Thread: more tent talk

Default more tent talk

Hi All

I'm looking for a new tent. What I want is a 3 man packable so for me that means less than 10 pounds. I want to try to stay under $600.00. I am looking for 2 doors and 2 vestibules one of them with a side entrance and large enough to cook in with a pack stove. A convertible 3-4 season would be nice but a 3 season is fine. I need it to stand up to lots of rain wind and sideways rain. It will be used for 5+ day southeast hunting trips for 2 people. so what can you guys tell me.

this was one of my first thoughts but I think it may not vent well enough for spring and fall in southeast Alaska.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Prod...&viewAll=False

thanks

woody

These would be my top picks for 2 door, 2 vestibles at ~ 10 lbs. Some of out of the range you wanted to spend but IMO you get what you pay for. I have the Terra Nova Ultra Quasar - 2 person, 2 doors, 2 vestibles, 6.9 lbs.

Terra Nova Super Quasar
    - $971
    - 9.9 lbs.

Mountain Hardwear Trango 3.1
    - $575;
    - 11 lbs. 10 oz.

Mountain Hardwear EV3
    - $750;
    - 7 lbs. 6 oz.

The North Face HIM35
    - $599;
    - 10 lbs. 14 oz.

Hillenberg Kaitum 3
    - $745
    - 6 lbs. 10 oz.

Hillenberg Keron 3
    - $725
    - 8 lbs. 10 oz.

Hillenberg Keron 3GT
    - $835
    - 10 lbs. 13 oz.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Thumbs up Black Diamond...

I was in the same boat as you last year. I got a Black Diamond Guiding Light for my last float trip in SW Alaska (Goodnews). We spent 13 days on it and had driving rains and high winds on occasion. This tent held up like a champ. In high winds, it did not move at all. It is a single wall tent and I loved not hearing the rain fly flap all night long. Water bounced off it and it sounded like a drum beating. Incredible design and quality. Packs smaller than any tent I have ever seen. Literally, like a football. The rods are super slim and lightweight, yet very strong. You could loose this tent in the bottom of your pack. You will see in another post a discussion "Anyone using a Go-lite tent" where I tried to explain why the factory calls the tent water resistant instead of water proof. This tent is waterproof. They have to call it water resistant because the seams can not be taped from the factory due to the type of material it is. You just have to seam seal it (20 minutes) with the included seam sealer bottle. The material is waterproof! This is by far the nicest tent I have owned and I would recommend it to anyone.

http://www.bdel.com/gear/guiding_light.php
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Dan

Did you have any trouble with condensation?

Woody

Default Condensation...

On a few mornings I did notice the condensation was built up pretty good. It was the first trip I had used the tent on and my wife is a cold sleeper. I had kept the tent sealed up tight at night. After I had the condensation in the mornings, I then unzipped the top of the doors (one on each side of the tent) and let it breathe a little. That helped tremedously. It was not a problem when it rained because the overhang (forget technical term) was ample to cover the crack in the top I made by unzipping the doors a few inches. The mesh was still there too so that would keep bugs out. Awning, that is the word. The awnings over the doors are very sturdy and held up well under rain/wind. That gave plenty of protection and left me with no concerns about a 3-4" crack in the doors at the top. Not a big problem, but yes there was some condensation.

I should add to after reading your original post. One of the reasons I got this tent is because it was so roomy. It had plenty of room for two with all your gear. It would fit 3 without gear. The extra room was nice when the weather turned sour. It was nice to have some room in the tent to stretch out a bit. Also, weighing in at 5 lbs total is hard to beat for a tent that size. Awesome design and quality construction round out the deal. Great tent!
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.