused seas, large deck and cabin areas, easier access to your outboards, and not having to fishing over an extended transom. I always ecourage boat buyers to purchase a boat with the widest beam and largest beam-to-length ratio they can stand.

I designed my boat 22 1/2' X 9 1/2' to specifically eliminate an ET. I got everything the ET had to offer, and more. But that's what I wanted...your mileage may vary.

thanks for the insight Big Water ---I get your theory about the cantilever -- so are you saying that if I,m going along fairly level and then go to climb a trough as the bow climbs it will force the outboards down untill they catch up and are up on the trough.--- hope they don,t go down too far --may need a snorkle so they can breathe --what about when you go over top of the trough are they going to be spinning air? interesting -- obviously when its that rough i shouldn,t be out there -- but s--- happens.

I'm not sure I understand that scenario completely. My experiene is that outboards on an extended transom are subject to a following sea more than an outboard directly attached to the main hull. My main beef with extended transoms isn't necessarily while running, but rather when trolling, anchored, or backing up on a fish. They can really take a bath.

well good you had me worried for a second there , i guess it comes down to the driver keeping you on the fish properly. I guess ther is enough of the ET out there that i will probably join em

Thumbs up CET facts

BW,
    Very good points. The cantilevered effect that you speak of will only take place on a CET that has no bottom, or better yet the bottom of the boat is not continued the full length of the CET. Where as if a CET has a full length bottom it will perform the same as any given boat of that length. Example; 25' boat with a 3' CET full length bottom, vs 28' boat conventional transom. The motor hight out of water will be the same. You are essentially building a 28' hull.

Quote Originally Posted by staying alive View Post
    thanks for the insight Big Water ---I get your theory about the cantilever -- so are you saying that if I,m going along fairly level and then go to climb a trough as the bow climbs it will force the outboards down untill they catch up and are up on the trough.--- hope they don,t go down too far --may need a snorkle so they can breathe --what about when you go over top of the trough are they going to be spinning air? interesting -- obviously when its that rough i shouldn,t be out there -- but s--- happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast