Thread: Goat Hunting Grasshopper. DG866

Default Goat Hunting Grasshopper. DG866

I drew the new goat tag in grasshopper valey tag DG866. I have been in there in the spring for black bear, but never in the fall. I was wondering if any one has any insight to goat hunting here. The terrain is not bad, but is one side of the valley better than the other. I know that you can not cross the river so that will limit me to one side only.

seen what i think were goats on the outside of the mouth of the valley first week of sept a few years back, they were white spots from where i was, but they acted like goats. it'd be on the outside of the valley, right above knik glacier, south side of the valley mouth i'd guess.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Access

Is there a way you can 4 wheel or hike in to the valley? I have been across metel creek to the base of the glacier but no futher? Other wise a plane is ok with me. Just looking at my options.

i think you can only fly back there practicly, if you don't know where the goats are now, flying in would be the best anyway, super short flight outa palmer anyway.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter300saum View Post
    Is there a way you can 4 wheel or hike in to the valley? I have been across metel creek to the base of the glacier but no futher? Other wise a plane is ok with me. Just looking at my options.
    Long hike, the glacier retreting left a pretty huge gorge between the end of the 4x4 trail and the valley looks doable with a lot of bushwhacking, I'd expect the goats to be way back up the valley though, by marcus baker glacier.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Input

Thanks for the input. It looks like taking a plane is the way to go. From what I have heard it looks like a two day hunt if things go well. I talked with Tony out of the Palmer office and he said that guys have had good sucsess with this hunt. I only have to deal with 7 instate and 4 out of state hunters. So if any one with the in state hunters are on here drop me a email, that is if you don't need a partner. Looking forward to this hunt.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

I'm also one of the 7 in-staters that drew the Marcus Baker tag. Great area, haven't hunted Goats in it but have spent some time chasing sheep in the area. Plenty of goats the last time I flew it (2 years ago)...with only 12 total tags and 2 months to hunt I can't imagine there will be much pressure- plus the sheep hunting will be done on the 20th of september I believe- and thats only a handful of tags as well...I'm gonna try to find the dirtiest, hairiest, meanest billy I can....and then mount him! Of course I will shoot him first, what were you thinking?