Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to hunt Wolves?

Default Best way to hunt Wolves?

I was wondering how productive wolf hunting can be. I have spent a night or two in the feild and am wanting to score on a wolf in the worst way. I was looking for ideas on how to be successful or at least better my odds. It seems to me that you have to be at the right place at the right time???
    Pick A Spot

Mark

Get a trapper's license and bait them during trapping season. No traps are required. You can shoot them from a blind.

Read as much about trapping them as you can and employ trapping tactics. The "pee set" using domestic dog pee (especially from a b*tch in heat) is a great set.

Default Sounds Fun

I think that sounds like fun. Have you had any come in? Thanks for the input. I have to give it a whirl. What is the best bait Moose? I saved a bunch of scraps from a moose kill its pretty ripe. Thanks.
    Pick A Spot

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mikthestik View Post
    ....Have you had any come in?....
    Nope. I've never fooled them.

In fact, I've had them nearly wave goodbye to me when I was leaving my "blind".

....What is the best bait Moose? I saved a bunch of scraps from a moose kill its pretty ripe.....
    You can get moose meat legal to bait with if you get on the Trooper list for road killed moose for trappers. It's the meat not consumable for people.

Otherwise you can't legally bait with moose if you move the meat.

Thumbs up I should clarify.

I have old moose bones that are not meat, just what I cut the meat off of, still might it hold the interest of cannines? I will locate the troopers list and register for that. That would be a great way to secure some bait thanks.
    Pick A Spot

Do they feed on gut piles as well? I've looked for bear near where a gutpile was but the pile either hadn't been touched or were pretty much gone by the time I got there.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    Do they feed on gut piles as well? I've looked for bear near where a gutpile was but the pile either hadn't been touched or were pretty much gone by the time I got there.
    I sat near a gutpile three days after the moose had been taken. Caught a black bear on it when I arrived. Just as the sun was setting a wolf arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The "pee set" using domestic dog pee (especially from a b*tch in heat) is a great set.
    Trick is teaching you b*itch to pee in a bottle for you.

On a more serious note. Last spring I had some luck with wolves and coyotes with Pups in distress call. If Im not mistaken that type of call works best late March and April when they are whelping.

I have called in several wolves with various calls, deer calls and rabbit calls have worked well for me, Also I have located and called wolves in using a moose call (funnel) and howling into it.

Default Calls

Do you locate a pack and then call or do you go call in the blind?
    Pick A Spot

I have done both, blind calling and calling to wolves that I know are there. Howling is a good way to locate them.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=27jb7ICvC_8

Check this out, it was posted on trapperman. Looks like a good method .

Default Wow...

Holy cow, that was pretty neat. I never would have thought that possible. Now, where to get an Eagle....hmmmm.

Default If I didnt see it I would not believe it!

That was incretible! I see eagles in a little different way now, watch your backside!
    Pick A Spot

Smile Huntemup!!

I'm only 15 years old but i have killed a few wolves. I kill them when I am out on my marten line. when you hear them howl just find an open clearing and call for them with a predetor call. You don't have to have a fancy call, mine is from wal-mart and is a rabbit squeeler. the rabbit call and my cow elk call make an awful noise but defenitely bring them in.

1 predator control area + 1 AC 800 mountain cat sled + 1 flat top AR 15 + a custom eberlestock pack to allow a quick draw.

That is the basis for what I am planning next year! I am going to go ptarmigan hunting with the AR and hopefully cut wolf tracks then the chase is on! I will probably spend more on gas then I will make in pelts but it should be FUN!

I've been calling for a few years now without much luck. This past winter I decided to set out a bunch of snares to up my odds. The plan was to call in the morning for fox, coyote, and wolf, then check the snares after I'm done calling. I'm convinced there are only a handful of people that know the area better than I do and I believe that helped me out more than anything. Long story short, I took my first coyote and wolf this winter via snares. I believe my success was not because I am a master trapper, it was my first attempt, but some of it was because I knew the area and dedicated much of my spare time out there checking my traps and locating the areas with good animal traffic. Luck also played it's part.

It was a grueling process and I planned to give up many times, but certain factors kept me in the game which panned out with color. Also there were many people that helped me with this venture, each of you know who you are. Without their help I would have felt like a rock trying to conquer gravity.

This winter I also called in a set of wolves. I was checking the traps and heard them howling within half a mile. I setup a stand and played a coyote challenge bark. It worked like a charm, but once they came within sight they bolted into the woods. I never saw them but their tracks told the story.

Finally, read "Hunting The Hunters." I've read a few predator hunting books but this one lead to more insight than any other book. This book is not the holy grail of predator hunting but it brought light to different strageties that work well in Alaska that are not mentioned in other books of similar nature.

Good Luck!

Smile

I would sub the a.c. for a supercub and an aerial permit.Then you have the best way to get wolf.

P.S.
    before anybody starts whining about the ethics of this save it, I have already heard it all and am just having fun..

Track and shoot is most fun, but rifle of choice is a .22wmr as it doesn't tear up the pelt.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast