Thread: Lots of Qs: Soar Levitator, Pro Pioneer, Magnum???

Anchorage, AK

Default Lots of Qs: Soar Levitator, Pro Pioneer, Magnum???

Why can't I find the Levitator or Magnum on Soar's website?

Which one is the "best" boat of the 3 for AK float hunting?

Would it be feasable to construct a catacanoe with two Soar canoes and a frame? What would be the performance characteristics of such a craft?

Is it feasable to put a small outboard on a Soar canoe and take it out to sea for use as a motorized sea kayak/ small boat? Does anyone make a spray skirt or other cover to prevent the inside of a ProP from turning into a bathtub in the rain or from wave splashes?

I'm trying to decide on the most versatile purchase I can make for Alaska hunting and fishing (under ~ $6000). I'm considering a 15' NRS Otter, 18' Aire Leopard, or 1-2 Soar inflatable canoes. I primarily want something that's great for hunting on a wide range of rivers, tributaries, and sloughs. The ability to head out to sea and meet or exceed the performance of a sea kayak (using a small outboard motor) would be a big plus.

One of the guys at Alaska Raft and Kayak pretty much has me sold on the idea of the catacanoe. Big and stable like a cataraft for comfort, carrying capacity, and ability to travel on larger rivers, but with the added ability to seperate into two smaller canoes for traversing smaller tributaries and shallow sloughs.

He uses one made up of two Aire Traveler inflatable canoes. Each canoe has a 750lb carrying capacity, so 1500lbs total. My idea (and I'm sure it isn't a new one) is to use two Soar Pro Pioneers (or Levitators or Magnums) in a catacanoe configuration. The ProPs look like they run about $2000, (same price as the Aire Traveler), but a ProP catacanoe would have about a 3000lb load capacity, right?

Also, wouldn't a ProP (or other inflatable canoe) perform better than a cataraft, or traditional raft at sea in that they may be transformed to something that resembles a sea kayak?

Thanks for the help.

The Levitator is not available anymore, the Magnum took it's place. SOAR does have the Pro Pioneer on their site, I saw it there yesterday. Talk to Larry Bartlett over at Pristine Ventures about those boats since they are his design, he can definitley tell you more about them than I can.

Default Radical not Levitator

I think it is the Radical that is not avail any more. The Levitator is bigger than the Radical was or the Magnum will be.
    Either way like he said look up pristine ventures.
    One more thing, self bailing boats just aren't made to put an outboard on & head out to sea. I'm not saying it can be done but they tend to flex, buckle & hold a lot of water in the floor under power. They will work but its slow going. ( I am speaking more about the levitator as it is more of a raft than canoe)

Right you are AKMarmot, for some reason I got them reversed, thanks for the correction.

Putting two side by side, even with no space between them, would be a wide boat, 16x8' for the ProP, even wider for the others. You would want 10'-11' oars for the two ProPs. You might consider two standard Soar 16s instead to shave 16 inches off the outside dimensions, or open a space in the middle.

With some center space you could use a small outboard to push it around. I wonder how a larger outboard would work to get it up on step. You usually get a lot of spray doing things like this.

I put two Aire Lynx together for a 10x7' craft. Works surprisingly well for a one man craft.