Thread: Factory Loads

Default Factory Loads

Does anyone know of any factory loads for a 270WSM that has the new Barnes MRX bullets, I thought Federal Premiums did,but I guess I was wrong, I checked Midway USA and Cabelas and no luck...I thought about reloading, but don't know much about it....CK

Federal loads a 110 tipped TSX and a 130 TSX.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I know, I wanted to try shooting the new MRX bullets, supposedly a little better than the TSX.

I think the MRX and TTSX are too close in form and function to justify the mrx's price.

I have only relaoded and shot the 30's. I have not killed anything with them yet, but I hear they work like X bullets.

They arent offered in 270WSM. If you want to use em real bad , buy a box or two since they only sell em at 20 a box, and have someone work up some handloads for ya.

Thanks cub, I will have to do that...guess i gotta go buy some dies, and have someone reload them for me.

I think I read that Federal would have them out in the Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Thanks cub, I will have to do that...guess i gotta go buy some dies, and have someone reload them for me.
    Where do you live?

Eielson!...25 miles south of fairbanks...of course you already knew that....

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    I think the MRX and TTSX are too close in form and function to justify the mrx's price.

I have only relaoded and shot the 30's. I have not killed anything with them yet, but I hear they work like X bullets.
    I would think that you'd use the TSX for all loads where the powder will fit the case without undue compression, and the MRX to gain a little case capacity for the loads that require it. Otherwise, the terminal performance ought to be the same. Personally, I was excited when the MRX came out because it resolves the issue with copper not being as dense as lead and therefore requiring the bullet to be longer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the copper alloy in the front half of the two bullets is any different.

Brian

I do believe the the whole bullets are the same except the MRX having a "Silvex" rear core.

I measured a 168 TTSX and a 180 MRX. The 168 is .046 longer. To me that is of no significant difference. I will say that in my 30 cals I am not working with any compressed loads. So to me the length is moot. I am hoping the tips will help speed up expansion.

I'm a die hard Barnes fan, I have taken numerous animals with the TSXs. I read about the MRX and thought the same as you, better flight. Well, they shot the same as the TSXs. Same zero and same drop. However, I shot 5 bears with them last year. They were blowing up on impact, all I could find was blue plastic bits and copper fragments. After seeing this several times I switched back to the TSXs. The bullets are more different than a plastic tip. Here is a link the the bullets. Good luck,just my observations.
    http://www.barnesbullets.com/informa...llet-talk/faq/

Steve

Did the whole bullet blow up? Or did the rear section of bullet still go through?

There was a large round wound area and it was filled with copper and blue plastic fragments. Nothing larger than a pencil eraser. I was shocked, I changed back to the regular TSXs and have not looked back. I saw this same thing on 3 hits that did not exit. Two different boxes of bullets from the same lot. Maybe I had a bad patch, but when I'm hunting stuff that hunts back I want to trust what I'm sending down range.

Steve

I prefer to have the petals break off and the rear core go through. It is not good to have the whole bullet fragment though. I expect that the TTSX will do better than your MRX's did.

The only triple shocks that I have shot game with were 200 grain at 2900 fps out of a 300 win mag on sitka blacktails. I was very impressed with them as they opened up pretty quick even on the deer.