Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buy, Sell and Trade Idea!

Default Buy, Sell and Trade Idea!

I wish there was a way to rate your experience with someone on the BST forum, like Ebay? Can we implement something like that?

Also, I think we should make it mandatory to have at least 100-200? posts before you can post something in the BST forum. Im sick of dealing with new people who post something and then disappear....You know of course they have sold the item and Im sure AODD never gets their portion! If we cant rate them lets at least make it a post limit to post something in the swap and Sell!

"In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    I wish there was a way to rate your experience with someone on the BST forum, like Ebay? Can we implement something like that?

Also, I think we should make it mandatory to have at least 100-200? posts before you can post something in the BST forum. Im sick of dealing with new people who post something and then disappear....You know of course they have sold the item and Im sure AODD never gets their portion! If we cant rate them lets at least make it a post limit to post something in the swap and Sell!

I've seen other sites with a BST utilize a sticky at the top of the page for buyer/seller feedback (good and bad)...Might be an option, eh?
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Im sick of dealing with new people who post something and then disappear....

Then don't deal with anybody that has not met with your approval as far as number of post are concerned.

You will never make an honest person out of a thief. If they would steal money away from David by selling on his forums, then they would probably be the same person that would go into a gas station and drive away without paying. You have good and bad every where in life. They have no remorse for stealing. They are just a common thief.

Allen,

You could have simply said, Your idea stinks!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

I think it's an interesting idea, but the problem is that it would turn us into referees. When someone posts negative feedback about a user, the other person would probably protest that the story isn't accurate. That would put us into the position of mediating disagreements without any information to base it on.

The minimum post count idea may have merit, but in that case we'd lose a number of the items that are posted which may be of interest to our members. I'll run this one by David.

I do think the swap and sell should be a privilege and to earn that you need so many posts. I know, I could easily ignore the posters that have a low number. But come on, how many of us see something we have been looking for and ignored the post?.....I personally think having had a few posts in and around the board would give someone a bit more credibility than someone who is a "new member".....

You have a point on the feedback idea! It could get ugly...

I do think the swap and sell should be a privilege and to earn that you need so many posts. I know, I could easily ignore the posters that have a low number. But come on, how many of us see something we have been looking for and ignored the post?.....I personally think having had a few posts in and around the board would give someone a bit more credibility than someone who is a "new member".....

You have a point on the feedback idea! It could get ugly...
    I agree with you on this Huntress, it is truely annoying. Going through it as we speak, here.

That's why I asked about the post count in that thread counting or not...which got turned into drinking beer somehow. I have seen one "member" specifically post several times in the BST with "0" posts. I have yet to see them post in another thread. Personally, I wouldn't buy from them because they have "0" posts. They are just here to sell their stuff and not contribute to the forum. If they had even 50 posts, I would consider buying from them. Anyway, that's my .02 worth.
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

I also think anything over 60 days old should be deleted. Swap and Sell is becoming pretty cluttered!

From my point of view, deleting the old threads is a waste of moderator time. If it's old, it'll be moved off the first few pages. Since the posts are sorted by age, you automatically get the recent stuff first. Deleting a thread takes at least 30-60 seconds based on internet speed, so deleting the 30+ swap and sell threads per day that are older than 60 days would just be a drain on the time of a moderator who could be better serving the forum community in other ways.

Don't mean to keep railing against your ideas, Huntress! Just giving you a glimpse into how things go behind the scenes. Keep the suggestions coming!

The old threads do hold some value...checking past prices for similar items and other such "research"

Huntress,
    Thanks for the ideas. Gotta agree with Brian though. <smile>
    Maybe we could have some sort of "# of items sold" nomenclature next to the seller's name. It could give a feel for that sellers prior use of the SnS forum....
    Obviously its a benign system (no up or down feedback) but an indicator of prior use nonetheless....It lets folks know that this person has sold here before.
    Thoughts?

on another forum (fullsizechevy.com) I'm on, you have to have a 50 post minimum to participate in the BST section of the forum. Additionally, posts in the general discussion section have no merit toward your post count, only posts related to FSC topics....

I was wondering if there was a follow up on the swap and sell forum having a minimum amount of posts. I don't think thats a lot to ask for. A great example is something that happened tonight. A "new member" posting over the top of my ad, in my own listing!

Is Admin ready to implement a mandatory 50 posts yet for the Swap and Sell? I'm about done with these rude new folks who come on here, post, sell and just leave or make rude comments when asked a simple question. I still think it should be a privilege to use Swap and Sell. How do we know that these folks are credible if they haven't built a reputation?

Honestly huntress, that's a conversation that you would have to have with David. This site costs money to maintain, and the revenue from the swap and sell forum is a part of why this site is able to exist. If we were to restrict it to those with 50 posts, I'm certain that it would mean a very real revenue loss to David. He doesn't run this site with dollar signs in his eyes, but there are financial realities to it as well.

Whats wrong with having normalcy in our for sale post's then. Require description, price, phone/email. Make sure these are met or you don't post? Also when rude behavior is encountered we should report to the admin and if it is more than 1 or 2 complaints then that IP address should be banned.

The ones who truly want to post, sell and pay will have something to contribute to the forum as a whole. 50 posts is really not that hard to obtain. Hope David reads this as well as the recent posting by one of the treasured new members...

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskantrapper View Post
    Also when rude behavior is encountered we should report to the admin and if it is more than 1 or 2 complaints then that IP address should be banned.
    Agreed - pleasse report such behavior to us.

Smile BST rules

Is Admin ready to implement a mandatory 50 posts yet for the Swap and Sell? I'm about done with these rude new folks who come on here, post, sell and just leave or make rude comments when asked a simple question. I still think it should be a privilege to use Swap and Sell. How do we know that these folks are credible if they haven't built a reputation?

I am a relatively new member to the forum. I read the forum almost daily. I have a lot to learn about fishing in Alaska and I appreciate the willingness of forum members who have shared their knowledge. I have also appreciated the profound insights and knee slapping humor shared here. I am a professional person, I am trustworthy and hope to be a valuable contributing member to the forum. I have made several purchases on the BST forum, but to date I have only 45 posts, thus would not yet qualify to participate on the BST forum. I have posted some things for sale, but no takers at this time. Just my 2cents.
    NRA Lifetime Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast