Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Built Crab Pot Puller

Default Home Built Crab Pot Puller

Has anyone ever built a homemade crab pot puller? I really don't have the money to buy one, so I would like to know what you all have done. I looked at the electric motor kits (to add to my own welded arm), but those are still around $700 from what I've seen!

I have a 16' welded skiff with wood floor boards. Could I bolt something to the floor, or would that rip off with the weight? I would mainly be pulling a line with 2 shrimp pots, and a king crab pot now and then. With 600' feet of line for shimp pots, I really don't want to do that by hand!

Thanks!

Thumbs up Suggestions.

The weight of a full crab pot will definitely rip out of your wood floor.
    Find yourself an 8' section of Schedule 80 pipe 2" or larger. Bend it or have it bent. Reinforce it with a 3" x .25" flat bar on edge the entire length. Drill holes in the flat bar for a pulley, now your good to go on the davit arm. the Davit receiver must have a slightly larger inside diameter than the outside diameter of your arm. cut it to length from your deck to your gunwale. Weld a piece of .25 plate to the bottom at least 24"x 24" square. Weld another piece at the top to act as a gusset. Finlay either bolt this to the deck and to your gunwale or weld it to your gunwale and you should be good to go. Make sure that your gunwale has sufficient strength to support the cantilevered weight you plan to lift. this is of course just a brief description and is only a guideline.

Before I bought my pot puller, I used to use a buoy and an anchor ring to pull my shrimp baskets. B&J sells a claw that ties into your rope and will grab the anchor ring so the baskets will go to the bottom as you retrieve the rope and the baskets. This system worked well for me for quite a few years. This was far cheaper than buying a pot puller.

Quote Originally Posted by bdanderson View Post
    Before I bought my pot puller, I used to use a buoy and an anchor ring to pull my shrimp baskets. B&J sells a claw that ties into your rope and will grab the anchor ring so the baskets will go to the bottom as you retrieve the rope and the baskets. This system worked well for me for quite a few years. This was far cheaper than buying a pot puller.

Do you know the name of the hook? I live in Juneau, so I'll have to find one here.

Also, did you pull up 600' feet of line with this method? Does it come up pretty quick?

If your gunnels or stern are strong, you can get a puller that mounts to a downrigger base and plugs into a 12V downrigger socket. These pullers have enough power to tip your 16' boat over. The downrigger base is extremely strong. I have the Ace Line Hauler mounted to my gunnel, and it pulls several pots at once no problem. I'm into the whole puller set up for under $500 (I bought the puller on-line, but can't remember where). I've been using it for years without a single issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger01 View Post
    Do you know the name of the hook? I live in Juneau, so I'll have to find one here.

Also, did you pull up 600' feet of line with this method? Does it come up pretty quick?
    I have pulled a number of king crab pots in Juneau with the buoy system. It is just an anchor puller. It works well for single king crab pots. The only problem can sometimes be the number of other pots around you. You need to determine what path you will pull it up from so that you do not tangle other pots. It works pretty quick. We pulled them with a 16' open skiff in winter. Kind of chilly. We also pulled them with a 22' Bayliner during the summer/fall. It beats pulling by hand.

I use a homemade version of this device:

http://www.ironwoodpacific.com/produ...anchorlift.htm

The rope goes through it one-way, much like a climber's ascender. You just hook this device to a buoy large enough to float the anchor, or in your case, a full pot. Run the line through it, tie off to the boat and drive away. The drag on the buoy allows the line to pull through and next thing you know your anchor is at the surface. You must still bring in all the line by hand at this point and then you've still got to lift the anchor (or pot) from the water and into the boat.

In Cook Inlet, we pull a couple hundred feet of anchor line to the surface in less than a minute.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Thanks for the ideas. Although it would be nice to have a pot puller, I think I'll give the anchor lift system a try.

I have used the bouy to pull my pots. I have seen a trail of shrimp behind it as well. It will work but you lose a lot of shrimp. If you are going to do it on a regular basis, get the puller, or bring friends and have them pull. The last seems to only be good for one trip. LOL. I'm going to buy a ACE puller this season, no more POPEYE arms for me. Also the anchor bouy don't like splices in the rope.

The shrimp are worth the gear.

Steve

Ben Crew built a really nice davit for my boat here. It's 1 1/2 inch schedule 80 pipe slipped inside 2" SC 80, bent together, and mounted in a 2 1/2" socket that is bolted through my deck, to the cap rail, and through a glassed box that houses my fuel fill hose. It is stout! The whole davit ran about $650, motor was seperate. I can lift a four wheeler with this davit and I snapped a 2500 # groundline without trying. The bottom of the socket is bolted through the deck with a matching plate on the underside of the deck. The davit sits on top of a UHMW disk to make rotation smooth as silk. I love this setup.

Obviously you wouln't put a davit like this in a 16 foot skiff, but maybe the photos will give you an idea how you might mount and brace it in your boat. I think if you just bolted it to your wooden floorboards, it would rip out. Maybe with a little fabrication and ingenuity you could mount / weld some sort of base for an electric hauler. Someone had a pot puller on the Swap and Sell forum a while back. It might have been Spoiled One. Some of them plug into an electric downrigger receptable and mount right on the downrigger base like big water said. Pulling them with the buoy system gets old really fast, pulling them by hand is even worse. I finally buckled down and spent money for a davit and hydraulic puller last year and I'm glad I did.

Ace Line Hauler for $500, right up your alley. If you can't get this one, there are others on ebay new for $600.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brutus-Ace-Line-...QQcmdZViewItem

Default Broke a line with the bouy...

I bought a ACE puller this year. I used the bouy system forever, with the black plastic anchor lock, its just a bolt in a tub that slides back on the rope if its pulled the other way. Actually snapped a leaded line last summer going to fast, but the bouy lock kept the line where it should be and we didn't lose anything. SLOW AND STEADY, don't go to fast or you can break the line.

Quote Originally Posted by bdanderson View Post
    This works okay, but will work better IF you add a bucket to your anchor pulling ring. This will create drag eliminating the need to pull the pots up fast, like on step. The trail of shrimp left behind, that stid mentioned is kept to a minimum. Once you use a puller you will never go back.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    This works okay, but will work better IF you add a bucket to your anchor pulling ring. This will create drag eliminating the need to pull the pots up fast, like on step. The trail of shrimp left behind, that stid mentioned is kept to a minimum. Once you use a puller you will never go back.

I would have never thought of using a bucket--makes sense! I'll give that a try, and thanks for the tip!

Has anyone ever built a homemade crab pot puller? I really don't have the money to buy one, so I would like to know what you all have done. I looked at the electric motor kits (to add to my own welded arm), but those are still around $700 from what I've seen!

I have a 16' welded skiff with wood floor boards. Could I bolt something to the floor, or would that rip off with the weight? I would mainly be pulling a line with 2 shrimp pots, and a king crab pot now and then. With 600' feet of line for shimp pots, I really don't want to do that by hand!

Thanks!
    Ruger,
    I've built more than a couple of haulers in my time. If your somewhat handy i bet you could rig something up with a car starter motor and a small gearbox to slow it down and make it pull harder. What type of floor stringers or beams do you have to support your deck? I'd bolt/weld in my hauler supports to the beams or stringers for strength. Don't go with a high tall style davit, you don't need it, all it does is raise your center a gravity so if you got hung down and couldn't stop your hauler it would make the boat flip over easier & besides you don't need to be reaching up & out trying to clear the rope from the snatch block when you have a pot sitting on the gunnel. You can see some pictures of my hauler set up in " http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=16862 , it ain't pretty but i've had the gunnel just about down to the water when i was hung down and it still would have kept pullin' if i didn't shut the hauler off. If you do deside to go with a store bought hauler look at "electra-dyne" haulers, they ain't cheep but you'll only have to buy it once & i know they pull faster than most if not all of those other toy haulers out there.
    If you attend any of the outdoors shows this spring(anchorage, wasilla or fairbanks) stop by my booth and i'll have a DVD of hauling pots playing for you & anybody else to take a look at. You know what they say, one picture is worth a thousand words. Good luck and pm me if you have any questions.

Steve the potbuilder
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I used to use that method with a Cabelas drift sock/sea anchor instead of a bucket - cost about 35 bucks and rolls up pretty small when not in use.

i hav an 18' currach {traditional irish boat} i fish lobster for the summer and shrimp for the winter on the west coast of ireland. last year i made a hauler from an old concrete powerfloat that a mate was dumping. it has a 12:1 right angle gearbox and a 4hp honda engine. i simply removed the engine an gearbox from the powerfloat and made a frame using 2" angle iron. i mounted the gearbox on end with the drive pully at the side and the tailshaft facing back. onto the tailshaft i fashioned a boss to wich i bolted the capstain off an old yacht winch. i mounted the engine at the other end on elongated holes. stuck on a new v belt and away it went. i now fish leaders of 10 pots wit it. its very safe because you have to stay with the rope and keep literaly a 2 finger tension behind the capstain giving you total control of hauling presure. total cost 5euro

Anyone ever used a quad winch?
    "...and if you dont have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." - Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Buy guns, its Biblical.

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    Anyone ever used a quad winch?
    Not realistic. I run two strings that are more than 1000' each. The atv winch has more than enough grunt, but not enough speed or capacity. Use a buoy and a bucket or buy a real puller. It is OK to go half assed in some things, but not on the water or in the air.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I can't remember what it is called but have any of you guys seen the hand lift system that is sold at the Alaska State Fair. It allows you to lift heavy weight pulling a rope through metal gizmo/widgit with ease and it also grips the rope. The guy that sells them has an engine hooked up and has you lift it, which is pretty easy. Its just a peice of strong metal and you thread the rope/line through it and pull. One of these on a davit might work. Just thinking outloud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast