Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floscan install

Default Floscan install

Hey all,
    I bought a Floscan fuel meter (digital without the GPS stuff) and just glanced at the installation instructions, it says its simple to install. I have a Sea Sport (IO single 305) and was wondering if this is really true, and is there anyone who has done it and would like to explain the process or give some tips. -Thanks

Default Simple indeed

My set up was on an outboard, but the process is the same. Really, it did not take me long, in fact, I only had time for one beer, darn it!
    About the toughest part was finding a power lead controlled by the key so that the guage turns off when the key is off. As I recall, I just linked up to the tach.
    Just be sure the transducer is pointed in the direction they indicate. Pay attention to how close to the fuel filter it is.
    There may be some calibration required afterwards. Mine was a little bit off, but not much. The directions were pretty easy to follow, and I did not find any shortcuts along the way.

I installed one on my SeaSport last summer. It really wasnt hard to do but I made a mistake wiring it up.
    The instructions were very clear on how to do it but I over looked a step.
    If you need any help give me a call, 694 0898
    Tennessee

Default Floscan

You will love it!!! Just follow the instructions, if you have questions just give them a call. They are very helpful on the phone.

Thumbs up Excellent timing

I just signed on to ask the same thing. I bought the analog gauge (0-32 GPH) with the digital total, along with the optional reset switch.
    My one concern is drilling the hole in the fiberglass. I am installing it on a Sea Sport and think that maybe above the throttle would be a good place.

Is chipping the glass while drilling a real worry?
    I was trying to think of some way to score it prior to drilling.

Snowwolfe, where on the console did you place yours?

Any thoughts or tips...thanks
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Thumbs up cover it.

cover the area you plan to cut the hole in with green or blue masking tape, this will keep the chipping to a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    I just signed on to ask the same thing. I bought the analog gauge (0-32 GPH) with the digital total, along with the optional reset switch.
    My one concern is drilling the hole in the fiberglass. I am installing it on a Sea Sport and think that maybe above the throttle would be a good place.

Is chipping the glass while drilling a real worry?
    I was trying to think of some way to score it prior to drilling.

Snowwolfe, where on the console did you place yours?

Any thoughts or tips...thanks

I have a Floscan being shipped to me to install on my boat also. I do not know what size hole you are drilling but use a holesaw bit for drilling the hole if it's 1/2" or bigger ( 1/2" holesaw bit is the smallest I have ever seen). They cut a nice, neat hole.

Same as Snowwolfe. I installed mine but didn't carefully follow the wiring diagram (forgot to connect the ground). Also ditto on the masking tape over the gelcoatto avoid chipping from the hole saw. You will be very glad you made this investment if your fuel gauge readings are as bad as mine are. Not only will you know how much fuel you're burning for safe return, you'll also benefit by knowing how much fuel to add to each tank on refuleing and avoid the "old faithful" syndrome we've all experienced. Good luck and follow those directions!

Hey thank you for the replies here guys, I guess its one of those things I need to see to do. Obviously, things are still frozen and it will be awhile before I make an attempt at installing it. I understand the tach is swapped out and plugged in at the dash and connected there. The fuel line is cut and the counter installed in the line, then wired into...??? I will give you a call Randy and bend your ear on this.

Be glad to help................after everything thaws! lol
    Tennessee

Default need a hole saw?

Meyers: I have the right diameter hole saw if you need one. I bought it specifically for the Floscan install. Snowwolfe borrowed it for his install. Send a PM if you need it.

run the hole saw backwards when you start cutting in fiberglass/gel coat less tendancy to chip also less chance of the holw saw binding in the fiberglass and yanking the drill out of your hands

Thank you for the generous offer of borrowing the hole saw, I believe it should swap with my original tach. It all matched up according to the specs and when I sized it up. If something doesn't jive when I take it apart I will take you up on the offer. Thank you again!

Thumbs up Good Service

I sent flo scan an email asking if I could screw the sending unit directly into the fuel filter outlet port (up stream of the pump). The answer was there an hour later. Gonna make the install painless.

Hauled the boat to work and stuck it in the shop Friday night. Saturday morn it was still covered in 3" of ice. I had shoveled it the night before, but the thaw/freeze earlier this year left it in tough shape. Glad I did it. That afternoon when I could finally open the cowling everything was covered in condensation. Dripping wet. Decided to leave in another night w/ the cowling up.

I had gotten a good look and decided what parts I needed. That turned out to be the easy part. I went to the 3 big parts stores in town and still don't have 1 of 3 items I was looking for. When did those guys get so young and dumb?

So far all I have done is look at it. But it was nice getting up on the boat and I will be ready for the next chance I get. This weekend is going to be for putting some miles on the track rig and run some rounds throught the 15.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Thumbs up

I got a ladder frozen to the ground against the boat under a forty foot tarp that weights as much as a bag of dog food when its folded up. I do lots of interior stuff inside with a heater and shop lights, but that cold snap kept me away from it. Enjoy that shop and let me know how its going when you tear into it.

Thumbs up Finally

It's about time you got one of these. Your wife get it for you? ........Just kidding.

That oughta help you can get the trim dialed in.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Thumbs up Got a good start on it.

It was so nice on Saturday that I thought I'd get the fuel flow meter in the boat.
    It went pretty much as planned for most of it.
    Using a nipple I screwed the sensor directly to the out port of the fuel filter. Then I just reattached the same fuel line.
    Getting a multi conductor cable ran to the helm proved more fun. It sure is a good way to learn the nooks of your boat.
    The only problem so far is getting the right arbor for the hole saw. A trip to the shop and calling in a crew truck did not produce one. There is over a dozen kits at the shop and not one arbor.
    Anyway, today I brought one home and drilled the fiberglass. Thanks for the tips, the tape and running the saw backwords left a beautiful hole. It called for a 3 1/16" hole, but the 3" worked perfect.
    So now all that is left is install the reset switch, the forward splicing and tapping the circuits.

The total gallon reset switch I ordered is a simple on/off toggle. The instructions discuss a push button momentary off switch. Did anybody else order this switch? I suspect I got the wrong one.

So far I have about 5-6 hours invested, not counting the wasted time looking for the arbor. It is counting the time I spend getting off tangent. If I notice a loose attachment, I find myself checking all the similar ones as far as I can reach. Or straightening existing cables with more tie wraps. I did revisit the new antennae cable from last year and notice one or two roof panel screws are not holding, slightly sagging the wood molding.

So a good evening and progress well made!
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default Flo Scan Still Going

I installed a Flo Scan around 15 years ago. You get a good piece of equipment when you buy and install a Flo Scan unit. As I remember it was a simple install but that was on a simple fuel system. If you have a system with fuel injection and a return line to the fuel tank, then it is not quite as simple. I believe a second sensor is used in the return line.
    Before buying the unit email the tech or rep and they will tell you exactly what unit will work on your engine.
    I think that once you have used the Flo Scan for a few trips you will wounder how you lived without it for so long.

Default Straight hose section before meter body

Bullbuster:

Check the installation instructions.

I remember (I think) that you should have some minimum length of fuel hose before the meter body to help the fuel flow streamlines straighten out a bit before entering the meter body.

My memory may have failed, but I don't think you want to connect it directly to the outlet of the fuel filter if you want to get the most accurate performance possible out of the meter.

On my Navman fuel flow meter, the sensor has to be vertical to work correctly. I don't know if it's the same for Floscan. It's a great tool. Mpg (statute or nautical, when hooked to gps), gallons per hour, time to destination, distance to destination, hours on engine, etc. About the only thing you can't do is to enter the price of a gallon of fuel and have it tell you how much money you're spending as you run your boat. That's the BEST thing it does (or doesn't do)!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast