Thread: Pre-64 300 H&H thoughts

Default Pre-64 300 H&H thoughts

I have a chance to buy a 300 H&H that was made in 1958 and was need a gut check. It is in excellent shape, the guy is the third owner, he wants $1400. What do you think? With the model 70 coming back is this going to drop the prices on the old ones? Thanks Doug

I doubt that with the M70 being reintroduced that the Pre 64 guns will come down in price. They will always be a collectable gun since there are no more being built and people buy them as a "collectable" and in most cases not a shooter.
    In short, $1400 for a pre 64 gun if it is in great shape is not a bad deal and unless you destroy the gun you will always be able to get your money back out of it.

Definately not a horrible deal, and you can't go wrong with the 300 H&H. The prices will drop on the classics, but the pre-64 prices shouldn't be affected.

Wink 300 H&h

If you dont buy it, can I have the guys # ?

Sure, I am going to go and look at again tomorrow. He also has a couple of 270's he wants to get rid of. I think one was made in the 40's and the other 50's. I can ask him for sure tomorrow. Doug

I have a 1952 M70 300 H&H. Has to be my favorite rifle, at least currently. Nothing to not like about it.

$1400 seems high, but I've seen these rifles command a higher price over the last few years. I know I wouldn't sell mine for $1400. Glad I bought mine before prices went through the roof.

Default Pre-64 .300 H&H.

I have had a number of pre-64 Model 70s. The best shooter was stolen many years ago in a burglary. I would carry it to the range today, but not into the woods. It was a .30-06, and weighed over 10 lbs. with scope and sling. Some of the featherweights were very acceptable rifles and I passed one up a few years ago, now I'm regretting it. The other mdl. 70s I bought only for resale. Much too heavy to consider hunting with today, with so many excellent and accurate light-weight rifles to choose from. I also can't imagine sliding down a rock slope on one as I have done with some of my newer, synthetic stocked rifles. But then, I am a hunter, not a collector.

If the .300 H&H you are looking at is all original and in very good condition, it might be worth $1,400. Check Flayderman's book of gun values. There are other credible gun value books out there also. If you actually intend to hunt with that rifle, you should take a scale and weigh it before you buy. I'll bet it is over 10 lbs., maybe over 9 lbs. without a scope.
    Jack.

Thumbs down too high

That is beyond top dollar.........no more than 1K.....or under.

Default decent price

It's a good price, and you can't lose money on it, not that you are buying it for an investment, one heck of a good shooting rifle. Not as good as the Weatherby 300 that was meant to be better than the 300 H&H, but for the times that rifle was the best. I've heard of some people getting upwards of 4-5 thousand for a perfect example of a 300 H&H in pre 64.

Default Pre-64 Win Mdl 70 in .300 H&H

Great Northern Guns had 2 last week for around $1000 and $1400 each. i think the stock had been cut on each of them - a real curse afflecting many pre-64 rifles. Some of the late pre-64's had a factory recoil pad. I believe you can tell the difference by the distance from the lower sling swivel to the edge of the wood.

If you want strickly a shooter get a recent classic - they have a longer action which is actually better suited to the .300 H&H length case.