Thread: Eklutna Archery permit.

Default Eklutna Archery permit.

Anyone ever hunted the eklutna lake area? I drew the archery permit (ds140) this year and any comments on the area would be appreciated.

yup

It's steep!

There are 3 spots I would hunt it and 4 ways to go about it imho. I'll pm you with the info so every tom dick and harry isnt following you around like a lost puppy!

Here's what I know.
    YOU GOY MY PERMIT!!!!!!
    Congrats & good luck
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Sending you a PM.

Default success rate?

What is the actual success rate? I know its steep, and I bike up there alot, and always see sheep, but it looks impossible to get near them!! What are some of the experiences of hunters? I didn't get a permit, was just wondering how difficult this hunt is

Quote Originally Posted by TBLOOMA View Post
    What is the actual success rate?
    Extremely low. In years past they have given out 100 permits (this year there are 80, I think), and success is usually no more than a handful of rams. There are also probably a few ewes taken, as it is an any-sheep tag. More than half of the hunters don't use the permit, as the weather turns cold and they decide the couch seems more comfy. Of those that use it, many just try day hunts up Twin Peaks or Pioneer Peak. Success can certainly be found this way, but there will be competition - particularly on the weekend.

I would guess that success rates for this hunt are less than 10%, though I do know people that have scored. I hope to as well come October.

I hunted this permit in '05. The beauty of it is that you are not limited to just Eklutna Lake. You can also go in north of Powerline Pass or other access routes. We were on 60 sheep (yes, I said 60) within 5 hours of leaving the bike trail off of Eklutna Lake. There were three full curl rams in the group and my partner and I closed the distance to 35 yards on day two. He missed the shot after I allowed him to shoot first. This, of course, blew the sheep out of the valley. We hunted for the next day without a sign of the herd so we headed back to the truck only a few hours away. No sheep that year, but I had a blast.

'05 was probably the best weather ever for this hunt. It has been bad in '06 and '07, so don't count on good weather.

Default Thanks

Thanks doug and trad bow for the PMs. Ill have to give those spots a try. this will be my 1st time in that area and 1st bow hunt for sheep.

good luck! Love to hear how the hunt goes, and pics if you do get one.