Thread: Young Colorado couple seeks property in AK

Default Young Colorado couple seeks property in AK

Hello all,
    Great website! My soon to be wife and I have been homesteading in the Sangre de Cristo mountains (8500 feet!) of Colorado for the past 2 years and we have decided we need to move to Alaska. We need water and people who support our lifestyle. The desert is not for us.
    I have been up on the Kenai a couple of years ago and we would be looking for something around Anchor Pt. or Homer's east End. Or???
    We plan on building a somewhat normal log home from a kit or partial kit. We have been hauling our own water, hunting, fishing and gardening for 2 years and have had 20 below for weeks on end and cut off from civilization etc. so we are no strangers to the life.
    I guess we are looking for contacts and suggestions before we make the leap. We have our 30' Airstream and a reliable pickup with our 2 muttonheaded labs and we will be ready mid year. We plan on possibly renting a cabin or house for the winter of 08' as I don't want to be building in the snow again. Unless something wonderful happens.
    Any help, comments, suggestions, rants, raves, ramblings or outright blabbing is greatly appreciated.
    I'm sure you wonderful folks get inundated with these types of requests, so thanks for putting up with yet another.

Kindest Regards,

Mountaintrekker

Default You're ready.

Sounds like you have it figured out. Bring up the airstream and check the area again. There are cabins to rent for the winter. Check the usual spots like bulletin boards too. The roads are fun to drive and you can figure out where you want to be. If you come up in summer, most of the pretty parking/camping areas for a trailer will be taken.

My rant: Have some form of income or way to make money. "We need... people who support our lifestyle." PFD's and social assistance only go so far. There are enough people who live in the woods and haul water still, so you'll get support.
    Good luck

Default Thanks BTK!

I just sold my John Deere 410D backhoe and plan on buying something similar when we get up there, so I'm a dirt work kind of guy. My sweetie has managed 4 star restaurants in Chicago/Milwaukee area and would love to work part-time as a server in Homer.
    We would also like to build a large greenhouse and sell veggies at a farmers market kind of thing. I don't know if those are out there or not. My family has been in the greenhouse/fruit orchard business for 3 generations. I figured we would be doing it for us, so why not make it a bit bigger and sell some. Or does that not sound feasible? I understand the growing season produces some amazing stuff on the southern peninsula.

Kindest Regards,

Mountaintrekker

there is lots of land for sale around homer. check out the ak multiple listing service. Good luck

water is an issue around homer. lots af people with cisterns, having water delivered.

Wink

Welcome from a fellow Coloradian to a soon-to-be Alaskan!

Honestly, you need to determine which part of the state that you anticipate on moving to as well. This state is so relentlessly vast that you definitely won't be limited on space.

I could have a whole list of to-dos for you before you do move up here. Supplies are sometimes limited, too, so while you have access to get certain tools, food, etc... you might as well do it down there because it's far cheaper to buy now than to buy and ship up later. Please take the inflation into consideration when moving up here. It's hit me personally hard.

As soon as you decide on where to live, we all could start making suggestions of log home structures/places to live and for you to be able to start building. There are many great pieces of property in our area (Fairbanks/North Pole) but if you wanted to go more remote, there are great places to find as well.

I love the Sangre de Cristo area, by the way.
    I miss Colorado immensely. Be sure that you hike all the 14ers that you can before making it up here because it's only one of two extremes here. It's either easy hiking or difficult climbing. Nothing in the middle and nothing like what Colorado offers. Oh.. and skiing/boarding, too. Be sure to get your fix on that before moving up here. It's a different kind of snow/ice up here.

Welcome to the Alaskan bandwagon from Colorado!!!
    Lurker.

Default Homer or bust

Sounds like you are a "Eastender" in the making. Homer would be the perfect fit for you. We have everything you seek and more! I moved here from Milwaukee 12 years ago and absolutely love it. Great place to raise vegetables and kids. Land prices are getting up there though, but there still are few decent priced parcels out there. Our "cosmic hamlet by the sea" is being discovered. Feel free to pm me.
    Jim

Lots of work for a dirtwork guy right now. Houses are still going up all over. New roads and subdivisions too. Come up in early summer and plan on living in your airstream for a few months. Then don't despair about finding a rental cabin too soon. After fall the rest of the tourists go and cabins are all over the place. Equipment is expensive up here or worn out. If you snowmobile or plan to, and you are of the utilitarian mindset you might think of getting one down there. I use a skidoo tundra II ( personal preference ). These older tundras '88-'97 or so are renowned for their longtrack and lightwieght maneuverablity, as well as reliability. All I know is that I see alot more of them on the internet down there for way better prices. They're getting harder to find cause people keep them. good luck.

You folks are really great! We just moved off our land here in Colorado and are in our Airstream in Kremmling Colorado up north in a small RV park learning the ropes on living in this thing in cold weather.
    We are still awaiting the sale of our 2 properties, but are having a blast with electricity I don't have to mess with and a frost proof faucet only 20ft away! We feel like city folks, us not having to empty ashes for the outhouse! We have internet and we used a microwave for the first time in 3 years. I know we will miss our cabin, but ****... a shower every day!
    We can't wait to head on up there and begin again. Please feel free to keep the responses coming, either on this thread or PM me.

Kindest Regards,

Mountaintrekker