Thread: Interior Grizzly Outfitter

Default Interior Grizzly Outfitter

Hey All,
    I am newly registered but I have spent some time surfing & searching this site (I hope I didn’t miss where this was asked recently).
    I want to hunt Interior Alaskan Grizzly with an outfitter in 09 or 2010 & am hoping for a few good outfitter or area recommendations.
    Of coarse, I want to hunt a area with a good population of mature Grizzly but what is most important is the color phase…….., I want hunt a area that has a history of Grizz with the dark chocolate legs with the hide lighting up the higher up the body it goes to an almost blond on the back bone. I’ve heard the term “Toklat Grizzly” but am not sure is that describing the area or the color phase.
    What is the best time of year to hunt, spring or fall? I’ve heard that spring can be dicey because of the snow pack (too much or not enough). If I go in the Fall what are the best dates? The first week of September or first week of October? Or when in between? The color phase means nothing without a well furred hide (or is it pelt?) The option of a Caribou or Black Bear would definitely be a plus.
    I am hoping for a scenic, colorful and rewarding Alaskan adventure.
    Any suggestions?

no offense....but ohh geeez. i'm a guide in interior and i've had clients call me up with a shopping list real simialar to yours. I'll tell you this, when it comes to grizzly you'll get all different variations of color, no one keeps track of what color bears come from where or how many of them were mature...(also depends on defiention of mature), spring bears don't typically have the color phases that sept on bears do, i like the whole month of sept for good hides, oct you loose alot of daylight interior as opposed to coastal, and you'll be getting quiet a bit of snow up high and it'll be COLD. Sept to me is the best fo overal grizzly/black bear hunting. Both have great hides and both are fairly easy to spot if they are out and about.
    If your looking for a great hunt and a rewarding experience, no matter the outfitter you go with, your attitude and expections will make or break the trip.
    Meaning...you can have the greatest outfitter in the state with the best record, the "best" area, most happy clients and so on, but if you expect things of his area that aren't realistic you'll be disapointed every time, he may be thrilled to show you 20 different bears in the seven foot range and love them all, but you wanted an 8'er....dispointed.
    You may hunt for 15 days and see one bear and the outfitter will jump up and say "this is the moment we've waited for!", you thought you should see half dozen bears a day and have the chance to pass up on at least 3-6 "mature" bears before you picked one...attitude and expections....disapointment.
    Research this like you are now, get some solid info and start with a base of a realistic expection of a grizzly hunt, figure most will have a success rate in the 70-80 percent range, most will average 7-8 foot bears, with a few exceptions. But also make note, if they wanna sell you a hunt, they'll tell you excatly what you need to hear. So if you find someone that things sound almost TO good to be true.....I'd personally rather book with a guy who said, well last year we blew a couple stalks and a few guys when home flamin' mad, but thats hunting. than with a guy who said, we were 100 percent, most hunts only last 3-5 days, should see around 10-20 bears on your trip, and we get toklat bears just about every trip out.
    Good luck, pm me with you want to get into more detail about some questions to ask outfitters coming from a guides perspective. best of luck...hang on for some fun!!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default So true

Right on the spot BRWNBR, even those lived in the wild all their lives rarely get a chance to take a trophy class bear.

Thumbs up aint that the truth

well said Jake

Mark

Default Well stated!

Hmmm...very Interesting, here's my order for this year:

40" or better Dall Sheep
    9.5" or better Goat (waiting for me at sea level)
    8ft. or better interior Griz

Hope thats not asking for much.

Default FUN

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Hmmm...very Interesting, here's my order for this year:

40" or better Dall Sheep
    9.5" or better Goat (waiting for me at sea level)
    8ft. or better interior Griz

Hope thats not asking for much.
    I'll take the 42" sheep, a 9.5" goat (both at sea level), and a side of wolverine
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Guide recommendation

High5,

For starters, welcome to Outdoors Directory! I see that is your first post here. Well, you are in the right place for the information you seek.

If you are looking for a guide, Jake Jefferson <BRWNBR> comes well recommended. I don't know him personally, but his advice is usually spot on, and he has had pretty good success.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Ok……. Fair enough! I acknowledge that I am not asking this question to a booking agent or an outfitter at a booth at a hunting convention.
    I still feel like I have come to the right place.......
    Brwnbr, even though you put me in my place you did provide with some useful information. I know now that I want to come in September……. And I know that 70-80 percent success is what I should expect. As far as color phases I assumed that there were units or areas…… maybe the tundra? Where, toklats are common. Kind a like, I know there are areas in Canada that have up to 50&#37; color phases in black bears or I know there is one area in AK to target if you are looking of a Glacier bear.
    I though there were areas in AK that had too many Grizzlies……, that the AK F&G or outfitters want them thinned out for one reason or another. Am I wrong?
    I also sent you a PM Brwnbr.

Thanks, Michael........ I see you chimed in while I was writing. That's the kind of info I am hoping for.

Virgil Umphenour has a pretty good spring hunt in unit 22 out of Unalakleet. There are bears like you describe in unit 22 area.
    Also Bob Hannon in Koyuk has pretty good success and regular takes B&C griz. I believe one of his clients still holds the B&C griz #1 record, which is in a tie with 2 other bears. Snowmobile hunts in western alaska in the spring are a blast.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Bear

www.alaskahorsebackguides.com. These guys are telling you how it is, 2 bears spotted in one day is tops. I gave you a link to a guy I have hunted with, I did kill a 8'6" bear in the color phase you are looking for, however, I was lucky. I killed 2 60"+ bulls with this guy and the one bear, we typicaly had a chance at a bear every 3 days. Remember all color phase are fantastic in there own, I have seen some great silver tips in this guys area I would give a right arm to tag, a blonde, and several deep chocolates. Good luck and good hunting.

I would reccomend Tom Gray out of White Mountain; he has a great track record on B&C class grizzly bears. Toklat color phase is fairly typical for that area of the Seward peninsula.