Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glacier Craft build

Default Glacier Craft build

I have been researching custom aluminum boat builders along the West Coast and into BC for several years. I kept coming back to a local Alaskan builder. Alaska Offshore Marine and Glaciercraft. The fit and finish is second to none, plus I could see the progress in person. That was important to me since this is a once in a life time boat for my family and I. She is nearly completed. I am just waiting for the motors to be installed.

Boat in gig. All parts are cut on a computerized CNC router table. The sides are .19" and the bottom is .25"

Here is a pic with me standing on the bottom of the hull with the lead welder. Hopefully this is the only time I have to stand on this side of the boat!

A pic of the framing for the floor. There are three 135 gallon fuel tanks under there.

The cabin roughed in. I am 6'6" and am the shortest guy in the family, so the cabin is 6'10" at the aft sloping down to 6'7" at the helm.

Default a few more

The berth. I have two removable cots that will hang, so that I will be able to sleep five up front.

Head and shower.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default more

Wallas stove and sink.

Oven and cabinets.

Cabin.

Espar furnace

Default more

Over size freeman hatch. You can never have too big of an access to the bildge, can you?

Insulation panels.

Rocket launchers and deck floods and cleaning station.

Battery switch. Pretty clean wiring job, I think.

Really nice looking boat, bud. I look forward to pictures of you getting it bloody!

Default a few more

Racor, raw water washdown, and fuel distribution block.

Fish well x 2

Storage.

Scott and the crew build a top shelf boat built to last a life time. It is time to get out and create some memories!
    Last edited by spoiled one; 02-08-2008 at 09:50. Reason: additional comments

Fantastic!
    Makes me almost want a metal boat
    Seriously, great boat, tons of nice features and I am glad it all worked out for you and it is finally finished.
    How long did it take from the first deposit to finally being finished?
    Tennessee

Wow! Beautiful!

I'm glad you posted the photos of your boat on here, looks very nice. I really like the sliding cabin door... if it is a slider anyway. It's nice to be able to take advantage of as much space as possible on the deck. It'll be nice when you are shrimping. I like the features of the boat, the framing, and the finish, it looks like a well put together craft. I imagine that the amount of work and detail that goes into these boats is the reason it takes a little longer. Fine looking machine you have there... Now, if only I had an extra 120K lying around... well it would be a start anyway.

Ya know, back when you still had the 24 Hewes and I brought my new 26 into the neighborhood, I really had some self-esteem! But now,...shrinkage.

Too cool! You're sure making it hard to keep up with the Spoiled Ones. Let's get out and kill some bears!

Chris

I was envious too....until I realized that 3-135 gallon fuel tanks cost about $1400 to fill up!

Quote Originally Posted by Burton View Post
    I'm glad you posted the photos of your boat on here, looks very nice. I really like the sliding cabin door... if it is a slider anyway. It's nice to be able to take advantage of as much space as possible on the deck. It'll be nice when you are shrimping. I like the features of the boat, the framing, and the finish, it looks like a well put together craft. I imagine that the amount of work and detail that goes into these boats is the reason it takes a little longer. Fine looking machine you have there... Now, if only I had an extra 120K lying around... well it would be a start anyway.
    The door is a slider and it slides like it is on rails. Even in these cold temps. There are absoultely no corners cut in the build process.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Water View Post
    I was envious too....until I realized that 3-135 gallon fuel tanks cost about $1400 to fill up!
    Not looking forward to the cost of running her, but if Momma is happy, I am happy!

If Momma's not happy with that one, you need to upgrade Momma too.

This is a beautiful boat - well designed and well laid out. Just a question though, when I checked out the Glacier web site, they say they only guarantee their hulls for 10 years (and quoting from the site they say "sounds a little scary to put on paper")? It begs a question about the company's assessment of the quality of materials and construction when a lifetime warranty is a not given. By comparison, Hewescraft offers a lifetime warranty to the original owner and a 10 year warranty for a second owner once the boat is sold. As you said, this is a once in a lifetime boat - it's just a shame that it doesn't come with lifetime coverage for the hull.

Anyway, safe travels!

Cheers, Ray

Quote Originally Posted by There and Back Again View Post
    This is a beautiful boat - well designed and well laid out. Just a question though, when I checked out the Glacier web site, they say they only guarantee their hulls for 10 years (and quoting from the site they say "sounds a little scary to put on paper")? It begs a question about the company's assessment of the quality of materials and construction when a lifetime warranty is a not given. By comparison, Hewescraft offers a lifetime warranty to the original owner and a 10 year warranty for a second owner once the boat is sold. As you said, this is a once in a lifetime boat - it's just a shame that it doesn't come with lifetime coverage for the hull.

Anyway, safe travels!

Cheers, Ray
    I watched the build and am not really concerned with the 10 year warranty. My previous boat was a hewescraft. Nothing against the hewes, but you cannot compare the two hulls. The GC will out last the hewes. No question in my mind.

How long from the first deposit to the finished boat?
    Tennessee

Default Re: Lifetime Warranty

Don't necessarily read too much into the warranty length issue. If something is built well enough, you won't need to excersize the warranty part of the equation. Some Mfgr's ( not necessarily boat mfg'rs ) that build low-end, price focused products ( especially true in the construction-trade products) will add-on very long warranty periods to help sell their products, because if you look deep enough, you might never buy their product. So- its a "piece-of-mind" kind of thing for the buyer, and a genuine sales-marketing tool for the seller. ( And I'm not implying anything here in regards to Hewescraft-- after all, I own one myself )

Lifetime warranties from a company that may have only been in business 10 yrs isn't necessarily a "lifetime" warranty if they go out of business. I have seen this very issue arise many times in my own industry over the yrs.

Quality of manufacturing is the single best hedge against product failure. I'm not trying to diminish warranty-coverage as a product or company feature, but there IS more to the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    How long from the first deposit to the finished boat?
    If you talk with Scott or Mike, they can give you the time line.

Cool

Very nice boat! Some FACTS about Glaicer Craft Boats!
    They take a while to build.
    The boats are built stonger than any boat I have ever seen.
    If you order one be happy that you are on the list, your boat will be built with quality that surpasses any other aluminum boat builder.
    I did ALOT of research before I ordered mine, I looked at literally hundreds of custom boats from Seattle, Vancouver, to Homer and every where in between and these are by far the best boats that are out there.
    Compare the price, compare the quality, I challenge you to.
    I have lived in Alaska for over 25 years and owned alot of boats and can't wait till I get mine. If you think that you can just go out and get a CUSTOM BUILT BOAT in a couple of months think again, or look at who's building the boat.
    I ordered one and I'm glad that I did. I have NO regrets, I'm getting the boat of a lifetime.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast