Thread: Loads for .375 Whelen Ackley Improved

Default Loads for .375 Whelen Ackley Improved

Had a custom rifle built in .375 Whelen AI with 40 degree shoulder. Scoured all the reloading manuals and the web for both fireforming and working loads. Not much available.

Anyone have experience working up loads for this cartridge?

Appreciate hearing your experience. Thanks.

You can use the loads made up for the .375 Weatherby on Hodgdon's website. If you have the opportunity, you can find loads in Ackley's book "Handbook For Shooters and Reloaders".
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default Ackley

Ackley's book is the ticket , but you have to be careful , some of the loads listed are HOT .

I loaded these for a pardner's custom .375 Whelen Improved or as he liked to call it his "poor man's magnum". Here are two loads:

270GR Hornady SP
    58 grs IMR 4064
    Remington 9 1/2 large rifle primer
    Remington Brass (formed from necked up 35 Whelen Remington bulk cases, never tried any necked up 30-06 cases)
    Average Velocity 2420 fps

300GR Hornady BTSP
    54grs IMR 4064
    Remington 9 1/2 large rifle primer
    Remington Brass
    Average Velocity 2185 fps

These loads were fairly accurate, consistently turned in 1 moa 3-shot groups. I believe accuracy could have been improved with a little more tweaking but load development was effectively terminated when the shooter's desired level of accuracy was achieved. This rifle is built on a trued Remington action, 24" Shilen select match SS 1-12" twist barrel, McMillan mountain rifle stock.

Anyways, ain't much, but, can get you started. I am suspect myself of any internet loadings. These are from my load data, I loaded these to help a friend get started in shooting a new firestick. Since then, pardner is handloading for himself. I can check with him in the next few days to see if he has any new developments with this Ackley. I'm an Ackleyite myself, anymore I pretty much just work with 280AI.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    You can use the loads made up for the .375 Weatherby on Hodgdon's website. If you have the opportunity, you can find loads in Ackley's book "Handbook For Shooters and Reloaders".

I don't think the 375 Wby is close enough to use that load date. The 375 Wby is the improved H&H case, the 375 Whelen is on the '06 case.

I have a bunch of loads for the 375 Whelen AI. I have one of these have loaded for it a bit.

P.O.'s book has some good loads but it has some that were pretty warm. I have some with modern powders, RL-15, H4895, etc and will dig them out tomorrow.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post

This comment could really get someone in trouble. The 375 Wby is bascially an improved 375 H&H and is built on the longer belted case while the 375 Whelen is built on the 06 case.
    For example, the 375 Wby will probably use 15-20 grains more of RL 15 than the 375 Whelen would.
    Not so much a problem for slower burning powders but if the person asking for suggestions used a faster burning choice it could be a huge mistake.
    Tennessee

Chessie,

I don't think I want to leave load data posted for any length of time, if you're interested in load data contact me directly.

Redding makes custom dies for this caliber and they are on the shelf for about $125, ready for delivery, you won't have to wait 3 months.

I wouldn't mind taking another run at loading this one and might work up some more loads with different powders this summer.
    Last edited by Murphy; 02-10-2008 at 10:10. Reason: creepy crawly things
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Update

Murphy-

Did you ever work up any more loads for this caliber? I just picked a rifle up in this caliber yesterday and will be starting to load for it shortly. A set of RCBS dies and some ammo / cases came with it so I'm ready to go.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Chessie,

I don't think I want to leave load data posted for any length of time, if you're interested in load data contact me directly.

Redding makes custom dies for this caliber and they are on the shelf for about $125, ready for delivery, you won't have to wait 3 months.

I wouldn't mind taking another run at loading this one and might work up some more loads with different powders this summer.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Not Murphy but.. for a base reference you can start with 35 Whelen loads for similar weight bullets -start low and work up. 375 Whelen AI with larger bore and larger case will reduce pressure some over 35 Whelen. I have tried IMR4064 and RE15. RE15 seems better in my rifle using 260gr partition.

Eric

Varget should be an excellent powder in 375 AI. With 260 gr start at 54 gr and work up.

http://www.amazon.com/Bore-Rifles-Ca.../dp/1879356007

For those of us with bigger bores, this is a great reference book and fun to read too.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012