Thread: OK, Need Advise on "Do It Yourself Hunt"

Default OK, Need Advise on "Do It Yourself Hunt"

OK, I have definately decided not to take a African safari but want to try and perform a DIYH ("Do It Yourself Hunt").

But geewhiz!!! the part I have trouble with is how to select an area to hunt including all the regs, etc....

I want to hunt Caribou and hopefully a Moose. I am thinking of fishing some while hunting and maybe even bird hunting. I think taking a raft up stream make sense.

So there is so much but I have basically a year to work it out. So the first thing to select the area(s) and whatever regs I have to overcome.

Then I need to find the drop off point and transportation into the interior.

Afterward many more things I must consider but I can only take a step at a time for the "thousand mile walk" I have to complete.

Could you guys start helping me plan?

~F

PS: I have purchased the "Hunt Alaska Now, Self-Guiding for Trophy Moose & Caribou" book to serve as a template from this website.

Default pristine ventures

Why stress yourself out? check out pristine ventures and let him help you plan your hunt plus he has rental rafts etc............good luck

Thumbs up PV hunt planner

I second thunder chicken 1's advice, this would be the easiest way to do a DIY hunt. I have a moose float hunt this fall that Larry put together for me and I can honestly tell you, he does his homework. Check him out on the web @ www.pristineventures.com

First thing I'd do is find someone to go with me. I've been on solo hunts for caribou and moose. It's not nearly as much fun as when you have someone with you. Find someone to go with you. It splits the cost and work and shares the fun.

www.mikesbritishguns.us

Default Ok, Ok

OK Pristine Hunt is my first stop.

I do need someone to hunt with, someone reliable to go. Any ideas?

I want to go Aug-Oct 2007 next year.

Suggestions?
    ~F

Default hunting partners

get your dates worked out etc. and then make a post on here and I'm sure you'll find a few that will be interested in splitting the costs, especially since your doing it well in advance, heck I might even be interested............keep us posted

Default Dead End

Well I have tried contacting www.pristineventures.com by sending emails leaving my email and phone but no one is replying.

So anyone have more suggestions? I still need a way to plan and possibly find a hunting partner.

Thanks in advance
    ~F

Give him some time fecampbell, this is a busy time for his business. He'll contact you when he gets back in from his latest trip.

Default patience is a virtue............

He floats alot of rivers and personally checks the areas he recommends so he's out and about especially now before hunting season, his business is very reputable and his success rates are high because he does his research. Most people plan there next years hunt over the winter after hunting season but I'm sure he will contact you when he can, don't sweat it you have a whole year..............................

Default Give me a call-

Quote Originally Posted by fecampbell
    Well I have tried contacting www.pristineventures.com by sending emails leaving my email and phone but no one is replying.

So anyone have more suggestions? I still need a way to plan and possibly find a hunting partner.

Thanks in advance
    ~F
    Campbell,

Drop me a private message and I'd be happy to assist you with this.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I'm going to have to second what others have already said about giving Larry a call. I'm going to be using his services next fall myself.

Good question,I feel the same way about DIY hunting. I plan on doing the same thing soon God willing. After you select what you want to hunt, and where, give the wildlife Biologest a call and ask your questions. Good luck.

FEC -- I'm doing a DIY moose hunt this fall. I'd be happy to share info with you if you would like. You can p.m. for details.