Thread: Talkeetna to Gold Creek Trail...

Default Talkeetna to Gold Creek Trail...

anyone know if the trail outa talkeetna that parrells the train tracks goes as far as gold creek?
    Also has anyone rode up clear creek? looking to see how the ice conditions/open water conditions are.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    anyone know if the trail outa talkeetna that parrells the train tracks goes as far as gold creek?
    Also has anyone rode up clear creek? looking to see how the ice conditions/open water conditions are.
    I'm fairly sure the answer to number one is no unless something has recently changed (and I don't think it has).

Don't know about # 2.

No, you cannot ride the tracks from Talkeetna to Gold Creek legally. Lord knows it's been done by some of us, but the railroad is super sticky about this and has been for years. To get through many of the areas you have to ride down the middle of the tracks. I have done the trip several times by running up the Susitna, and once by running along the top of Kesugi Ridge on the west side of the river and then crossing over. Neither trip is for the faint of heart and river running can be extremely dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

You can also get to Gold Creek by riding the Sustina to Curry, climbing up the ridge on the railroad's road to the top then running above treeline to Gold Creek.

River conditions going up to Clear Creek are fine, it's been well travelled like always.

well we took the overland trail to chase, then the river to curry and up the old road till it got to steep to break trail, and ran the river back to chase. fun ride but alot of snow once you start breaking trail up in there.

Clear creek, do people run right up the actual creek or are you refering to the clear creek trail thats goes from the gravel pit to the creek, east bound i guess you'd say?
    Master guide 212

You get to the mouth of Clear Creek by running up the Talkeetna River.

You get to the middle of Clear Creek above the canyon on Clear Creek by running the trail east out of the gravel pit. You can then go upstream to about Bacon Creek if the conditions are right.

There are other ways, but they are local knowledge

Sending you a PM.

You get to the mouth of Clear Creek by running up the Talkeetna River.

You get to the middle of Clear Creek above the canyon on Clear Creek by running the trail east out of the gravel pit. You can then go upstream to about Bacon Creek if the conditions are right.

There are other ways, but they are local knowledge

Sending you a PM.

Arghh!!!! dang computer jambed up..double post and I can't send a PM for some reason. I'll send you something tonight.

Bacon creek huh...hummm i like the sound of that i'm guessing the local knowledge above bacon creek might include the four wheeler trail...? lol
    i wondered if the clear creek trail from teh gravel pit would drop you onto the river, i shoulda kept beating myself sensless and drove it the rest of the way to find out. thanks for the pm...
    Master guide 212