Thread: Atv Trailer

Default Atv Trailer

I have a flat bed trailer that I can put a small boarder arround, lets say one foot tall.

The trailer will be 48 inches wide to the boarder and the new AtV I want to buy (my first) is going to be 46.8 inches wide.

The question is, can I use this trailer or do I need to buy something wider?

I plan on straping the ATV down well but have nevered trailered an ATV and don't know how much it is going to bounce.

I really don't want to buy another trailer but will I I have to.

I figured you guys would know and thanks for the informatuin in advace.

i think it will work. my trailer is small and my atv large, but i strap her down. i also don't have any sides on the trailer and the atv tires are right on the edge. i'll post a pic when i get home.

how far are you going to travel? at what speeds?

And what size are you trailer tires??

Default trailer

Okay, not to start a great debate, just to put in my .02, actually Stid and I were talking about this about a year ago. Why spend 6-8 thousand on an atv and haul it on a $300 trailer, as he put it, it's the best way he knows of to turn your expensive atv into an expensive soccer ball. Those "tiny" 4x8 trailers aren't constructed to haul atvs/gear for extended trips and up here there's not too much that's not considered extended by lower 48 standards. You may have one of those custom built 4x8 trailers and it may handle the load, but if it's one of those throw-away models from Fred's or Sam's, forget it. I have two different buddies that attempted it, it works for awhile, then snap, 60 miles an hour down the Rich Highway and you're having a yard sale. Spend the extra money on a quality trailer and have some room to spare. Once again, just my opinion.

It is agood trailer, I have hauled a 1000 lb moose on it 750 miles easily.

It is quite capable of handling a 1500-2000 lb load

I plan on trailering the ATV up to 300 miles at hyway speed and then semi rough roads and the tires ar 13 inch 6 ply car tires.

Quote Originally Posted by BEARBOB View Post
    It is agood trailer, I have hauled a 1000 lb moose on it 750 miles easily.

It is quite capable of handling a 1500-2000 lb load

I plan on trailering the ATV up to 300 miles at hyway speed and then semi rough roads and the tires ar 13 inch 6 ply car tires.
    If you've already tested it with that much weight over that distance you won't have a problem with one atv, even if it's a big pig popo 800
    Use enough GOOD rachet straps.

Quote Originally Posted by BEARBOB View Post
    The trailer will be 48 inches wide to the boarder and the new AtV I want to buy (my first) is going to be 46.8 inches wide.

The question is, can I use this trailer or do I need to buy something wider?

I plan on straping the ATV down well but have nevered trailered an ATV and don't know how much it is going to bounce.
    I hauled both my ATV and snowmachine around on a trailer like that. Other than a flat, which destroyed the tire before someone pulled up beside me and told me of it, I didn't have any problems. I finally sold it when my wife got tired of staying home and we bought a second snowmachine and needed a bigger trailer.

If the trailer doesn't already have some good, strong, tie-down points, add some. Then get a couple of the trucker-type rachet straps. When you tie the ATV down, make sure you compress the suspension a lot. That way it won't bounce.