Thread: Shipping Meat/Budget

Default Shipping Meat/Budget

Looking for some info from anyone who's shipped south (to Oregon or close by) so I can check my math. I used the Alaska Airlines Air Cargo website but just want to be sure I didn't miss anything. Also looking for a recommendation for a reputable processor in Alaska that I can work with over the phone.

Estimated:

At 250 pds for 2 boned out caribou, shipping is about $110 to Anchorage for processing...it doesn't necessarily have to be processed in Anchorage I just used this for budgeting.

Then shipping back to Oregon, post processing, from Anchorage is about $250.

I estimated 45 pounds for rack and cape?? That was a real WAG. I guess then $75 for one cape and rack; plus one other rack without a cape. My son and I are in competition; only one gets mounted, which ever is largest! We are hopeful aren't we...

Are these good estimates or am I missing something?

Default ak air costs

frozen costs about 50 cents per pound non priority, they keep it frozen but it may not fly with you if there's not enuf room but will follow within a couple days. If you want it to go with you cost about doubles

Default Indian valley

Alot of times my cousin from down south uses Indian Valley meats for processing because they will ship it to you when there done , and I dont remember it being very expensive. They would also be able to work with you over the phone. There located right outside anchorage.

Default Meat and trophy shipping

I second the recommendation for Indian Valley Meats. I think Doug uses FedEx though (could be mistaken on that). He does this all the time and has it dialed in pretty well.

As to shipping the trophies, you might check with Russell Knight of Knight's Taxidermy. He does excellent work and can prep and ship right to your taxidermist.

Best of luck on your hunt!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Indian Valley

Indian Valley is one of the few places I take my meat to. 1st, you get your own meat back. 2nd, I've always had great results with there products. 3rd, great customer service. 4th great rates.

Good luck, just know that for racks I think there is additional shipping, Mike would know better than I on that. As far as weight goes depends what herd you shot the bou from and what products you get made.

Good luck, Terry

I'd second what Terry and Mike said about Indian Valley Meat. I won't take my game anywhere else.

Default Shipping...

+1 to all of the recommendations for Indian Valley Meats, if you check their website they also offer good advice on caring for your meat in the field.

If you ship your antlers/capes back to Oregon, I have used Knight's for that purpose...it does cost you a bit, although I'm out in maryland so that might have something to do with it. Cost me over $200 to get a pair of antlers back here, it was priced by bulk (space in the truck) as well as distance. After they built a solid container for the antlers (2x4 frame covered with clear plastic) the crate was pretty big. There may be better ways to ship antlers that others can tell you about.

Default Ak Air

Alaska AirCargo bases their shipping rates on three things. 1- Weight of your meat, horns, capes. 2- Dementional weight (Size), basically the space it takes up in the plane. 3- Then they tack on a .14 cents per pound fuel surcharge. If you just estimate a price by how much you think your stuff will weigh you will be low...To get an accurate estimate you have to call AirCargo tell them your estimated weight and size of boxes or horns properly packaged (They like them in boxes) and don't forget the extra .14 cents per pound on your total chargeable weight. If your sucessful whatever it costs will be worth it, Caribou is good.

Default Alaska Airlines Cargo

Quote Originally Posted by chano View Post
    Alaska AirCargo bases their shipping rates on three things. 1- Weight of your meat, horns, capes. 2- Dementional weight (Size), basically the space it takes up in the plane. 3- Then they tack on a .14 cents per pound fuel surcharge. If you just estimate a price by how much you think your stuff will weigh you will be low...To get an accurate estimate you have to call AirCargo tell them your estimated weight and size of boxes or horns properly packaged (They like them in boxes) and don't forget the extra .14 cents per pound on your total chargeable weight. If your sucessful whatever it costs will be worth it, Caribou is good.
    Chano,

I think the dimensional weight issue only applies to antlers, which makes sense when you think about it. Antlers are relatively light for the amount of space they occupy.

In most cases where hunters are shipping antlers on Alaska Airlines, they will go as cargo and the Antler Express program will be used. The Antler Express program is handled by FedEx, and the commitment is to get the antlers to you within 7-10 working days.

If the antlers are really tiny, there's a chance they can go as baggage, as long as they meet the dimensional requirements of checked baggage, as quoted here:

"Each bag can be a maximum of 62 linear inches (length + width + height) and may weigh up to 50 pounds. Excess baggage charges apply to additional pieces, overweight pieces between 51 and 100 pounds and oversized pieces of luggage."

I don't believe Alaska Airlines allows hunters to simply tape the tips of their antlers (or put garden hose on them, or cardboard and such) anymore. Antlers have to be in a box, if they are shipped as cargo. At that point you will be charged the dim. weight. It might be cheaper to have Knight's Taxidermy ship them out instead; they do it in bulk and get better rates.

For those interested in more details, HERE'S THE LINK to Alaska Airlines' shipping guidelines for antlers.

Finally, I should mention that Alaska Airlines just launched a service called "Ask Jenn". It's a virtual assistant with a built in voice to guide you through pretty much any question you might have about flying on Alaska Airlines. Alaska is the first airline in the world to offer such a service, and it will be a huge help in finding answers to questions that would otherwise take a lot of time to find. Just go to Alaskaair.com and click "Ask Jenn" at the far right side of the menu bar.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Default Costs

Thanks for all the assistance. I will call Indian Meats.

I had included the fuel surcharge in my estimates already. So based on the Alaska Air Cargo website for example:

Priority Z1 Kotz to Z2 Anc is .30/pd for 250 pds + .14/pd for the surcharge = $110 for 250 pounds.

Antlers are $1.50/pd +.14/pd fuel surchage = $73.80 for 45 lbs.

I just need to know:

1. Is priority the right speed or should I select their Goldstreak service?
    2. Are my weights accurate?

Default Ooops Antler Price is $1.50/pd in addition to normal charges

Shipping Guidelines for Antlers

Antler Express is a cargo service for the transport of antlers within the state of Alaska and export to the lower 48 states.
    Acceptance

• Must be encased in a heavy duty polyethylene bag regardless of outer packaging
    • Packaging in a polyethylene bag inside a corrugated box required for specific applicable rates
    • All airport to door shipments must be boxed
    • Antler tips must be padded to prevent punctures
    • Antlers with raw meat, blood or noticeable odors will not be accepted
    • No perishables can be included with the antlers
    • Maximum weight per piece is 100 pounds
    • Interline shipments acceptable if cargo meets connecting carrier's rules and regulations
    • All charges must be pre-paid
    Service Levels

• Airport to airport
    • Airport to door
    • Normal delivery time is 7 to 10 working days
    • Delivery service will be provided by FedEx
      • Price includes delivery to final destination, polyethylene bag and corrugated box
      • Shipments to residential addresses will be subject to an extra fee
    • Maximum allowable dimensions are 38 inches deep by 34 inches wide and 70 inches length / height.
    Pricing

• Delivery charges are $1.50 per pound in addition to normal transportation charges on Alaska Airline to Anchorage (ANC)
    • Delivery charges are subject to a $15 minimum
    • Delivery charges are not subject to taxation, fuel, or security surcharges

Default Other options

Hiker,

It will cost you a lot more to ship them this way than with a regular cargo carrier such as NAC or Everts. These two companies are cargo exclusively and have no such restrictions as you will find on a passenger carrier.

For the 45-lb. rack you mentioned in your post, NAC will charge you $39.53 to ship it from Kotzebue (OTZ) to Anchorage (ANC).

It is usually easiest to ship it all via cargo on a regular cargo carrier.

-Mike

About 18 miles east of the nut farm in Orgun

Thumbs up

Mike I think your over thinking this trip. Ive known you for year and Have yet to see you shoot anything Now Cody on the other hand is a stone cold killa.

Default Mike S...he didn't mean you Mike

Mike S. Let me appologize for Stump.58. He meant me...

Stump.58, my fantasy name is bowhiker you goofball. And by the way. Cody has had more shots and I have dragged more for him than you too!

Mark

All of a sudden airfare has skyrocketed. I'm suspecting fuel prices and more are the "reasons".

Plan on higher cargo shipping costs this fall and hope for the best.