Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzlies On Rivers

Default Grizzlies On Rivers

Grizzlies on rivers put managers on edge
    PREVENTION: The Forest Service is stepping up regulation on the Kenai and Russian.

<copyrighted material removed by webmaster. See policy.>

Craig Medred: Anchorage Daily News, 6/26/06
    Last edited by Webmaster; 03-27-2007 at 08:54. Reason: Removed copyrighted material

Here's a youTUBE clip from the confluence of the Russian and Kenai.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxxXAvt8l3U

Looks like these critters are being conditioned for an easy meal.

Too bad 'cause the outcome is eventually the same in virtually all cases... dead bear.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone."
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I find it ironic that I am encouraged to hunt for bears in some areas (predatory areas without even needing a tag) and in some areas I would be punished for shooting a bear to protect my life.

Its unfortunate about the confluenece situation and the bears being present with all the people encouraged to go fishing on the KP by the tourism advocates at the same time.

I am simply glad I can still open carry my firearm.

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Last summer will be the LAST summer I fish the confluence itself, at least until the current situation is resolved, one way or another.

The lack of education I saw there last year had my hair standing on end and a certain part of my anatomy puckered up tighter than a snare drum.

People throwing rocks at the bears to protect "their hole"..Small/Young children approaching the bears, and when the bears came closer, the kids would turn and run screaming back towards the crowd of gawkers...People leaving fish/food/packs laying in plain sight as they backed off from the approaching bears...People approaching within feet of the bears to get "that" picture, and ignoring both the bears demeanor and their own encroachment into it's range...

It's not a matter of "if" but "when" the feces is gonna hit the fan there..And sadly the bears will be made out to look like the villains...
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I too will no younger be fishing the confluence for the reasons Hippie mentioned plus the crowds nor will I take any of my out of state guests down there no mater how much they beg and plead. It's the people down there that need a good educating about bears and if that don't work a good arss kickin' would do some of them some good too.

Just one Alaskans opinion
    Rick P

The forest service needs to be out at the confluence with rubber buckshot and ben bags shooting every bear they see, give it a month or so and no more bear problem. Of course that would make tourists mad but a hazed bear is better than a dead bear.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Apm...

you had me all the way until you said the rubber buckshot and bean bags....were for the bears and NOT the tourists!!

just kidding...somewhat.

Default ya right..

So instead of being in close proximity to hungry, curious bears, we go ahead and change that to angry, adrenalized, and frightened bears?

I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    The forest service needs to be out at the confluence with rubber buckshot and ben bags shooting every bear they see, give it a month or so and no more bear problem. Of course that would make tourists mad but a hazed bear is better than a dead bear.
    Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

I think Flintlock is right on....we can educate the fishermen a lot easier than we can teach the bears..... maybe cubpilot should follow up on his thought........

c'mon I was just joking!

I'll just follow up by saying this. I personally will not, CANNOT fish amongst hordes of people regardless if they are tourists, relatives etc.. I have absolutely NO problem fishing amongst bears, as they are far more predictable and even tempered than say the average Willow Creek angler in the heart of King season. Seriously, you must understand that being a wild animal they are without morals as we are. Some of us anyway. They are driven by instincive needs such as food and sex. If you give them their space, dont leave garbage, food , blood and guts, anything that might appeal to a large carnivore laying around you might not have to leave your favorite fishing spot. But then again, you might. I have done this on many occasions and will again. Im happy to share a fishing hole with someone who doesnt talk too much.
    Last edited by cubpilot; 03-27-2007 at 19:23. Reason: spelling

Default cubpilot

And the bear might not crowd you, cast over your line and tangle them.

Default fishlakehome...

Bingo! we should start a list. Why fishing with bears is better than fishing with people.....

1. Bears dont b*tch about bologna sandwiches with MAYO

2. Bears dont use up all your toilet paper.

3. gut piles are a "bonus"

you get my drift...

They dont whine about having to pee in the bushes.

Theres no arguement about who gets the last beer.

If you get hung up they dont complain about you actually taking the time to walk upstream.

They dont ask to borrow your bug spray.

Default Confluence

Been here since 89, stopped fishing the confluence in 91. Just couldn't stand the gobs of, pardon me, rude, inconsiderate twits. Saying combat fishing might sound cute, but it isn't. There were no real bear problems then, as memory serves. There are lots of fishing places where you can get back to what it should be. Might take a little more effort then pulling off into a parking lot, but hey, since when do people come to Alaska to have it easier? Oops, this is the 21st century isn't it, and I get my permanent license next month. Sigh....

Quote Originally Posted by gusdog44 View Post
    I think Flintlock is right on....we can educate the fishermen a lot easier than we can teach the bears..........

Keep in mind many of these "fisherman" don't know a dolly from a sockeye (Let's not get into how many NICE rainbows I've seen counted in the salmon limit on a stringer at the Russian), and who think the "hike" from the ferry landing to the guardrail hole is a "2 beers" trek...."Hold my *BELCH* shotgun Joe-Bob while ah fetch me a beer outt da kewler"..

...Might wanna rethink the bears being the harder one's to educate...<grin>

I can remember when the campground at the Russian had an old metal garbage can at the end of each individual campsite (Not a dumpster to be seen), I recall a few times in the 70's (Back when most of the "combatants" where Alaskans) when the campground was closed due to too many bears in the campground area.

I see the benefit in educating both sides, the bruins and the people. I know the local economy down there would take a hit, but once the bears show back up (looks like we have TWO sets of orphaned twins to contend with this year btw), perhaps a closure from the highway bridge down past Little Germany would be in order. During the closure break out the rubber bullets and beanbag rounds, fill a few ice chests full of cayenne pepper and rig it to blast em when the bears touch it, blast foghorns till the cows come home, in general make the confluence as undesirable for bears as possible, make the bears know that looking to people for food SUCKS (Personally I think the numbers in that drainage alone should justify a special hunt for population control alone, but thats a different forum).

On the flip side, maybe it is time to ENFORCE some strict guidelines on people as well. A mandatory 30-45 minute "Bear country orientation" clinic that anyone who fishes there must attend, and provide proof of (sticker on the back of fishing license maybe?). And this is just for the RESIDENTS.

NON-Residents should be required to attend at least 90 minutes of orientation, complete with coroner photo's/hospital pictures of what a "cute lil' bear is truly capable of (maybe we can buy a copy of Timmy Treadwells final opus to play for em as background audio).

Harsher penalties for breaking the rules (loss of fishing license for the remainder of the season sounds good at minimum) in regards to safe bear country etiquette (coolers/food left out/un-attended, fish left out of reach while fishing, approachin a bear within a set distance, etc.) would help, coupled with fines (especially for those on a 1,3 or 7 day license) relevant to the severity of the infraction.

Put some teeth into BOTH lesson plans. Make it hurt to screw up on BOTH sides of the issue. And maybe we can get the "combat" zone back to where the biggest problem doesn't involve a medivac and a scalp re-attachment....Or anymore orphaned cubs that decide people are an easy score for munchies...

/rant
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

AlaskaHippie;

I think your avatar is over his limit? I seen him bring in a lot of salmon!

TSS

He's fishin a proxy....

heheh

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    He's fishin a proxy....

heheh
    Just given ya a friendly reminder to make sure he checks the regs so he don't get a ticket.

Default ???????????/

PREVENTION: The Forest Service is stepping up regulation on the Kenai and Russian.

so what are the new regs????????
    where can i find the info?????????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast